[SOLVED] Found an old LCD display, still usable with microcontroller?

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Hi,

I recently brought an ancient electrical device home from school for free. It seemed to be some kind of battery charger, and it was busted. Took it apart and salvaged all the transistors ant potentiometers (and I most likely will steal all resistors from the circuitboards like the patient lunatic I am).

The internals seemed to be a main circuitboard with a daughterboard for the buttons on the front. It also contained a microprocessor that drove a small LCD display. Found a german forumpost on an other site which seemed to describe the exact display I salvaged, but the autotranslation got me nowhere, and the post was about 5 years old by now. The display is barely marked with any info:

A138 REV0.0
94V0 KW1

The chip that drove this screen is labeled with the following:

CTC 3195
H9649

This chip seems to be soldered on though, so I’m not going to be able to rescue it.

So my question of the day:
Does someone 1.recognize any of these components and 2.know if there are microprocessors still available to drive this LCD with an Arduino UNO?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Yes, a 94V0 will work with an Arduino but you're going to have to do some MacGyvering for that ;) Hit up the Arduino forums and you should find the Tutorials on how to do it.

The general pinouts for any display should look something like this.
  • LCD RS pin to digital pin 12
  • LCD Enable pin to digital pin 11
  • LCD D4 pin to digital pin 5
  • LCD D5 pin to digital pin 4
  • LCD D6 pin to digital pin 3
  • LCD D7 pin to digital pin 2
  • LCD R/W pin to GND
  • LCD VSS pin to GND
  • LCD VCC pin to 5V
  • LCD LED+ to 5V through a 220 ohm resistor
  • LCD LED- to GND
Wire a 10k pot to +5V and GND, with its wiper (output) to LCD screens VO pin (pin3).

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Yes, a 94V0 will work with an Arduino but you're going to have to do some MacGyvering for that ;) Hit up the Arduino forums and you should find the Tutorials on how to do it.

The general pinouts for any display should look something like this.
  • LCD RS pin to digital pin 12
  • LCD Enable pin to digital pin 11
  • LCD D4 pin to digital pin 5
  • LCD D5 pin to digital pin 4
  • LCD D6 pin to digital pin 3
  • LCD D7 pin to digital pin 2
  • LCD R/W pin to GND
  • LCD VSS pin to GND
  • LCD VCC pin to 5V
  • LCD LED+ to 5V through a 220 ohm resistor
  • LCD LED- to GND
Wire a 10k pot to +5V and GND, with its wiper (output) to LCD screens VO pin (pin3).
Thanks, but are all the pins above here labeled in order? LCD RS being the first pin and LCD LED- the last one?

Edit: checked the screen, it has 14 pins.