Fps drops every 5-10 seconds on my gaming laptop

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
so recently i bought a brand new gaming laptop and ive been having this problem every single day since i bought it

and that problem is that every 5-10 secs my laptop goes from 60-120 fps to 4-12 fps out of nowhere and it stays in this unplayable state for around 4 seconds and im really sad because ive always wanted a powerful gaming machine and now that im having this problem im realy realy sad :(

Specs: gtx 1050 ti 4gb-i7 7700hq factory overclocked to 3.8 ghz-8 gb DDR 4 ram-1 tb Hdd-win 10 home-latest nvidia+intel drivers.

if anyone knows a fix to this problem please help me fix it

p.s my temps are only hitting 72 dergees at worst

Solution
Take a look at Event Viewer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Perhaps some clue will turn up there.

With desktops you can open the case and check all the connections, seatings, etc.. Not so much with a laptop per se so diagnostics are an important tool.

Turn down the overclocking just as a matter elimination.

Disable all unneeded/unnecessary applications in start up.

What ever is happening seems to be disabling or otherwise stopping use of the GPU.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor to identify what application, service, process, etc. may be grabbing and holding system resources.

Could simply be a faulty driver or even some misconfiguration. Or perhaps some application trying to phone home, update, or backup.....

Look for some task or other activity that starts or stops just before or when the fps drops.

frost.hanta

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
ive tried all these things you suggested with no luck or traces of a task or activity
grabbing and holding up resources and ive Updated My Nvidia and intel Drivers :(

UPDATE: ive looked at my gpu usage and i see that every time the lag starts my gpu usage goes down to around 3-12%

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at Event Viewer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Perhaps some clue will turn up there.

With desktops you can open the case and check all the connections, seatings, etc.. Not so much with a laptop per se so diagnostics are an important tool.

Turn down the overclocking just as a matter elimination.

Disable all unneeded/unnecessary applications in start up.

What ever is happening seems to be disabling or otherwise stopping use of the GPU.

Solution