[SOLVED] FPS drops with CPU usage and temp drops?

Feb 18, 2020
If I'm gaming or simply have a couple of videos playing, every minute or so my fps will drop from say 150 down to 20 for about 10 seconds, and then it'll go back to normal.

When this happens, the temperature and usage goes down for both the CPU and GPU.

• I have all the latest drivers and bios
  • re-applied thermal paste
  • added fans to the case
  • disabled all other unnecessary processes
  • disabled quiet n cool in bios

any help will be appreciated!

Specs:

AMD FX 8350+
MSI GTX970 4GB
SAMSUNG 500GB SSD
HYPER X FURY 8GB RAM
ASUS HYBRID CFX MOTHERBOARD

Feb 18, 2020
Are these CPU spikes or do you experience the FPS drops when your usage is high? Is this a new occurrence or have you always dealt with it?

The CPU usage goes down when the FPS drops occur which is odd, they'll be at around 50% and then drop to 20% for 5-10 seconds and then comes back up.

This has been happening for a few weeks

D

Deleted member 1560910

I would go with what sizzling said about the vrm being to hot i would re think air flow in your case and make it a priority

Solution

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I'm running an older model of the same mobo you have with an 8350 and r9 fury. I'm almost 100% positive you're dealing with vrm issues as others mentioned.
Undervolt and underclock your cpu and possibly gpu if it's over 300w. My issues went away at around 3.8ghz cpu and 20% less gpu power.
Even if your cpu temps read good, your vrm is getting hot and throttling everything unlike what would happen with a cpu bottleneck or heat issue with another individual component would cause.

TRENDING THREADS