Question FPS Drops / Stutters (COD Warzone)

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hey,

I am playing Warzone the last days and I'm averaging about 80-90 fps (was averaging 70 or so but enabled XMP) and I am getting some annoying FPS stutters every now and then. Some times longer, some times shorter but it's really annoying. I would say with a frequency of 5 minutes per stutter.

CPU Temperature doesn't exceed 60oC so I believe the problem is not there. The game is installed in a new Samsung SSD (500 GB) which should be ok. Though I noticed something while playing, the SSD that has the Windows installed inside (ADATA SU 630) peaked at 65oC which shouldn't be normal. Could that be causing stutters? The game is installed in a different SSD though.

I also ran a Prime95 stress test and I had no errors for like 20 minutes so I guess CPU and RAM are okay.

Could it be the GPU? I ran some Unigine Heaven benchmarks and I had pretty high average FPS even on extreme in 1080p. Min FPS was low (like 9 fps) but I read that it happens during the scene changes and it's normal, it was all pretty smooth and I didn't notice any stutters there.

Any ideas????

RIG:

Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte RTX 2060
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz
AORUS x470 ULTRA GAMING

Hey,

I am playing Warzone the last days and I'm averaging about 80-90 fps (was averaging 70 or so but enabled XMP) and I am getting some annoying FPS stutters every now and then. Some times longer, some times shorter but it's really annoying. I would say with a frequency of 5 minutes per stutter.

CPU Temperature doesn't exceed 60oC so I believe the problem is not there. The game is installed in a new Samsung SSD (500 GB) which should be ok. Though I noticed something while playing, the SSD that has the Windows installed inside (ADATA SU 630) peaked at 65oC which shouldn't be normal. Could that be causing stutters? The game is installed in a different SSD though.

I also ran a Prime95 stress test and I had no errors for like 20 minutes so I guess CPU and RAM are okay.

Could it be the GPU? I ran some Unigine Heaven benchmarks and I had pretty high average FPS even on extreme in 1080p. Min FPS was low (like 9 fps) but I read that it happens during the scene changes and it's normal, it was all pretty smooth and I didn't notice any stutters there.

Any ideas????

RIG:

Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte RTX 2060
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz
AORUS x470 ULTRA GAMING
Try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Thanks for the very detailed guide-answer, I did everything step by step and now I'm only doing some final Windows Updates.

Just some things I would to note and ask, my GPU has an 8-pin connector and the cable that I am using on it is a 6pin+2pin cable from the PSU (I saw online that the 2pin is the ground so it should be okay.
Another thing is that in the Graphics Settings I don't have such an option to enable Hardware-accelerated GPU scaling. It doesn't even appear there.

And lastly while I was installing some drivers, I believe it was the display drivers, the PC was stuttering and when I opened HW Monitor my SSD had hit 72oC. So could that be the problem in the end of the day?

Anyway I am gonna test some games soon and come back with more feedback.

Just some things I would to note and ask, my GPU has an 8-pin connector and the cable that I am using on it is a 6pin+2pin cable from the PSU (I saw online that the 2pin is the ground so it should be okay.
just make sure it uses the main pcie plug, not the split.

Another thing is that in the Graphics Settings I don't have such an option to enable Hardware-accelerated GPU scaling. It doesn't even appear there.
It should be there on the latest windows update and latest nvidia driver.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
just make sure it uses the main pcie plug, not the split.

It should be there on the latest windows update and latest nvidia driver.
Yes actually now that I am up to date it showed up. Though when I am doing some basic drills like opening discords, watching videos and stuff I get some quick stutters... Probably more common than when playing even. I am gonna test some games and come back with feedback.

Thanks!

Yes actually now that I am up to date it showed up. Though when I am doing some basic drills like opening discords, watching videos and stuff I get some quick stutters... Probably more common than when playing even. I am gonna test some games and come back with feedback.

Thanks!
Oh yeah also check the resolution settings on settings, and change it to rounded number (ex your monitor is 60hz, but on settings it's 59.999hz, and there is an option to 60hz, use that one). Sometimes windows bugs like that idk how, happens recently on some people on this forum.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Oh yeah also check the resolution settings on settings, and change it to rounded number (ex your monitor is 60hz, but on settings it's 59.999hz, and there is an option to 60hz, use that one). Sometimes windows bugs like that idk how, happens recently on some people on this forum.
I'm running dual monitor and if you mean nVidia resolution settings I just checked and they are set on 144Hz and 60Hz so it's all good.
I just played a game and the FPS is still a bit lower than it should be but the main issue is still the stutters.

Could it be the GPU? Cause I'm kinda stressed out rn if it's getting faulty tho in games like Fortnite I still hit 200FPS but still get stutters.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
defrag c: /l /o /u /v
Pretty good to me.

well then 144.001 is the only option, then it's not the issue. you could try to defrag the ssd and/or hdd
Open CMD as admin, and do /defrag (drive letter) /d /o /u /v for hdd, For SSD /defrag (drive letter) /d /u /v , and after it finish do /defrag (drive letter) /l /o /u /v
Just finished and I will see how that goes with the defrag, I was also thinking would it help to run all PassMark tests to maybe spot the problem? Or would that be pointless?

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
The game is on a new SSD so I don't think that SSD is the problem, I was thinking if the OS SSD was a problem. I don't have another GPU but since I get the stutters on desktop too I was thinking of running a memtest now. Hope I get some results cause I don't have any clue wth is going on.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My old PC ran smoothly yes, with 2 monitors on different refresh rates. This one though stutters even on desktop use, could it still be the GPU? :/
Not the old PC, but the current one.

This looks like a driver/software. It's been a problem with mixing refresh rates for a long time. I don't know what driver causes it though.
The most concrete ways around it were to get screens with the same refresh rate, or run the main monitor off the gpu and the secondary off the cpu's iGPU.

When you posted that you have 2 monitors, I figured it wasn't stuttering - even though your cpu doesn't have an iGPU - until recently.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Not the old PC, but the current one.

This looks like a driver/software. It's been a problem with mixing refresh rates for a long time. I don't know what driver causes it though.
The most concrete ways around it were to get screens with the same refresh rate, or run the main monitor off the gpu and the secondary off the cpu's iGPU.

When you posted that you have 2 monitors, I figured it wasn't stuttering - even though your cpu doesn't have an iGPU - until recently.
Ah, sadly it didn't work. I unplugged my 2nd monitor and tried to play a game of Fortnite for benchmarks. My FPS was around 140 to 180 but I would suddenly get stutters to 17 or 30 FPS momentarily...

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Are you running G Sync ? What monitor do you have that's 144hz ? Are you trying to run Raytracing in Warzone ?
No, my settings are on low-medium. Same goes for Fortnite, my monitor is an ASUS VG248QE. I don't have G Sync.

Also I am noticing stutters on desktop use aswell, every now and then.