Forrester Says Windows 8 Tablets Are Dead-on-Arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
windows does have the most potential out there,, already have phones, consoles, Pcs,, not too difficult to make the tablet integrate with them and make it a 'home base' or controller... maybe even a second screen in some cases

G

Could work if it ties in to Windows, like the Go to My PC software and you can use your desktop/laptop programs on it, add Media Center, XBL, they could have a compelling product!

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I've been waiting for Microsoft to finally starting making some nice tablets. Screw Apple and Droid tablets. Give me one with a Windows OS so I can use any of my PC programs on it. Enjoy your Angry Birds while I play Starcraft.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
It's all been a fad and it's now dying. Microsoft will have to have hype big enough to compete with the release of Windows 95 in order to re-energize the tablet market or at least make their tablet more successful.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Someonewithnoname[/nom]Could work if it ties in to Windows, like the Go to My PC software and you can use your desktop/laptop programs on it, add Media Center, XBL, they could have a compelling product![/citation]

You can already do that with the current crop of stuff out there...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]lancelot123[/nom]I've been waiting for Microsoft to finally starting making some nice tablets. Screw Apple and Droid tablets. Give me one with a Windows OS so I can use any of my PC programs on it. Enjoy your Angry Birds while I play Starcraft.[/citation]

Can I file this under the "I don't know what a tablet is to be used for?" - Guy, MS tried that already (your suggestion) and failed miserably. Why the hell would they go down that road again?

nbraybrook

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]lancelot123[/nom]I've been waiting for Microsoft to finally starting making some nice tablets. Screw Apple and Droid tablets. Give me one with a Windows OS so I can use any of my PC programs on it. Enjoy your Angry Birds while I play Starcraft.[/citation]

And how are you doing to play Starcraft on a tablet? Windows needs to stick to OS and PC / Laptop, tablets are a fad, they are good for some things but realistically nothing more than casual entertainment, light web browsing, maybe a movie. They lack to many features to be highly productive as a real comp or laptop.

G

[citation][nom]jerrspud[/nom]I'm I the only one waiting to buy one that has a real OS?[/citation]

Why dont you buy the acer ones with windows 7 loaded?

haldarc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Forrester couldn't be more wrong. I have an entire corporation just waiting to buy some Windows 8 tablets. Finally we can get rid of these Apple "toys" and get some real work done. True Microsoft Domain integration, corporate level control, and the ability to utilize our vast library of existing applications (without having to give Apple a cut). No doubt they're definately taking their time, but it will be worth the wait.

Cormag

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Honestly I think the biggest hurdle for Windows tablets so far has been the price...even the cheapest one tend to cost 2-3 times more than their Android counter parts. Personally, I won't get a tablet until it runs windows programs. Anything else is just a toy.

I truly hope Microsoft integrates Windows 8 into all devices, PC, phone, tablet, and XBOX. Then I can have one ecosystem to contain all aspects of my electronic life. Makes things simpler and more compatible.

dargon_supreme

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I agree. Integration is the key. I prefer to have a computer, a tablet and a phone running the same OS, like Windows 8, fully integrated, than having an Android phone, a Windows 7 PC and a iOS tablet without any integration. That is why Apple is strong. Microsoft should go that way.

analysts, they're always saying stuff. if, by any chance, they turn out to be right, nvidia, microsoft will be in trouble. arm and ms are betting a lot on winarm (temp.)alliance. afaik windows phone didn't make much of a dent in the smartphone market.
and tablet craze really is slowly calming down. look what happened to netbook, when they started out, people bought them, now they're almost junk. pc makers are getting out of tablet market (or so they have said) and are focusing more on ultrabooks and laptops.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I think Windows 8 tablets are going to be great, but I agree that they are going to be very late to the game. They should be going on sale for this Christmas. A lot of people are going to be buying iPad2s and Tegra 3 tablets this year and will have no use for another tablet in 18 months.

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

1)How are you going to play Starcraft or any other serious game on a tablet? Are you going buy a keyboard and mouse for it, and essentially turn it into a 10 inch PC?

