Former Intel CEO Drives Education Reform in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Performance based raises for teachers is inherently flawed.

A teacher can teach very well, but if a kid has a learning disability, a behavioral problem, or in some cases just plain stupid; the teacher is going to have lower pay?

Furthermore, look at the recent standardized testing scandals. When pay is factored into student performance, invariably teachers will "teach the test" without giving any thought or care to the quality of the instruction, as long as the kids do well on the test.

I think too much emphasis is placed on the initial school system. I remember jack squat from school. I think the benefit of school is less academic and a lot more social in nature. But rest assured, the smart kids are curious. The kids good at math, actually enjoy it. Everyone in HS is finding their place, be it physically, socially or academically.

I think the U.S. just has more dumb kids loaded up on high fructose corn syrup and they all get gold stars for participation. We as a society are literally breeding a failure of a generation because we're failures as parents.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
No you're missing the point.

I have been an instructor for going on 3 years.

When I stomp my foot, that means what I'm teaching is on the test. Memorize this one minute part of my entire lesson plan as this part matters to me.

In fact you obviously didnt hear about the scandal in Atlanta. So here's a quick link:

http://news.yahoo.com/americas-biggest-teacher-principal-cheating-scandal-unfolds-atlanta-213734183.html

The teachers/principal were actually CHANGING test answers after the test so the students would do better, and their school would get more money.

And standardized tests aren't about "improvement" they are about raw score data. So a good teacher can improve a learning disabled child, sure, but they still will score worse than Student A on the test thereby lowering the teachers pay.

Even if the tests were a measurement of improvement, the baseline could be skewed(sandbagged) to show a massive improvement, and in-turn an increase in teacher pay.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Performance based incentives for teachers have a dismal track record in many places. Many teachers end up cheating to get by. As long as it is based on the results of examinations the teacher will not personally mark there should be no problem though.

Good ideas. We have had a huge brain drain of teachers over the last 50 years. The US used to hold back women from same pay as men so it was extremely difficult for women to become doctors, lawyers, scientists but in today's era women all have equality. So now a huge part of the highly intelligent women do not teach like in our prior history and education sadly never became competitive enough to attract that type of talent.

With that said rating performance should be done at the district level to help prevent corruption at the school level. Also, I never see it mentioned but good teachers do things that many times are not taken into account like teaching other teachers on technology, helping other teachers develop lessons, differentiated instruction, reaching out to parents to make them be involved when otherwise they may not be. So like in business you have the part of your review that is doing your job, i.e. kids improvement, but also going beyond should be accounted for as its those teachers that are the true leaders that lift entire schools up and its those teachers we need to attract and retain.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
translation... large Corporation wants a placated workforce that is conditioned as memory bots and not thinkers.

this shit is pure evil... unfortunately it will come to pass because the us media does not really cover the issue other than to propagandize, and americans dont bother to question anything... except for the fringe

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]Your logic is inherently flawed. If a teacher can teach very well, then a student with a learning disability or behavioral problem will still continue to improve because a skilled teacher knows how to teach different kinds of kids, even if they can't fundamentally make them excel at being scholars. Furthermore, when teachers invariably "teach the test", then they're invariably teaching the material. Know how to read a question and input the right answer in a test environment? Then there's a good chance you know the damn material. lol. In the US, we just have more incessantly stupid adults that continue to breed a hotbed of ignorance in this country because most refuse to educate themselves concerning the bullshit they let spill out of their mouths.[/citation]
sadly you are advocating a future populated by adults who will not have the ability to educate themselves because their only exposure to education will be to memorize memorize memorize without ever experiencing this thing called thinking.

what's hilarious is you are advocating the idiotic standards systems which enrich testing corporations and produce placated non-tjinking memory bots who are all too willing to be spoon fed the answers to everything in life. these people will have no ability to do the thing you want at the end of your post called "educate themselves".

your ignorance of this seems to imply that you yourself are just mindlessly regurgitating propaganda handed down to you from your corporate media masters... pathetic.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]Your logic is inherently flawed. If a teacher can teach very well, then a student with a learning disability or behavioral problem will still continue to improve because a skilled teacher knows how to teach different kinds of kids, even if they can't fundamentally make them excel at being scholars. Furthermore, when teachers invariably "teach the test", then they're invariably teaching the material. Know how to read a question and input the right answer in a test environment? Then there's a good chance you know the damn material. lol. In the US, we just have more incessantly stupid adults that continue to breed a hotbed of ignorance in this country because most refuse to educate themselves concerning the bullshit they let spill out of their mouths.[/citation]

one kid in my highschool, a friend, planned to drop out on the 3rd year because he didnt care anymore. he was skilled in drawing, and programing to some extent, but just did not care about any other aspect of school, we got him to stay but he did nothing but use school as a 7 hour place to draw and talk to friends.

