Question formatting flash drive

Feb 2, 2024
So went and bought a Sandisk iXpand flashdrive for the reason that it's lighting to usb-c so I could use it on all 3 of my devices. But I plug this thing in and it tells me I need to download some app, I do that and it doesn't even work as intended because it it's not read as a proper location in the internal file manager wants to go through some app just to save room on my ipad. Also the app takes up space I'm trying to save too? Who thought of this????

My question is can I just format this so it be read as a normal flash drive without bells and whistles? What should I look out for while doing this? I just really don't want to use the cloud and this was the only flashdrive I could find with these two heads in one.

edit: I forgot to mention that my goal is to manually backup my device which the flashdrive kind of is trying to push my towards. I want to move the files not just copy them and delete them. I know the memory on the ipad is an SSD which has a TBW which I want to avoid eating up, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited:
So went and bought a Sandisk iXpand flashdrive for the reason that it's lighting to usb-c so I could use it on all 3 of my devices. But I plug this thing in and it tells me I need to download some app, I do that and it doesn't even work as intended because it it's not read as a proper location in the internal file manager wants to go through some app just to save room on my ipad. Also the app takes up space I'm trying to save too? Who thought of this????

My question is can I just format this so it be read as a normal flash drive without bells and whistles? What should I look out for while doing this? I just really don't want to use the cloud and this was the only flashdrive I could find with these two heads in one.

edit: I forgot to mention that my goal is to manually backup my device which the flashdrive kind of is trying to push my towards. I want to move the files not just copy them and delete them. I know the memory on the ipad is an SSD which has a TBW which I want to avoid eating up, but please correct me if I'm wrong!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/postdownload

Feb 2, 2024
Delete partition(s) first, after that it doesn't matter if full or fast.
I deleted the volume then formatted it and the properties still shows the original name on it.
And when insert it to the iPad it would still show it connecting to the app (before i deleted it).
zffnUsc.png