FPS 0 + Black Screen / MX150

iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
I was playing a game and suddenly FPS dropped to 0. Now every time the game starts I get 0 FPS and glitchy screen. Image every 10 second or so that says 0 FPS. I reinstalled graphic card clean in safe mode and updated bios, neither of those helped. If you have an idea that can help me please help. Graphic Card is Nvidia MX150 on Acer E5-576.

Solution

My first guess is that the GPU is dying. I don't know how comfortable you are with disassembling your laptop, at least to the point that you can used compressed air to blow the dust out of your heatsinks, but that would be my recommendation. If that doesn't help, then I am afraid that the GPU is gone. Since they are usually not replaceable on a laptop, you would then be in the market for a new laptop. Sorry.:(
Is it still under warranty? If so, maybe you could get Acer to fix it.

Welcome to Tom's!
Is this behavior only with that specific game, or is it behaving that way for EVERYTHING?

iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
It seems to cause problems on every game. I have mortal kombat and it crashes causing - d3d error: 0x88760874 . I also tried running benchmark and that crashed too. Thanks for the quick reply. :)

You are welcome!
Sounds to me like your MX150 is starting to fail, possibly because of high temps. Do you know what your GPU temps are?

iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
Currently it's sitting around 60C-61C idle. It gets quite hot while gaming, but I haven't had problem yet. Is high temp deadly for graphic card? How can I check if that is really the problem?

High temps are never good. That being said, most graphics cards are made to run at 80C+. You could download and run MSI afterburner to monitor your temps. It works with all GPUs. If it gets 90C or more, then overheating is a definite factor.

iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
I'll try that thanks. But the thing is games aren't running at all now. They crash right at the start. Pretty much anything that I try to run with nvidia card is glitchy and black. Does this mean what I fear it means?

My first guess is that the GPU is dying. I don't know how comfortable you are with disassembling your laptop, at least to the point that you can used compressed air to blow the dust out of your heatsinks, but that would be my recommendation. If that doesn't help, then I am afraid that the GPU is gone. Since they are usually not replaceable on a laptop, you would then be in the market for a new laptop. Sorry.:(
Is it still under warranty? If so, maybe you could get Acer to fix it.

Solution

iamconstantone

Reputable
Aug 11, 2018
I've done that to my previous laptop, I can do that to this one too. I'm not sure how the heat got to it so quickly, notebook is quite new and I don't get how it crashes without even running first. Anyway I'll try cleaning out dust 1st before I rest this notebook to peace. Thanks for the help :)