[SOLVED] Four out of ten devices in my house experience intermittent connection slowdown

Jan 30, 2019
My desktop and all 3 iPhone in my house experience this problem. The internet connection slowdown to 0-100kbps for about 3-6min and probably 5-10 times in a day.
It usually happen at night time, probably during time of many neighbors are using internet.

All of the iPhone, including one just bought last month face this issue, but no problems with iPad, android phone and smartTV.

I have tried many methods including upgrading router's firmware, reinstalling network card driver. This problem even occur right after i restart my router. I also change my router channel from time to time to a less crowded channel but little help.

Shouldn't be my network card problem since this happen on new iphone as well but i just ordered a new wifi adapter to try this solution anyway.

Solution
I had a very similar problem, where I also had intermittent connection issues as well as poor 5ghz coverage in my townhouse, and with hundreds of APs visible in the android wifi analyzer app also suspected a very high interference problem.

I came across this article, Review: Ubiquiti UniFi made me realize how terrible consumer Wi-Fi gear is and on a whim ordered a Unifi AP-AC-LR model, and have to agree will never go back to the built-in router wifi. I now get full 5ghz strength in my entire townhome (save one room where it drops only one bar) and 1/2 strength 5ghz in the backyard. The 2.4ghz I can get signal for quite some distance from my house, probably around 150' until the interference knocks it out.

Overall...
I had a very similar problem, where I also had intermittent connection issues as well as poor 5ghz coverage in my townhouse, and with hundreds of APs visible in the android wifi analyzer app also suspected a very high interference problem.

I came across this article, Review: Ubiquiti UniFi made me realize how terrible consumer Wi-Fi gear is and on a whim ordered a Unifi AP-AC-LR model, and have to agree will never go back to the built-in router wifi. I now get full 5ghz strength in my entire townhome (save one room where it drops only one bar) and 1/2 strength 5ghz in the backyard. The 2.4ghz I can get signal for quite some distance from my house, probably around 150' until the interference knocks it out.

Overall very impressed, I am using it with FIOS and their quantum router (with wifi disabled now, of course). Very reliable connectivity almost never drops, very good latency (even good for gaming, which both of my sons can attest from their desktop / laptop wifi) and phone / tablet connections all excellent. Have had lots of family with over 40 simultaneous connections, since it's an enterprise AP absolutely no sweat, could not even tell any bandwidth problems even before I upgraded to the gigabit plan (was 75/75 prior to that).

Absolutely worth looking into, it can even do mesh using their AC class APs along with the mesh products. Also have to mention their new product line, Amplifi which also looks very good, although I don't have any experience with them (yet)...

cheers!

Solution
Jan 30, 2019
Is that a wifi range extender/booster?

No, an access point completely replaces the router wifi.

Good comparison here:

What is an Access Point and How is it Different from a Range Extender? @linksys

If you have a large home (2500ft^2+) may be worth looking into mesh, or multiple APs (but mesh is much simpler since you don't need whole house wired with Ethernet). The single AP was good enough for my townhome + backyard...

Mesh Network vs Range Extender: Which Is Best? @livewire

To expand on my link above - Unifi sort-of does mesh on their APs, they call it "wireless uplink", the only downside is you need to have their software running either on a dedicated server on your network or via their "cloud key" (what they call their software appliance) to use multiple APs. The Amplifi solves that problem, and is more geared towards home users.

Jan 30, 2019
(Just found out my previous attempt to reply failed). I will work with my network provider again to see can they change the router before considering getting an AP cause it can be quite pricey.

But now my issue evolve again. I used to have no issue connecting to my smartphone hotspot. Now there are issue on my hotspot connection where i experience slow internet speed. But the it is back to normal if i restart my PC (for both hotspot and normal internet). Now i'm confused with the cause of the problems.

Thanks for your eager help!

Jan 30, 2019
I see! TP-Link-AC1200 seems to be a more economical alternative. Thanks!