we had 11 girls who decided they didn't need school and failed because they didn't care any more,
3 students who took up the career choice of drug dealer
and another who convinced a 30 something year old she was over 18, and wanted to get preggers, she got her wish, and he went to jail for it, never knowing she was i believe 17 (yea, who checks an id for sex)

sure, skilled teachers are a blessing. i had a history teacher, history being a class i fail or get a d because i just cant care anymore after 10 years or so of hearing the same crap over and over and over again... but he made history interesting. i passed with the highest grade in his class.

the year before, i despised that history teacher, because it was a droneing note fest, with no personality at all... he wasnt a bad person, but you could tell that history teaching wasn't not why they highered him, it was a secondary benefit.

most teachers were i had were droneing kind, and the few that werent were the ones i liked and passed with flying colors.

what we need to do is give teachers k-5or6 a pay raise, but no bonus points for teaching well. dont get me wrong teaching is a big part of their job, but k-5or6 is more about dealing with young kids than it is teaching them. give them bouns money if they have other skills like dealing with kids who have problems, not just learning but social.

6or7-8 is where you introduce the bonuses for teaching, but if a kid has to take the year over again, its not marked against you as that kid did not even try to pass, i know people like that, they just didn't care at all.

9-12, that is where most of the money goes for teaching well. bring the standards up, make a highschool diploma matter again, and dont be afraid to weed out the kids who dont care. i can tell you that whenever a teacher want not droning on and on in a class, i was passing with a B or an A but whenever most of the class was a not taking couldn't care less affair, well... i was in the D range. only time i failed a highschool class was when i wasnt not told up front how heavy the grading scale was effecting me, i despised that class and that teacher, not because he was bad, but because of how that classes format was and it was a required class on the last year... managed to make up for it without taking 12 again, but so didn't like his teaching style.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I love the fact that he is actually making changes to a standard that are based on the rest of the world's educational performace. The average US Citizen has no respect for education and has no clue how far we are behind the rest of the world.

G

Take the smarter and self motivated students and place them in an environment much like college 12 credit hours a semester, with 3 hours of instruction per week per class + labs, learn on your own! Take the unmotivated or less apt and move them to trade schools with limited academics (basic grammer and math), and teach them car repair and other trades, with on the job type learning mixed with limited lab and classroom instruction and 20 hours weekly parttime Paid work hours (in their chosen trade) after the first 2 years of training! Special education can be part of both tracks academic or trade depending of the student!
This model will work just fine during the last 4 years of schooling with grades 1 through 8, pre high school, taught the traditional way.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]CollegeOrTrade[/nom]Take the smarter and self motivated students and place them in an environment much like college 12 credit hours a semester, with 3 hours of instruction per week per class + labs, learn on your own! Take the unmotivated or less apt and move them to trade schools with limited academics (basic grammer and math), and teach them car repair and other trades, with on the job type learning mixed with limited lab and classroom instruction and 20 hours weekly parttime Paid work hours (in their chosen trade) after the first 2 years of training! Special education can be part of both tracks academic or trade depending of the student!This model will work just fine during the last 4 years of schooling with grades 1 through 8, pre high school, taught the traditional way.[/citation]

that is a good idea, but you have to take into account bad teachers. a teacher that drones on and on saps any will to learn out of a kid, no matter what.

take math, something i excel in. i got a b in most classes because i taught myself, not because the teacher taught me, and i constantly got docked points for not showing work... basic math i can do in my head faster than i can prove i know it by doing work, and you want to assign 100 problems of that crap a night...

so take in to account that in 8th grade i was the highest grade in math that didn't get move to a highschool class, but i fail typing, passed with a d in science (seriously, 5 pages of notes a day... tell me you would excell there for an 8th grade science level, again another class i love but did bad at because of the teacher) a d in english (take the grammar part of english out, and i was at a collage level, told that by several teachers in school, add in grammar and im barely passing)

what do you think my placement in highschool math and science was?
if you said they put me in a remedial class for math, you are correct.

lucky for me, a call from a my parrents got me in the normal math class, granted i still did somewhat badly beause the teacher gave us 50+ things a day to do, all solveing equations, and all of it i could so in 5 minutes before class started, i just got docked points for not showing work.

unless your solution took into account bad teaching styles, i would say many kids would be sent to the wrong area

Status
Not open for further replies.