[SOLVED] FPS drops in every game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2022
I just received my new GPU, I installed it and it does not perform well at all. My FPS is never stable, I suffer from fps drop in every games I have. I bought this GPU to be able to play at high/ultra graphics and boost my FPS. But I only have a lot of FPS drop and I have Low Utilisation for my cpu and GPU.
My build:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52062888
Monitor: ASUS TUF 24" FHD 144Hz 1ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (VG249Q)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
PSU: Corsair RM 750x (https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020179-NA)

My goal: Play at High/Ultra at 144 FPS 1080p on comp game, Fortnite, COD, Apex. For non-comp games GTA, Elden Ring, CyberPunk 2077 80 - 120 FPS. I have no clue if my expectations are too high but man switching from a GTX 1060 6GB to a RTX 3070 Ti should make a HUGE difference which doesn't happen in my opinion.

What I tried to fix the issue (without success):
  • Used DDU to uninstall/reinstall the graphics drivers
  • Update BIOS since It was not up to date.
  • Made sure monitor is connected to the graphics card, not the mobo.
  • Disable V-sync
  • Reinstalling the game
  • Changed Windows power settings to high performance
  • Reset PC
What can fix the issues?
  1. Should I buy a new CPU? Or Intel Core i7-10700K is enough. Is it a bottleneck?
  2. Is my build doesn't fit with a 1080p 144 fps? Need new monitor?
  3. Should I switch GPU for a different one?
  4. Do I expect too much for my build?
  5. Is there anything else I can do to improved my build?

Solution
Another thing, the 3070ti is lets say a lot more powerful produces a lot more heat than you are used to. the 10700k isnt exactly known to be cool either.

Try gaming with the side off of your case. if you see less frame varying frame rates your case is too hot maybe add some fans.

Another thing to do if that changes nothing is to ensure you are using two sperate cables for pcie power, in some cases this can offer more stable power to the card rather than the daisy chain 2 in one plugs.

maybe run ddu again in safe mode then reinstall the latest drivers.... remove all drivers audio and video before reboot.

if that doesnt help try reinstalling windows entirely, then yeah its likely the psu if the issues continue.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Straightaway, you have the absolute minimum recommended PSU for this card...750W. Your CPU alone can draw up to 205 watts at its peak (according to Anandtech.com). My guess would be that, between these two, the PSU may be struggling quite a bit to keep up with any and all higher power draw/spikes that the CPU/GPU might be demanding of said PSU. You may want to get a stronger PSU in order to bring more stabilization and provide more power to your system.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
Straightaway, you have the absolute minimum recommended PSU for this card...750W. Your CPU alone can draw up to 205 watts at its peak (according to Anandtech.com). My guess would be that, between these two, the PSU may be struggling quite a bit to keep up with any and all higher power draw/spikes that the CPU/GPU might be demanding of said PSU. You may want to get a stronger PSU in order to bring more stabilization and provide more power to your system.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the answer, what PSU should be enough. I really thought that 750W was enough. Should I get exactly the same model for 1000W? Or do you have any other proposition?

Another thing, the 3070ti is lets say a lot more powerful produces a lot more heat than you are used to. the 10700k isnt exactly known to be cool either.

Try gaming with the side off of your case. if you see less frame varying frame rates your case is too hot maybe add some fans.

Another thing to do if that changes nothing is to ensure you are using two sperate cables for pcie power, in some cases this can offer more stable power to the card rather than the daisy chain 2 in one plugs.

maybe run ddu again in safe mode then reinstall the latest drivers.... remove all drivers audio and video before reboot.

if that doesnt help try reinstalling windows entirely, then yeah its likely the psu if the issues continue.

Solution

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Thank you for the answer, what PSU should be enough. I really thought that 750W was enough. Should I get exactly the same model for 1000W? Or do you have any other proposition?

My suggestion would be 850W or more. 1000W would be overkill, but there's nothing wrong with that either. At least you'd have a ton of headroom, powerwise!

Also, the above suggestion of checking airflow is pretty good too. A couple of extra fans (one in, one out, though you should have equal numbers of fans pulling in and pushing out) certainly won't hurt.

Have a good one!

Reactions: SaveMeFromPCProb
Apr 21, 2022

Thank you for your reply. I will try this, I do have a lot of fans tho. I will post a picture of my set up to show you my hardware and the direction of my fans.

Yes I use 2 different cable connected to the PSU not the 1 cable with with 2 plug.

I already run the DDU and reinstalled my windows.

I will buy the PSU and install it. And take a photo of my set up. When this is done I will be back. I just need some time to buy it and install it.

Reactions: spentshells
Apr 21, 2022
My suggestion would be 850W or more. 1000W would be overkill, but there's nothing wrong with that either. At least you'd have a ton of headroom, powerwise!

Also, the above suggestion of checking airflow is pretty good too. A couple of extra fans (one in, one out, though you should have equal numbers of fans pulling in and pushing out) certainly won't hurt.

Have a good one!
Thank you for the reply, yeah I will just go with 1000W anyway in the future I might need it.

Yeah I will post a picture of my set up and the fans I have so you can view how to airflow is.

Apr 21, 2022

Have a good one!

Hello Tigerhawk30,

I bought a new PSU the same model just 1000W (https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020094-NA).
Honestly, I don't see a huge difference a would say maybe 5-10%? If this is not in my head. And for my fans, this is all the fans I have and the airflow. Is it wrong? Do you have anything else that I can try to fix my issues?
https://postimg.cc/n91qp9qC

Apr 21, 2022

Hello spentshells,

My temps are always around, CPU 60-75 , GPU 50-60. I think these temps are safe and should not affect the performance no?

I did try gaming with the side off. I gain like -10 temps.

Here's a picture of my set up and how I plugged my pcie power and my fans. https://postimg.cc/Jtjfj710

I did buy new PSU. The difference is really tiny.

Apr 21, 2022
Checked temps and voltages? Do you get the same performance as systems with your specs. Videos like this can help
View: https://youtu.be/_pUE8raHtdA
Is there anything running in the background? Like mining software etc.

Take CyberPunk 2077 80 - 120 FPS. @ 1080p Ultra + DLSS this video gets the same performance within this range.
View: https://youtu.be/wu86WTf_LgA?t=265
Hello zx128k,

Thank you for your reply, I will look into these videos and try to copy them with my system and post all my stats, fps, temps, and usage. Do you have any software I can use to do this or MSI afterburner and Nvidia overlay is enough?

No I do not mine and don't run anything in the background.

Hello spentshells,

My temps are always around, CPU 60-75 , GPU 50-60. I think these temps are safe and should not affect the performance no?

I did try gaming with the side off. I gain like -10 temps.

Here's a picture of my set up and how I plugged my pcie power and my fans. https://postimg.cc/Jtjfj710

I did buy new PSU. The difference is really tiny.
Just for yuks.
Reboot and let the pc sit for a few mins.
Run userbenchmark with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results page.

Status
Not open for further replies.