[SOLVED] Formatting and moving an SSD

May 31, 2020
Hey guys,

So I purchased a prebuilt gaming PC with windows 10 that will arrive in a couple of days. What I would like to do is format and transfer the SSD in my current computer to the new one but I'm unsure of the proper procedure. Can I do a standard "quick format" in disk manager of the main SSD even though that's the SSD that has windows installed on it? Or could I plug it into the new computer straight from the old computer and use disk manager in the new computer to format the drive?

Sorry for the newbie question I'm just pretty green when it comes to working with hardware,

Solution
You want to use is as a primary (Windows) disk or added?
If you want to install Windows on it, you can plug it in your new pc and simply format it before the installation starts.
If you want to use it as a second drive, it doesn't matter when you format it, you don't even need to format it at all, if you don't want to, just plug it and use it.
You want to use is as a primary (Windows) disk or added?
If you want to install Windows on it, you can plug it in your new pc and simply format it before the installation starts.
If you want to use it as a second drive, it doesn't matter when you format it, you don't even need to format it at all, if you don't want to, just plug it and use it.

Solution