[SOLVED] Forza horizon 4 massive performance problems since NVME upgrade

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
hello.

ever since i upgraded my os drive to a nvme drive and installed the game on said nvme drive.

forza horizon 4 works fine for like 5 minutes but then i get a solid 2 minutes of 8 fps with 20% gpu usage.
(average fps on maxed 1440p settings is between 70 and 90)

the terrain refuses to load and the game kicks you from online...

during this moment i noticed in task manager my gpu usage goes to 30/40% and my cpu usage shoot to 100%....

i'm running the game on maxed settings with a rtx 2070 and that ran perfectly fine for hours on end before....

it should not make the cpu go to 100% since it legit ran fine on this exact same hardware before the nvme drive...

any tips?

atm uploading a video to youtube wich shows task manager and the problem happening with multiple car configurations. (it says it
ll take like 50 min to upload)

my full specs are

xeon x5675 cpu in dual socket

56 gb of ram
rtx 2070 (not overclocked i tested that too)

this seems to be a forza specific problem since all the other games i've been benchmarking has had 0 problems..

red dead redemption 2 is also installed on said nvme drive and also maxed the settings and no problems whatsoever

loading times are ok and no popping textures ect ..

i at first thought maybe i need to put my pcie to nvme adapter in another slot wich i did with no change..

thank you in advance for all your help..

again i'll attach the video after its uploaded

Solution
forza horizon 4 works fine for like 5 minutes but then i get a solid 2 minutes of 8 fps with 20% gpu usage.
The game has its main thread running at a high priority which *forces windows to cut off secondary tasks until the main task finishes...since this is a game though the main task doesn't finish until you quit the game and since the main thread needs the info from the secondary tasks to continue you get all kinds of issues from longer loading times to missing textures to stutters or slow downs.

If a higher-priority thread becomes available to run, the system ceases to execute the lower-priority thread (without allowing it to finish using...
The game has its main thread running at a high priority which *forces windows to cut off secondary tasks until the main task finishes...since this is a game though the main task doesn't finish until you quit the game and since the main thread needs the info from the secondary tasks to continue you get all kinds of issues from longer loading times to missing textures to stutters or slow downs.

If a higher-priority thread becomes available to run, the system ceases to execute the lower-priority thread (without allowing it to finish using its time slice) and assigns a full time slice to the higher-priority thread.
look at this video,what you describe happens at 0:40 so much so that even enemy driver AI freezes, the solutions is just afterwards.
Since it's an online game messing with the game might get you kicked or even banned so use at your own discretion.
View: https://youtu.be/fPJ_Lsf8tFY?t=40

Solution

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016

look at this video,what you describe happens at 0:40 so much so that even enemy driver AI freezes, the solutions is just afterwards.
Since it's an online game messing with the game might get you kicked or even banned so use at your own discretion.
View: https://youtu.be/fPJ_Lsf8tFY?t=40
i dont quite understand how this started though. before i upgraded to an nvme drive i ran the game for hours driving beyond 400kmh without problems. it all seems to start when the nvme drive replaced the sata ssd i had

i dont quite understand how this started though. before i upgraded to an nvme drive i ran the game for hours driving beyond 400kmh without problems. it all seems to start when the nvme drive replaced the sata ssd i had
Windows is a delicate balance,maybe the driver for the nvme uses a little bit more or less CPU power and it messes up the previous balance,it definitely routes more data to the game faster so that could also be the problem.

apple tech geek

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Windows is a delicate balance,maybe the driver for the nvme uses a little bit more or less CPU power and it messes up the previous balance,it definitely routes more data to the game faster so that could also be the problem.
i transferred the game to a hdd with no change (actually i did notice it instantly showed the problem when loading into the game )

atm i am redownloading the game to see if it indeed is a corrupt file perhaps..