Forum Subsections

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Ok, then if there was an icon, or something that would indicate new post is such subsection, that would help. I have no clue if there is something new posted in the Asus or Abit subsection, without actually go and check.

Implemented, check it out in the Hardware tab.

pat

Expert
Ok, then if there was an icon, or something that would indicate new post is such subsection, that would help. I have no clue if there is something new posted in the Asus or Abit subsection, without actually go and check.

Implemented, check it out in the Hardware tab.

great, Thanks.

How about:

(Hardware Tab)

Primary Hardware
-------------------
CPUs
Graphic Cards
Motherboards and Chipsets

Secondary Hardware
----------------------
RAM / Memory
Sound Cards
Harddrives / Storage
Optical Drivers / Removable Storage
Peripherials / Other Hardware

Overclocking
--------------
General
CPU's
Graphic Cards
Motherboards

DIY Builds
------------
General DIY
(Networking Tab)

Hardware
----------
General
Network Interface Cards
Routers / Switches / Hubs

General Networking
---------------------
Wired
Wireless
Firewalls
Other

(Mobile Tab)

General
--------
Laptops and Notebooks
Palm / handhelds
Mobile / Cell Phones
Other

Technologies
-------------
Bluetooth
IrDA
GSM
(Software Tab)

Operating Systems
-------------------
DOS
Windows 9x
Windows 2k / XP
Windows Vista
Linux
Other

General Software
------------------
Games
Other

(Community)

The Other
Classifies

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea what happened to just having NETWORK, WINDOWS XP, and Motherboards and Chipsets...... we should just take on the same subsections as before.

and then maybe in the "OTHER" we can have like the other stuff like polls, bad help/support etc, they can deff limit everything and have alot more traffic on the site.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Steve how hard is it for you to move sections around and merge them? If it's really difficult then let us all brainstorm for a while until we can all agree on something. If it's easy then please start with a few easy changes like moving the printer section into the hardware section and maybe just merging the poll section with the other section since I don't see a reason to have both anymore.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
dh,

Poll: Merging of Polls & Other does makes some sense. Polls does not exist as a standalone anymore anyways. I can check with Fredi.

Printer, that is a different story. We now have Computer Peripherals in CE, and everything in there is from category standpoint, related to printers. Now why would we have only printers move to Hardware, and not HP, Gateway, .. and other peripherals?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I already gave my suggestion, but here it is again. Put all the new changes in a TG folder and put the old lay out back the way it was. What! Ok, one or two more folder, but that’s it!

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Jiffy, your point is well taken, but take a look at the top of this page, you see Hardware, Network, Mobile, Twitch, Den... tg has broken down their universe into those categories (actually sites with domains, etc.)... the tabs more or less corrspond to those.

The old forums (TOF) was good, but do you think that architecture supports the new vision?

So the question is, how to keep/make you guys happy, while going fwd with the new design.

dhlucke

Polypheme
dh,

Poll: Merging of Polls & Other does makes some sense. Polls does not exist as a standalone anymore anyways. I can check with Fredi.

Printer, that is a different story. We now have Computer Peripherals in CE, and everything in there is from category standpoint, related to printers. Now why would we have only printers move to Hardware, and not HP, Gateway, .. and other peripherals?

To be honest I didn't look very closely at the whole section of CE but it is Consumer electronics and I don't think printers or periphreals really belong in there. The natural place to find them, for me, is in hardware. In other forums the printer section is either in hardware or periphreals. Consumer elctronics should be stuff like digital cameras and TVs maybe.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
OK, I am looking at hothardware.

They have 1000 topics in PC Gaming, we have 200k+

They have 1200 topics in OS and S/W, we have maybe 150k+

When you have more data, you have to organize it.

The data is NOT going away.

So the trick is how to hide the level of complexity so it becomes a friendly environment, without losing the details.

How about a hot page (or users choice) that gathers -virtually - stuff from all the forums? This could be its own tab.

Open to ideas.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
dh,

To be honest I didn't look very closely at the whole section of CE but it is Consumer electronics and I don't think printers or periphreals really belong in there. The natural place to find them, for me, is in hardware. In other forums the printer section is either in hardware or periphreals. Consumer elctronics should be stuff like digital cameras and TVs maybe.

It would just make the hardware section that much bigger. But if that is what you guys want, I can discuss with Fredi.

dhlucke

Polypheme
dh,

It would just make the hardware section that much bigger. But if that is what you guys want, I can discuss with Fredi.

Let's get a consensus first. I'm all for moving the periphreal section into the hardware section minus that digital camera section which I think should stay in consumer electronics.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Do you separate your garbage at home into 300 bags and take them out to the curb each week? No you don’t. You cram a bag until it’s full. Why should we have to sort through the garbage? That’s what the Search and Google bar is for.

A hot folder…….What happens to garbage after so long? It deteriorates and rots away. Why can’t all games be in additional pages? Who cares what was post 200 post back or back in the beginning of the year. Let that garbage rot. What is hot is what ever gets posted today.

The ideal is to be a helpful place and more importantly to have traffic, right? Well, how is that going to happen when things are misplaced or the only respond is “that was already answer do a search” or "post that in the so and so thread". A lot of times the answer might be there, but finding it is another story. You can’t stop the same question from being asked over and over. Some may complain, but usually 10 out of 10 times someone will answer it. People here will build you a whole PC if you ask, got to love them. You never now where a post might lead and you can learn something other then what the topic is about, so how can you organize that or be able to sort through it?

It’s really simple, just put all the little tiny garbage bags in one big bag. Why does there have to be so many when there is no demand? If we have a whole group of new members I don’t see the Christmas tree lighting up.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Let's get a consensus first. I'm all for moving the periphreal section into the hardware section minus that digital camera section which I think should stay in consumer electronics.

You'll get my vote for moving periphreals into hardware ... just seems logical and what we're used to ... :D

You gonna have a mighty big hardware page!