[SOLVED] Formatting ans Partitions

Jan 29, 2019
I want to do i clean install of windows 10 and i have a questions about drives i have 2 drives a hdd and ssd the OS is going on the ssd Before i reformat the pc should i unplug the HHD because the Os inst going on there

Solution
Another good reason to remove hdd is, apart from win 10 seeing itself on hdd and probably wanting to install there, if you leave the hdd in and installed onto ssd, the installer is likely to use the boot partition on the hdd for the ssd, meaning that if you ever removed hdd, the ssd wouldn't boot.

if you put hdd back in, make sure the bios doesn't add it to the boot order or pc might accidentally boot from it at a later time.

ideally, you best copy anything off hdd you want to keep and formatting it later. Here is how:
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this...

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jackhiggins28 : "Formatting ans Partitions"

You can only have one Windows master drive. Before you install Windows 10 on the SSD, unplug the HDD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Another good reason to remove hdd is, apart from win 10 seeing itself on hdd and probably wanting to install there, if you leave the hdd in and installed onto ssd, the installer is likely to use the boot partition on the hdd for the ssd, meaning that if you ever removed hdd, the ssd wouldn't boot.

if you put hdd back in, make sure the bios doesn't add it to the boot order or pc might accidentally boot from it at a later time.

ideally, you best copy anything off hdd you want to keep and formatting it later. Here is how:
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to wipe, change X to that number and press enter (make sure not to choose ssd by mistake)
Once the drive you want to wipe is chosen, type Clean

Solution