Four of Best Six Games of the Year are on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
i agree with you that L4D is a great game, but releasing the game with only two versus maps out of the 4 campaign maps totally takes away that award.

G

L4D was one of the best... but the crappy console matchmaking system

and the constant dumbing down of the game for noobs...

and the poor net coding

and the lack of good support via patches which often times break some part of the game severely which is CLEARLY not play tested...

and the fact that the campaigns that are soon to be released 6 months AFTER the game released... SHOULD have been in the ORIGINAL release... is unacceptable... I mean how long can it possibly take to add one or two extra textures to the map... and some ladders.... like seriously...

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I 100% agree with Dead Space winning for best sound. While I was playing that game, I was just constantly in awe at the games sound design.

So many subtle and cool effects, weapons sounded powerful, enemies were menacing, atmosphere sounds were moody and creepy, the whispering was eerie, the tram sounds, holographic inventory management sounds, the store sounds, upgrade bench, radio / video calls... it was all magnificent.

If only all games had sound design that well executed.

It's funny that this game won for best sound after I was musing about it to myself. Not surprising at all though.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I'm wondering what, exactly, the GH/RB creators received a Pioneer Award for. As far as Guitar Hero alone, nothing new there when you consider it's basically just a ripoff (albeit a better-than-the-original one) of Guitar Freaks, which was made by Konami more than six years prior. Hell, Konami even debuted the multiple-instrument home game (Guitar Freaks/Drummania), so it doesn't make sense for Rock Band either.

Usually GDC awards actually hold weight in my mind, but this one seems odd and questionable considering there's really nothing that those two actually pioneered.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]P.S. I think Left 4 dead should have got some award , the game to me was jsut so revolutionary in how it told it's story and the game play of teh co-op and how teh ai director forces /rewaords team work and punishes non team work. i eman seriously this game told a story WITH OUT ACTUALLY having much of a story. left 4 dead to me will be one of teh greatest peices of game art for a long time if you ask me[/citation]

I have to disagree with this one, I feel like Left 4 Dead was very similar (almost too similar) to a Half Life mod called Zombie Master. I can't really give credit to L4D as a game that was "revolutionary" as ZM was already released way before L4D.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I hated Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead was mediocre.

I can't believe they didn't give any awards to the Hannah Montana video game for Wii.

I think most gamers and developers alike are completely ignorant to the complexities involved it trying to live a life as an ordinary teenager, while at the same time living the life as a tween rock super-star.

The Nunchuk controls were beyond innovative and the adrenaline levels you reach when playing the game are borderline health-risk.

Let's pay a little respect here.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]mustwarnothers[/nom]I hated Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead was mediocre.I can't believe they didn't give any awards to the Hannah Montana video game for Wii.I think most gamers and developers alike are completely ignorant to the complexities involved it trying to live a life as an ordinary teenager, while at the same time living the life as a tween rock super-star.The Nunchuk controls were beyond innovative and the adrenaline levels you reach when playing the game are borderline health-risk.Let's pay a little respect here.[/citation]

lol... jesus christ

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'm trying, but I just can't stop laughing at this. lol. I thought today was gonna suck at work and then mustwarnothers' post came along... lol hannah montana... mother of god.

gezgo

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Best game I played all year - God of War-Chains of Olympus. Even though it was PSP it was just alot of fun - great visual, great sound, great game play, great gamesaves...and portable. Worth buying a PSP just for it.

Dead Space on PC was incredible. I found myself looking over my shoulder (literally) when shadows cut across the screen. Creepy. Tons of fun. Great pace, just the right length. Get it, Play it, you won't regret it.

G

the rep system is retarded on tomshardware

most of the time the BEST posts often get de-reped... people seriously need to learn to THINK

seriously... its apparently not common ANYWHERE these days

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
L4D auto disqualified itself with the lobby.
Fallout 3... well I dont' steal and 50$ is too much for a game so I don't know.
I'm only qualified to speak on the 'Game of Last Year' or 'Game of 2 Years Ago' competition.

G

Not to be a downer, but be realistic. None of those is a PC exclusive. The only reason 4 of the games listed are for PC is because almost everything is multiplatform these days. Sony was the real winner, with all but one game being on a Sony platform and the 2 exclusives being Sony ones.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
What is wrong with the left 4 dead lobby? I have been playing since release and I don't get what people are saying. Me and my friends start a room, make it public, then we play.

Serious question though, is it because it does not cater to partys like COD4?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]What is wrong with the left 4 dead lobby? I have been playing since release and I don't get what people are saying. Me and my friends start a room, make it public, then we play.Serious question though, is it because it does not cater to partys like COD4?[/citation]
Click "Join Game in Progress", get thrown in an empty lobby. What?

Click it again, it tries to join a full game, and rather than searching for another one it tells me the game is full and kicks me back to the main menu. Seriously, do I need to know it was full? Don't tell me, search again.

RomDA_73

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
How many times have we heard people declare PC gaming is dead? At least every time those next-gen consoles come out!

Don't get me wrong, console gaming is great, and some of my most memorable gaming moments were experienced on console games—ran on my PC's emulator software :D

And mustwarnothers, I know what you mean! That game was so... real!

Status
Not open for further replies.