[SOLVED] Found a dead bug on top of my GPU backplate with some substance/spots on it. Do you think it damaged my GPU or PC?

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
UPDATE: From the replies and help I got, its not from the bug, it may be oil from the thermal pad. Read the newer post at the bottom, and reply down below maybe you can help us figure it out. Thanks*

PC Specs:
Intell 7700k//Kraken X62 AIO//EVGA 1080ti FTW3//Corsair 16gb 3000 ram sticks x2//ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO//960 nvme EVO SSD 256gb//EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Powersupply//I'm running two monitors at 1920 x 1080//x4 fans, 2 in front, 1 on top, and 1 at the rear//nzxt elite case with tempered glass side panel
PC is under my desk and I didn't spill anything from the top

Greetings everyone,

So today I noticed the GPU backplate looked like there was some kind of substance on top of it. I thought the Kraken AIO may have been leaking so I took out the side panel to take a closer look. And when I looked it at, the spots weren't where the AIO would be leaking from. I checked and touched around the AIO and lines and it was dry and still dusty. Then I noticed a dead bug on the corner that was dead and standing near a little spot where there was the same substance/spots on the backplate. My PC is running fine and I haven't noticed a difference at all. The temps and fan/pump speeds are fine.I don't even know when this happened as I don't look inside my PC much. Here are some pictures:

View: https://i.imgur.com/ibcj12f.jpg
If this was normal water/liquid wouldn't it be dry by now? I touched the spots and it didn't seem like it was wet at all.
View: https://i.imgur.com/V0ndNsB.jpg
Another angle
View: https://i.imgur.com/ta7JZNZ.jpg
Top view
View: https://i.imgur.com/dlLadnS.jpg
You can see the dead bug clearly
View: https://i.imgur.com/smHmEqq.jpg
My PC temps and fan speeds while online watching a few streams

So I have a few questions for you awesome tech savvy people. I appreciate any help you can give me and please don't get annoyed by my last 2 question, I'm OCD sometimes:

1. What do you think the substance is? I don't think it's a leak from the AIO as you can see the spots are not near where the AIO could be leaking. Also wouldn't the spots be gone by now and dried out or look like it wasn't there? I was thinking it was something that the bug excreted and it came coming out from it?

2. I'm not sure what the texture or consistency was when the substance was fresh. Maybe it was slimy or a little sticky? Do you guys think it was watery and it damaged anything under the backplate or damaged the PC in general? Surely a bug this small couldn't gush out watery substance all over the GPU?

3. Should I clean the substance or whatever it is? If so can I use a Qtip with alcohol?

4. Sorry OCD question. I don't know much about electrical related things, but do you think this can short circuit or damage anything in my house electrically, or damage my outlets or electrical wires etc...? Because water on anything electrical could cause issues with electricals. Please tell me no :S

5. Another OCD question. If the substance/spots came from the bug, it's not toxic right? I mean the backplate does get hot and maybe that substance is slowly burning into vapor and the fan is blowing it out of my PC. I know I'm OCD lol

That's about it. I appreciate any help and info you guys can give me. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Solution
#1 While I envision something like a laser strike to the arachnids in Starship Troopers, your little desiccated friend didn't expel that much liquid. When you say it might have been slimy or sticky - that's just guessing because of the bug, right? It's only close to some seams, vent slots and screw access holes (just an observation) - it's oil from the thermal paste or gap pad filler.

#2 No harm.

#3 You could clean it but not worth the effort as it will probably happen again

#4 The PC power supply has a fuse that will burn out before it could even begin turning your place into an inferno, but that's not happening from the residue

#5 I'll just leave it at, "No".

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
#1 While I envision something like a laser strike to the arachnids in Starship Troopers, your little desiccated friend didn't expel that much liquid. When you say it might have been slimy or sticky - that's just guessing because of the bug, right? It's only close to some seams, vent slots and screw access holes (just an observation) - it's oil from the thermal paste or gap pad filler.

#2 No harm.

#3 You could clean it but not worth the effort as it will probably happen again

#4 The PC power supply has a fuse that will burn out before it could even begin turning your place into an inferno, but that's not happening from the residue

#5 I'll just leave it at, "No".

Last edited:
Solution

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
@gmagdna

Thanks for your help. Yeah I think you are right. I don't think its a bug at all. I posted on another site and someone told me he doesn't think a small inspect like that would pour out that much liquid/substance. This is what he wrote, maybe you can give your thoughts on what he said? @gmagdna

He wrote: "It looks like condensation to me, as the dust on your fan looks soggy as well, dust doesn't form big particles like that unless it's humid, I'm really not sure though."

I'd also like to add that I live in tropical weather and we don't need to use air conditioning/heating since the weather here is really nice all year long, except for the winter months which is right now for us, where it gets cold especially during the night. At night the weather is between 65-71 degrees F. Normal weather when its not winter its around 81-85 degrees F at night here. So I don't know if maybe it was condensation like the other person said. What do you think?

Also if it was condensation or oil from the thermal paste/pad, that wouldn't damage the card right? And that stuff would eventually evaporate? It probably already evaporated and we can see the spots just because of the dust?

He also said for question 2: "Yeah there's no way all that was from a bug, it's difficult to know if this liquid got on your PCB, you have to open it and check." Should I open it up? If so what am I looking for and what should I do besides cleaning the back plate? Cleaning it with anti bacterial soap and wiping it down with alcohol good enough? Ofc I'd let it dry for a couple hours before putting the back plate together

Again I thank you so much @gmagdna for your help

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
@gmagdna

I think you are right about it being the oil from the thermal pad? Maybe because of the cold weather? Take a look at youtube when Gamer Nexus took it apart. All the substance spots are all near the thermal pads. What do you think cause it to ooze out that oil? And It's safe right no damage?

Here is the picture of it on youtube without the back plate in comparison to my GPU:

View: https://imgur.com/vEZHzTF

Last edited:

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
I had a choice between condensation and thermal paste or silicone gap seal oil. Condensation wouldn’t be only around some seams and vent slots. It would also require that you had shutdown the machine for it to cool. Maybe you have/do but it’s not condensation.

The oil from paste or seal oil is well documented and one which mobo manufacturers could easily fix rather than causing regular panic like yours.

what causes it? The oil is in the paste or gap sealant. Heat from the components causes it to ooze. You’ve had hot fries or fried food? Taken home leftovers and the oil congealed in the fridge, until you reheated for lunch the next day? Then you had grease on all kinds of stuff, so there you go.

Harmless? Still Yes.