2)Do you really think it's going to cost under $500? The cheapest Win 7 slate I could find is the Gigabyte S1080, at around $650. And if you want the kind of hardware to play games like Starcraft, well that will probably run you around 1k if such a think will ever exist.

G

ah microsoft. 3 steps behind as usual. taking bets on if you'll have to defrag their tablets too. any takers?

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Forrester is right. Microsoft is simply getting to market too late in every new consumer electronics segment. First it was MP3 players, then smart phones, now tablets. These new segments are maturing faster than Microsoft can develop "me too" products to compete in them. The Nook tablet and Kindle Fire are already below the $250.00 price point, and Apple will likely have a 7.8" Sub $300.00 iPad before Windows 8 even ships. With the high cost of the Windows 8 OS, few Windows Tablet applications, and no supplemental revenue streams from books, movies, and music sales, PC makers will be unable to compete. The playing field is already set for Apple, Google, and Amazon - Microsoft should focus on making Windows 8 a great Desktop/Laptop OS rather than risky Tablet/Desktop Hybrid OS that tries to be both, and in the end does neither very well.

G

Apparently some people here don't realize that windows 8 tablets will run on ARM. That means that your legacy applications WILL NOT WORK unless they are recompiled (and possibly even re-written) to run on ARM

whitecrowro

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If they're to be the the first killer next IPAD III then they'll do. Else, there's enough market to fill in time replacing all those laptops, PCs...

G

I just don't see the market. Apple have an integrated phone/tablet/computer system, high performance (for a price). Android devices are cheaper, more flexible. Where is the gap for a Windows tablet? It may be there, but it's a small one. And app developers will work with 1. Apple devices, 2. Android devices, and 3. - well, probably nothing, because there time is better spent on a new app for Apple...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Psychobob : Todays Windows7 tablets are not the same kind of tablets used by Apple and Android... they are ATOM+ based with huge SSD units running a full blown desktop. When Win8 tablets ship - they will use the same tech as any other tablet.

- - - - - - -
As someone noted, yes - YOU CAN run MS-OFFICE 2010 / Windows7 on an iPad... kind-of, using a Citrix App.

- - - - - - -

I think Forrester is wrong... I'm not a fan of MS and MS has strangely not done well with WP7 - considering most people who have such phones are VERY happy with them.

He is CORRECT that MS is starting at the bottom and will need to do something that makes WM8 (Windows Mobile 8 - that is what I'm calling it) tablets sell... And I Think MS is doing this the right way... if it fails, then MS has no other usable way to enter the tablet market. HP failed with WebOS, RIM is failing with Playbook, Android is suffering with lawsuits from Apple and paying royalties to MS.

The Eco system of Amazon and B&N works very good, low-price yet functional with excellent content.

With WM8 Tablets running METRO, it means that *IT* will run ALL Windows 8 desktop APPS!
Read the plans for Windows 8: The interface is Metro. Writing Apps for Metro requires the developer to make x86 and ARM versions. They are NOT allowed to make just an x86 version and stick in Microsoft's APP store... which means, no sales for the developer.

So... every tool, game, productivity, video, etc that works for Win8... will work on their tablets.

Its THE ONLY way Microsoft will break into the tablet market... if it fails, Apple will remain the dominate player.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]It's all been a fad and it's now dying. Microsoft will have to have hype big enough to compete with the release of Windows 95 in order to re-energize the tablet market or at least make their tablet more successful.[/citation]
If the tablet market is a fad - then there is no reason for MS to get into it. They are trying to do it right, they fails for the past 10+ years with tablet editions of Windows.

What is your data to show that tablets are dying? For many people, it does eveything they need. Its useful... its handy. I use my iPad about as much as I use my ThinkPad. Right now, the Android players are STILL playing catch-up with the iPad2. They are ALL easily not as good - other than having a higher resolution cameras. We can expect the iPad3 around March again.

For now, my iPad(1) does pretty good with what it does... I'm not going to replace it with an iPad2. And unless there is some major improvements to Android (interfacing with desktop / user data) or Windows 8 tablets... it will be an iPad3 for my next purchase.

PS: I dislike Apple more than I dislike Microsoft. But in the end - they are ALL evil, including Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.