Four 80 PLUS Gold Power Supplies Under 450 W, Reviewed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adroid

Distinguished

Sounds cool honestly. I wish I had the money and motivation to try a project like that myself, but I would probably just get discouraged with spending that much money to have a lesser performer than my current build.

tabascosauz

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Anyone who is in the slightest knowledgeable about the internal build quality of PSUs will understand that Corsair's RM series are to be avoided unless one desperately wants the passive fan profile and full modularity. The 450W is understandable because most systems will hit considerable load most of the times, meaning that the fan is on and actively cooling the caps (which are of terrible quality; CapXon may be acceptable in a budget PSU but not a $100 80+ Gold semi-passive unit, and definitely not in a PSU that's not even actively cooled).

All the models over 450W should really be discontinued as the RM series' pricing places it in direct competition with Seasonic's X series, which is far superior in quality and brings full modularity as well, even though it's not passively cooled. There's a reason why fanless PSUs have large heatsinks and top-of-the-line caps and components, and Corsair doesn't seem to understand that not all PSU buyers will fall for its "high quality capacitor" BS marketing.

Absolutely. Most of the new system build help threads have PSU capacities recommended that are far more than they would ever need.

Generally speaking, I do agree with you. Anyone looking for a multi-GPU setup, and/or a hungry OCing CPU will want and need a little more capacity. Also, it seems that quality 380W - 450W units aren't a whole lot cheaper than good 550W units, so I can understand someone spending $5 - $10 more "just-in-case." I typically draw the line around 650W. You need a really good, specific reason to need more capacity than that.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If *ahem* -SOMEONE- *ahem* wasn't so adamant about getting free power supplies for their friends they might actually open one up and tell you how long these suckers will last you. It would be nice to see how bad (or good) the soldering is, and what components are built into these PSUs. Shame on you *ahem* someone, calling yourself an enthusiast site. There are better places to find reviews on power supplies. I'm disappointed but I've come to expect this mediocrity.

Can anyone link me to an article that describes the equipment Tom's uses to tests PSUs? Also the methodology that they use would be nice. I've been looking around for some piece of equipment to suspect power supplies in my shop and all I can find are very expensive $3,000+ testers, which clearly doesn't make economic sense for a small guy like me. :(

That model doesn't have any PCIe cables. That's the problem I run into most when looking at sub-450W PSUs. I don't want to run anything huge on it, but quality 400W units can easily handle 270X class GPUs and a moderately OC'd i5. Yeah, you can always run the 4-pin cable adapters to the GPU, but I like cleaner cabling than that.

I'd like to see most manufacturers do that. Even if it's just a single 6-pin cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS