Four Keyboards And Four Mice For LAN Party Gamers, Rounded-Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry Browns is the best portable gaming keyboard I know of. All the greatness of a mechanical keyboard in a small package and without the loud crack of the Cherry Blues. I also like their Inferno mouse for MMO play as it has enough buttons in the right places but not too many. For normal gaming the venerable and still amazing Logitech G400.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Am I the only one who can't stand wired anything? I just flat out refuse to use either a wired mouse or wired keyboard. Went wireless 10 years ago and would never even think of making a wired purchase again.[/citation]

I would expect so, because I use a wired mouse and keyboard and it works just fine.

Plus I have kids so I don't want to come home and my mouse has been put in the toilet for whatever reason.

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Am I the only one who can't stand wired anything? I just flat out refuse to use either a wired mouse or wired keyboard. Went wireless 10 years ago and would never even think of making a wired purchase again.[/citation]

Yeah, pretty much you are the only one if you are a gamer. Wireless introduces latencies that you really don't need to introduce. I mean really... are you walking across the room with your keyboard and mouse and still playing?

Use the wireless keyboard and mouse for your HTPC so you can sit on the couch, but your real gaming should be wired.

I use a Belkin Nostromo n52 (original one) and a CM Inferno.

My GF uses a Logitech USB Keyboard and a Corsair M90.

In my opinion, the Nostromo replaces any keyboard hands down when configured properly (I use it for every game, even Sims) and it's small enough to travel with my notebook.

Cheers!

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Yargnit[/nom]Can't believe none of the R.A.T mice were chosen?Razer Black Widow Ultimate and Cyborg R.A.T 7 here. I've gone through multiple hundred dollar keyboard/mice before finally settling on these. between the click click click feel of the mechanical keyboard (seriously if you've never had one, try it, it's amazing) to the fit of the mouse with both the thumb and pinky rests fully extended, they rock.Never skimp on your keyboard & mouse, you interact with them constantly, make sure you get ones you'll really like.[/citation]

Well there are a zillion mice and only so much time. Plus, Tomshardware usually invites companies to send products, and if they don't, they don't get into the review...

I've been using a R.A.T. 7 for a couple of weeks now, and I must say it is the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Very smooth, accurate, and the fact that you can fit it to your hand is all great.

Of course input devices are very personal things. It's too bad we can't try a bunch of them before we buy, heh. Review sites can help some, but they can't tell you what your experience will be. :)

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Whats with the downvotes here? i agree the Quickfire rapid should have been here over the blackwidow just because of the switches, blues aren't the best for gaming, brown or black only two i'd ever recommend, blue just wasn't designed to be bottomed out

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I have never once noticed latency from a decent wireless mouse vs a wired one. My mouse runs as a wired mouse when it's plugged in, and I notice precisely zero difference in latency. And any wired mouse has some level of physical resistance placed on it from the wire, and I'd just rather avoid that.I just hate the wires everywhere. My desk is so much cleaner with zero wires on it. As for the kids thing... I find it easier to just move my mouse out of reach of the kids (who as it happens seem to love pulling any wire they can get their hands on just to see what it will do).[/citation]

I'll be the only one I guess to back you up on this BigMack70. Though I could care less about the wire from my keyboard, I used to find it maddening when the wire from my mouse would cause drag because it drops off the end of my keyboard tray on my desk. Plus then it was a wire around my legs. I bought a logitech G7 mouse years ago and it's still working well, though I've replaced the smooth pads on the bottom of the mouse a few times. Great option because although the battery is old now and I have to swap it every day or two, it takes me approximately 5 seconds (literally) to change to the second battery that comes with it, with the base station right in front of me. that wire drag is so annoying and unecessary, and I've been gaming for longer than many people on this forum, so I would know if I ever experienced increased latency.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Sweet, I chose wisely.
I've got the Razor Black Widow (the $69.99 range one) and the G9X and love both. It's the best mouse I've ever had and the keyboard, while a bit loud, works amazingly well. I think it even improved my typing speed. I'd highly recommend both.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I may as well put in my two cents. I spent less than a hundred on my desktop mouse/keyboard config (which is still quite an amount). I have a Microsoft sidewinder x4 and a mouse ill get into later.
The keyboard was $50. it works. its good. its got a lot of functionality and the back lighting is awesome.
As for the mouse, i have a real hidden gem. It's made by a company called Anker. Its a gaming mouse with a 8000 dpi laser and a bunch of other features. its on amazon, just search anker gaming mouse. its only $40 and is absolutly amazing. i used to have a rat 7 then i broke, and now i have my anker. i would never go back the anker is too epic lol.
feel free to downrate this review, but i hope you realize that downrating just makes you look bad ;)

slomo4sho

Distinguished
My 5 button MS Intellimouse has been going strong for over 10 years now and it only cost $20 when I purchased it and I am using it on a 5760x1080 setup. Maybe its time to upgrade?

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I'd like to eventually see a comparison of mechanical keyboards from DAS keyboard and Cherry, as well as the all too common black widow. We're always hearing about the Razer keboard but the other two common options are nowhere to be found.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]AnUnusedUsername[/nom]I'd like to eventually see a comparison of mechanical keyboards from DAS keyboard and Cherry, as well as the all too common black widow. We're always hearing about the Razer keboard but the other two common options are nowhere to be found.[/citation]

im not googling names and i know a few are wrong, but close enough.

there is a razor, a logitec, a crosiar, than there are keyboard companies that go with mechanical keys that dont brand themselves as gameing, like das keyboard, ducky, felico

and to be fair, lets putt the old 20 or so year ibm keyboards in there too, the buckling spring ones.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
its odd because with keyboards i think its always been pretty clear in the gaming community that mechanical is preferable and only one of their products was mechanical. But with mice, things like optical vs. laser isn't as universally clear, but they chose 4 laser mice to compare, and i guess the 2 logitech mice even had identical sensors.

So where mechanical has always been clearly preferable, they chose to compare 1 mechanical to 3 membrane. But where it isn't clear, with optical vs laser, they chose all laser...

kawatwo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I like my G9 a lot but in a couple games (in particular Unreal Tournament 3) it will change weopoons on me without doing anything! It is my work mouse right now. These braided cables also get frayed which looks ratcher cheesy after a few months and would rather see a change back to plastic coated. It seems some others have had this issue as well in certain gaimes. I bought a G400 and like that a lot, but would like the rubber grip on it. Maybe a new G500 would do the trick. Been a logitech fan forever.

Electromikey

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I'm running with a R.A.T.9 and a Corsair K90 right now for my rig. No complaints yet, although the RAT9 has hit-or-miss reviews online. Fingers crossed that it keeps working. The K90, on the other hand, is fantastic. Absolutely no complaints from me for the Corsair hardware.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
With respect to the Razer Blackwidow:

With it active, we ran into zero issues with ghosting and observed 12-key rollover, even though Razer only claims 10-key performance

I used aqua key test with the Razer Blackwidow, and was able to find many 2-3kro key combinations, significantly under the higher advertized amount. WASD aren't the only keys used in combinations with others. After lots of research I eventually went with a high (advertises nkro over usb, but I get around 30kro which is enough for all intents and purposes) USB key rollover keyboard, the Ducky DK9008G2.

Also the Corsair K60 and K90 have some combinations that get less than advertised as well, from having used the aqua key test. Aqua key tester is a free tool you can download to test for yourself.

mabsark

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
[citation][nom]Traciatim[/nom]Yeah, pretty much you are the only one if you are a gamer. Wireless introduces latencies that you really don't need to introduce. I mean really... are you walking across the room with your keyboard and mouse and still playing? Use the wireless keyboard and mouse for your HTPC so you can sit on the couch, but your real gaming should be wired.[/citation]

No, he isn't. Just because you restrict your gaming to a computer desk and monitor, don't for one second think that everyone else does. Plenty of people have PCs attached to their TVs and game on a wireless keyboard and mouse from their couch.

As well as my PC in the living room, I have a PC in my bedroom which is attached to a TV and a monitor. I often game on the TV while lying in bed.

My Logitech MK300 Wireless Desktop is perfectly adequate and cost £15. Can it handle WASD0 simultaneously? I haven't a clue but given that no game is going to require such a combination, it's completely irrelevant. What I can say, is that I haven't run in to any cases of keys nots being registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.