Question FPS drop ?

May 25, 2024
Whenever i play minecraft (with low end shaders) its smooth for the first 10mins and then starts to lag i checked my temps and it rises to 85c-90c. Thats when my core clock speed reduces from 1500 to around 800 and the speed even changes irregularly, it jumps from 800 to 1200 and then to another number constantly. I am using a cooling pad for my laptop but i dont see any noticeable changes in temps. Usually when the lag starts i disconnect the laptop power cable and connect it again that helps my game run smooth again for a few mins and then the lag starts again.

Laptop model: Asus Vivobook 15

Specs:
Nvidia MX350
Intel i5-113557
8GB RAM

Hey there,

Yes, it sems either or both CPU/GPU are throttling. This is a known limitation of laptops. They have so much heat to dissipate and in a tiny envelope. Cooling pads really only help with idle temps.

The other issue present is that the GPU is sharing ram with your CPU. With only 8gbs in total, it's likely your vram is maxed out, which could also cause FPS drop and stuttering.

You could replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Like a Noctua NT H1 paste. It will be better than the generic stuff, and might reduce temps by about 5c or so.

Reactions: dontknow12345

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is your laptop's SKU? I noticed some version of Vivobook's have venting holes/slits on the underside of the laptop. If yours lacks any venting holes to allow for cool ambient air to get into the laptop, your laptop cooler isn't going to be doing much good.

You could try and use ThrottleStop to undervolt the processor and iGPU but your mileage can and will vary. I will second the suggestion to consider a thermal paste change to something higher quality.

Reactions: dontknow12345
May 25, 2024
Hey there,

Yes, it sems either or both CPU/GPU are throttling. This is a known limitation of laptops. They have so much heat to dissipate and in a tiny envelope. Cooling pads really only help with idle temps.

The other issue present is that the GPU is sharing ram with your CPU. With only 8gbs in total, it's likely your vram is maxed out, which could also cause FPS drop and stuttering.

You could replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Like a Noctua NT H1 paste. It will be better than the generic stuff, and might reduce temps by about 5c or so.
thanks for the help i'll try replacing my thermal paste and check out if the issue presist

May 25, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is your laptop's SKU? I noticed some version of Vivobook's have venting holes/slits on the underside of the laptop. If yours lacks any venting holes to allow for cool ambient air to get into the laptop, your laptop cooler isn't going to be doing much good.

You could try and use ThrottleStop to undervolt the processor and iGPU but your mileage can and will vary. I will second the suggestion to consider a thermal paste change to something higher quality.
i checked my laptop's SKU and its blank