Foxconn Undercover Report on Working Conditions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]They usually get $12/hr for being cooks or $9/hr for cleaning tables and doing dishes. That's more than I ever made working retail. No, illegal immigrants aren't making $4 an hour in most places. Many get minimum wage or better.[/citation]Yes, I've washed dishes too, for minimum wage. The hardest part of that job isn't the job itself (grueling and hot...but nothing compared to some farm jobs). Instead, the hardest part is listening to the waitresses who get around twice as much money (in tips) for half as much work gripe because someone gave them "only" 15%.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]Well, cheap labor isn't going anywhere. Free market rules dictate that when you have an overabundance of something that you can get from almost anywhere, it isn't worth much. To be fair, that's the way it should be.In this case it would be people, or more specifically labor. Unskilled labor isn't going to appreciate in value unless something major happens on this overpopulated rock we call home.Does that make it any better? No, not really, and I'll echo what I posted earlier about the insane profit margin on cost to produce vs. price of product. You can factor in as much R&D as you want, but I think you are just lying to yourself at this point. Do I like it? Not particularly, but it's not changing.However, and people need to realize this, this is more of a moral debate than anything else. There is no right or wrong answer, because morality is abstract and utterly subjective. If you think otherwise, you are closed minded.[/citation]

How can you say someone who disagrees with you is closed minded immediately after admitting that the whole concept is abstract and subjective? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.