Question FPS drops in game with OK hardware ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Hello,

Lately I have been having a problem with my computers performance and I have no idea what would be the cause. The issue starts to happen while I'm playing a computer game (LoL) at the later stages of the game, when the game becomes more complex due to action happening on the screen - but still with that setup I feel like the game should run on best settings and still have no performance drops. I play on low settings and optimized for performance and I get a lot of FPS drops which makes the game unplayable...

My setup is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super, 6GB
motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Disk: SAMSUNG SSD disk 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2
monitor: Asus VG248

This is the upgraded version of my PC, I upgraded every single component other than the power supply (Could that be the problem anyways? Current power supply is 550W)

I used to run my OS on 144hz but because of performance drop I am running it at 120hz at the moment because it has better performance on it. Windows, GPU and in game settings are set to 120hz. Connection between GPU and monitor is displayport which was replaced so that I can remove the tought of cable being bad.

I have changed default CPU cooler with a better version of it due to high CPU temps on idle and ingame. Also I undervolted it but the issue still persists.

My GPU has latest drivers and Windows OS was freshly installed on new disc. Also nvidia control panel settings are set for maximum performance (disabled vSync...)

Thank you for your help and time =)

logainofhades

Titan
More PSU, than you need, but it is quality Seasonic built unit. Gives you some upgrade headroom, at the very least. I know B450 can be a bit iffy, with 3600 ram, so I chose a solid 3200mhz kit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($87.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $177.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-24 09:41 EDT-0400

D

Deleted member 14196

Or buy the same 16GB module so you have 32GB dual channel.

Do you have a link where to buy a psu?
This is bad advice and I would stay away from it mixing and matching ram does not always work you’re better off to buy a kit

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
This is bad advice and I would stay away from it mixing and matching ram does not always work you’re better off to buy a kit
Okay so an update:
I have upgraded my PC with another same model 16gig RAM stick that I inserted in 4th slot (so RAM is now in second and fourth slot). The situation is pretty much similar, maybe there is a little bit of noticable performance boost from before but its still not as smooth as it is supposed to be.