[SOLVED] FPS drops on HP Omen ?

PedroL2000

Reputable
Feb 1, 2021
Hello, since the beginning of this year I've experience a lot of FPS drops in my laptop, which consequently results in screen freezing for between 1 and 3 seconds (it varies). I don't know exactly what can cause this, I ain't no expert, but what I can say is that sometimes I don't experience this at all and sometimes it happens frequently, which is pretty much annoying. I don't know why, but this didn't happen for the first day after resetting my laptop, and it never happens when I'm recording to capture the FPS Drop (which may just be a coincidence). Anyway, I just wanna fix this now. My laptop specs:
LOcJNb4.png

Solution
Any unusual disk activity? Do the frame drops happen with increased disk usage?

Have you tested your ram? Try at least 4 passes of memtest86+ and check for errors.

Run a bench test and use HWMon/Info to monitor the CPU clockspeed and see if it's throttling still. Is it still dropping back when it gets hot?
Hey there,

It's likely your CPU is throttling, which will reduce it's clockspeed, and potentially reduce GPU performance.

Run MSI Afterburner OSD, and set it to show your CPU usage/temps/clockspeed, and also your GPU usage/temps/clockspeed/memspeed. You can also show system mem usage, and frametime and FPS.

Then when you're playing the game look out for any 100% usage scenarios or high CPU/GPU temps.

You can also try some quick fixes. Ensure you are using the 'High Performance' power plan. If you have Omen Gaming Hub, try setting the performance profile there between default and see if that helps. In gaming Hub setting the performance profile will lift any CPU restrictions, and allow the CPU to perform at max performance. This gives more performance, but at the expense of heat and fan noise.

PedroL2000

Reputable
Feb 1, 2021
Hey there,

It's likely your CPU is throttling, which will reduce it's clockspeed, and potentially reduce GPU performance.

Run MSI Afterburner OSD, and set it to show your CPU usage/temps/clockspeed, and also your GPU usage/temps/clockspeed/memspeed. You can also show system mem usage, and frametime and FPS.

Then when you're playing the game look out for any 100% usage scenarios or high CPU/GPU temps.

You can also try some quick fixes. Ensure you are using the 'High Performance' power plan. If you have Omen Gaming Hub, try setting the performance profile there between default and see if that helps. In gaming Hub setting the performance profile will lift any CPU restrictions, and allow the CPU to perform at max performance. This gives more performance, but at the expense of heat and fan noise.
I got this (a few moments after the game froze)
unknown.png

PedroL2000

Reputable
Feb 1, 2021
Can't see anything. You sure you posted it.
Yeah, Idk why it didn't show... anyway, it was my CPU's temp that was high. What I did then was to open my laptop and clean the filters, now while gaming my fans are quiet because they don't have to work that much, so overheating seems to be solved... however, stutters still happens a bit, and I checked the Afterburner Monitor and everything seemed to be fine... Idk why this happens

Reactions: Abishekh Kc
Yeah, Idk why it didn't show... anyway, it was my CPU's temp that was high. What I did then was to open my laptop and clean the filters, now while gaming my fans are quiet because they don't have to work that much, so overheating seems to be solved... however, stutters still happens a bit, and I checked the Afterburner Monitor and everything seemed to be fine... Idk why this happens

Try setting the windows power profile on to 'High Performance' and see if that helps.

Any unusual disk activity? Do the frame drops happen with increased disk usage?

Have you tested your ram? Try at least 4 passes of memtest86+ and check for errors.

Run a bench test and use HWMon/Info to monitor the CPU clockspeed and see if it's throttling still. Is it still dropping back when it gets hot?

Solution