[SOLVED] FPS auto capping at 124fps

TheBossKiller

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
My game auto caps every game at 124 fps when before It would go easily above 150. having "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" fixes the issue as long as I have it fullscreen (for some games only) but i want to fully fix this issue.
I believe the problem is with VSYNC. I have it off for everything but still when i turn it on my fps doesnt really have an impact which makes me thing it is on somewhere else... (not in game or in nvdia control panel). please help

Last edited:
Solution
game auto caps every game at 124hrtz fps
refresh rate(Hz) and frames per second(fps) are not the same thing.

but,
what display are you using and what is it's native refresh rate?
what refresh rate do you have set in Windows & your GPU control software?

and make sure you do not have a frame rate limit set in Nvidia Control Panel, GeForce Experience, or any other "gaming" software you may have installed.
game auto caps every game at 124hrtz fps

but,

and make sure you do not have a frame rate limit set in Nvidia Control Panel, GeForce Experience, or any other "gaming" software you may have installed.

Solution

TheBossKiller

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017

but,

I am using the MSI Optix G27C4 set at 165hrtz, my refresh rate on gpu is also set to match my monitors (no fps limit) and on windows its set to 165
when I go to any website to check my hrtz or fps its all fine and reaches 165 but when i go in game it auto caps to 124

TheBossKiller

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
Full system specs and monitor?

What utilities have you installed if any?

Check startup items in task manager.
B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 2600
Gtx 1060 6gb
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200
MSI Optix G27C4
250gb ssd

nothing is different on startup

Last edited:

TheBossKiller

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
Can you take a screenshot of your frame rate in game. Use fraps, Msi Afterburner etc
unknown.png

MSI Optix G27C4 set at 165hrtz...
when I go to any website to check my hrtz or fps its all fine and reaches 165 but when i go in game it auto caps to 124
either you are incorrect about these settings or you have something limiting the frame rate to 124 set through NCP, GeForce Experience, or some other 'game optimization'-type software.

disable any 'start with Windows' software you have running.

the fact that you are limited to 124fps does not also imply that your display is limited to 124Hz.
so you should not mix/match these terms until you are sure which it is exactly that is the determining factor.

TheBossKiller

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
either you are incorrect about these settings or you have something limiting the frame rate to 124 set through NCP, GeForce Experience, or some other 'game optimization'-type software.

disable any 'start with Windows' software you have running.

the fact that you are limited to 124fps does not also imply that your display is limited to 124Hz.
so you should not mix/match these terms until you are sure which it is exactly that is the determining factor.
Yeah i wrote the question in frustration and made a typo. My monitor is fine and running at 165hz as intended it is just my fps that isnt going past 124. where are other ways for me to check about my settings? I have vsync off in nvida and also off in game.