Four red LEDs on diagnostic

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

About a month ago I purchased a MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM motherboard and
a AMD64 3200+ processor with the Venice core. I have never built a
system before and I was excited to build one from scratch that would
be good for gaming. I have not gotten my system to work once. I
installed the motherboard as the directions showed, as well as the
processor. When I boot the system up, I get four red LEDs on the
diagnostic plug in. According to the manual, that means that
processor is not properly installed or damaged!!! I have tried
reseating, but that does not matter. I sent my mobo in for warranty
and the new one does the same thing. I have seen posts that say you
need to remove the lock on the lock arm "works great on new gigabyte
939 mobos. Just make sure that you disable the lock on the locking
arm. If it isnt turning eaily stop and check. Dont push too hard and
break it." What does this mean?? I have also seen that it might be a
power supply issue and it might be a BIOS issue. Is there a way to
narrow down the problem? I would greatly appreciate any help.

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-red-LEDs-diagnostic-ftopict58991.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=298827
 

PB

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
200
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

Chrion wrote:
> About a month ago I purchased a MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM motherboard and
> a AMD64 3200+ processor with the Venice core. I have never built a
> system before and I was excited to build one from scratch that would
> be good for gaming. I have not gotten my system to work once. I
> installed the motherboard as the directions showed, as well as the
> processor. When I boot the system up, I get four red LEDs on the
> diagnostic plug in. According to the manual, that means that
> processor is not properly installed or damaged!!! I have tried
> reseating, but that does not matter. I sent my mobo in for warranty
> and the new one does the same thing. I have seen posts that say you
> need to remove the lock on the lock arm "works great on new gigabyte
> 939 mobos. Just make sure that you disable the lock on the locking
> arm. If it isnt turning eaily stop and check. Dont push too hard and
> break it." What does this mean?? I have also seen that it might be a
> power supply issue and it might be a BIOS issue. Is there a way to
> narrow down the problem? I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
Your symptoms point to a BIOS on the mainboard that predates the Venice
core CPU level compatible. You may need to borrow a Winchester or
earlier core and upgrade the BIOS to one that is compatible with the
Venice core.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

"" wrote:
> Chrion wrote:
> > About a month ago I purchased a MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM
> motherboard and
> > a AMD64 3200+ processor with the Venice core. I have never
> built a
> > system before and I was excited to build one from scratch
> that would
> > be good for gaming. I have not gotten my system to work
> once. I
> > installed the motherboard as the directions showed, as well
> as the
> > processor. When I boot the system up, I get four red LEDs on
> the
> > diagnostic plug in. According to the manual, that means that
>
> > processor is not properly installed or damaged!!! I have
> tried
> > reseating, but that does not matter. I sent my mobo in for
> warranty
> > and the new one does the same thing. I have seen posts that
> say you
> > need to remove the lock on the lock arm "works great on new
> gigabyte
> > 939 mobos. Just make sure that you disable the lock on the
> locking
> > arm. If it isnt turning eaily stop and check. Dont push too
> hard and
> > break it." What does this mean?? I have also seen that it
> might be a
> > power supply issue and it might be a BIOS issue. Is there a
> way to
> > narrow down the problem? I would greatly appreciate any
> help.
> >
> Your symptoms point to a BIOS on the mainboard that predates
> the Venice
> core CPU level compatible. You may need to borrow a
> Winchester or
> earlier core and upgrade the BIOS to one that is compatible
> with the
> Venice core.

Thanks for the response, but I already figured it out. It was a bios
problem. Tried to get it flashed, but the guy could not get it right.
I went to a local store and bought an Abit board off the shelf and it
fired right up. I am never going to buy MSI again. I cannot believe
that the board THEY sent me did not have the highest level of BIOS.
P.S. Know anyone who would like to buy a MSI board??? HA

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-red-LEDs-diagnostic-ftopict58991.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301172
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

Instead of blaming MSI for selling a motherboard with a BIOS that doesn't
support a new version of an AMD Athlon64 CPU that AMD didn't bother to tell
MSI that they were coming out with, maybe you should blame AMD; or just
research the board you're interested in buying in advance and find out about
the issue before you run out and buy one, then get all bent out of shape.
MSI doesn't have anybody that can read minds of development staff at AMD.
They can't help it if they manufacture thousands of K8N motherboards, then
AMD changes the CPU specs on them, and you just happened to get 2 of them in
a row. They didn't know your RMA'd board was just a BIOS incompatibility
issue either. Abit screws up every once in a while too, believe it or not.
Robert
"Chrion" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
news:7_301172_689f00ef51a51b37c4c56affb9264bc5@hardwareforumz.com...
> "" wrote:
> > Chrion wrote:
> > > About a month ago I purchased a MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM
> > motherboard and
> > > a AMD64 3200+ processor with the Venice core. I have never
> > built a
> > > system before and I was excited to build one from scratch
> > that would
> > > be good for gaming. I have not gotten my system to work
> > once. I
> > > installed the motherboard as the directions showed, as well
> > as the
> > > processor. When I boot the system up, I get four red LEDs on
> > the
> > > diagnostic plug in. According to the manual, that means that
> >
> > > processor is not properly installed or damaged!!! I have
> > tried
> > > reseating, but that does not matter. I sent my mobo in for
> > warranty
> > > and the new one does the same thing. I have seen posts that
> > say you
> > > need to remove the lock on the lock arm "works great on new
> > gigabyte
> > > 939 mobos. Just make sure that you disable the lock on the
> > locking
> > > arm. If it isnt turning eaily stop and check. Dont push too
> > hard and
> > > break it." What does this mean?? I have also seen that it
> > might be a
> > > power supply issue and it might be a BIOS issue. Is there a
> > way to
> > > narrow down the problem? I would greatly appreciate any
> > help.
> > >
> > Your symptoms point to a BIOS on the mainboard that predates
> > the Venice
> > core CPU level compatible. You may need to borrow a
> > Winchester or
> > earlier core and upgrade the BIOS to one that is compatible
> > with the
> > Venice core.
>
> Thanks for the response, but I already figured it out. It was a bios
> problem. Tried to get it flashed, but the guy could not get it right.
> I went to a local store and bought an Abit board off the shelf and it
> fired right up. I am never going to buy MSI again. I cannot believe
> that the board THEY sent me did not have the highest level of BIOS.
> P.S. Know anyone who would like to buy a MSI board??? HA
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-red-LEDs-diagnostic-ftopict58991.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301172
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS