Question FPS drops all of a sudden

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Hello there. Im getting really huge FPS drops in Apex Legends. Everything started 3 days ago. I used to get stable 170FPS only time it used to drop to 120FPS is upon landing. Now every fight it drops to 100 or below , huge input lag aswell, game is really sluggish, at first i thought after apex new patch but it cannot be because everything was fine at first 2 days. Im playing on 1920x1080p @ 144hz Everything on LOW expect Model detail ( Medium) as i allways did. I have tried clean install windows, drivers, updated bios E.T.C . Still same. Im starting to think its hardware related . Oh and my temps are completly fine, GPU around 60-65 , CPU ~60 . And i did UserBenchmark test just to see everything is runing as expeceted , and everything is runing as it should . My specs are :

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.9Ghz OC
GTX 1660Super 6GB
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB @ 3200mhz
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming
Corsair CX550M Psu
Kingston 240GB SSD
1TB HDD

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the Corsair PSU? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Do you have access to another known working PSU to swap into your system?

Another option is to use a multi-meter (if you have one and know to use it) to test the PSU. Any voltages out of tolerance are an indication that the PSU is likely faltering and will fail. (If necessary find a family member or friend who can help test the PSU. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
How old is the Corsair PSU? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Do you have access to another known working PSU to swap into your system?

Another option is to use a multi-meter (if you have one and know to use it) to test the PSU. Any voltages out of tolerance are an indication that the PSU is likely faltering and will fail. (If necessary find a family member or friend who can help test the PSU. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
I build PC a year a go or so, so PSU is 1year or so. I do not have any others PSU to swap There is Tech shop not that far away they would test it but the thing is i wont be able to try game with their PSU . I dont have multi-meter and have no idea how to use it :D I dont really game alot if u mean that by heavy gaming. I play around 2 hours a day . maybe 4-5 Weekends.

Ralston18

Titan
Try the following:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check for any pinched or kinked cables, any bare conductor showing, signs of damage or over-heating.

Use a bright flashlight to help look about.

Over time connections loosen up due to heat related expansion/contraction and vibrations.

Hopefully something may just be loose.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Try the following:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check for any pinched or kinked cables, any bare conductor showing, signs of damage or over-heating.

Use a bright flashlight to help look about.

Over time connections loosen up due to heat related expansion/contraction and vibrations.

Hopefully something may just be loose.
have done that before clean install windows , i allways clean my pc dust every 2-3months and making sure all cables are well seated. I dont know but i thought that myself that PSU is giving not enough power to my hardware, because when i changed my mobo from gigabyte to asus tuf b450 which has led lights so i think it uses more power , and i had less fps , i had more fps with my Gigabyte mobo , sadly it died. Can it be like my PSU not giving enough power to my cpu gpu etc ?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: The PSU may not be able to keep up with the system's power demands - even a brief faltering will impact performance.

Check the following link:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the immediate intent of purchasing a new PSU.

Just use 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine if your PSU is properly sized for your build. Do a manual calculation of your own as well. If any component provides a wattage range then use the high end value. After totaling up the wattages add 25% more.

Even if the total wattage is less than the PSU remember that if the PSU is failing (for whatever reason) then there will be problems.

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Yes: The PSU may not be able to keep up with the system's power demands - even a brief faltering will impact performance.

Check the following link:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the immediate intent of purchasing a new PSU.

Just use 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine if your PSU is properly sized for your build. Do a manual calculation of your own as well. If any component provides a wattage range then use the high end value. After totaling up the wattages add 25% more.

Even if the total wattage is less than the PSU remember that if the PSU is failing (for whatever reason) then there will be problems.
it is sized i did 2 tests and both says i need around 300 - 350W max . Dont know what to do, dont really want to waste money in case its not the PSU that causes issues. And when i run MSi AfterBurner ingame, my gpu is runing 90-100% so i think its gets enough power . I dont know...

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Remember that the calculator is a way to determine system power requirements. And there are many discussions, etc. about such determinations.

However, even if the calculations indicate that the PSU wattage is sufficient there is still the possibility that the PSU is failing or otherwise unable to provide the necessary wattage. Especially at peak loads or varying loads.

My suggestion is to do some additional reading: Google "CPU GPU PSU" and read a few of the links that will appear. Limit the search to the last couple of years and then revise the search as you feel necessary to learn more about the subject in general.

As you read, check things on your system. You may be able to discover if the PSU is the culprit or not.

FYI:

https://www.gpumag.com/msi-afterburner/

aurimasandrisiunas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2018
Remember that the calculator is a way to determine system power requirements. And there are many discussions, etc. about such determinations.

However, even if the calculations indicate that the PSU wattage is sufficient there is still the possibility that the PSU is failing or otherwise unable to provide the necessary wattage. Especially at peak loads or varying loads.

My suggestion is to do some additional reading: Google "CPU GPU PSU" and read a few of the links that will appear. Limit the search to the last couple of years and then revise the search as you feel necessary to learn more about the subject in general.

As you read, check things on your system. You may be able to discover if the PSU is the culprit or not.

FYI:

https://www.gpumag.com/msi-afterburner/
forgot to mention, when i use DP cable from time to time i get weird issue aswell while gaming, my monitor keeps going black it doesnt turn off but it loses image , then on again and off again, but when i use HDMI cable it never happens, only remembered it now cause it happend again . So in my opinion its either the GPU or either the PSU. At first i thought its the bad DP cable , but i bought another one same issues.

Reactions: Bentheman