Question Fps drops with new pc

Dec 15, 2019
Hey guys

I bought a new pc last week and build it by my self. I have had terrible fps drops with every game that i have tried. I have latest Nvidia driver and it shoulnt be my parts. I have a friend with same parts expect i have better GPU and he has higher fps and no stutters. My temperatures are normal (under 60C) and i havent overclocked my components. Any adviced are welcome.

GPU: Asus Rog Strix Rtx 2060 oc 6g

Cpu: R7 2700x

MB: Asus B450-plus gaming

PSU: Corsair 650x

RAM: Kingston 16gb ddr4 3200mhz

SSD: Kingston 960gb 500 mt/s

Reactions: Vuxxan24
Hey guys

I bought a new pc last week and build it by my self. I have had terrible fps drops with every game that i have tried. I have latest Nvidia driver and it shoulnt be my parts. I have a friend with same parts expect i have better GPU and he has higher fps and no stutters. My temperatures are normal (under 60C) and i havent overclocked my components. Any adviced are welcome.

What games are you playing? Can you describe the fps drops and stutter in a bit more detail?

Dec 15, 2019
What games are you playing? Can you describe the fps drops and stutter in a bit more detail?
Im playing fortnite and I locked my fps to 180fps, my fps will drop to 140fps often but time to time will drop under 100. I have tested also rust and same thing there. I play most of the time fortnite, i have tried low settings but the fps will still drop and will not stay at 180fps. I heard that fortnite have some much to render and that can cause stuttering but like i said with lowest settings it will still drop. And my friend have same components that i have but worse GPU and he doesnt have these problems.

Im playing fortnite and I locked my fps to 180fps, my fps will drop to 140fps often but time to time will drop under 100. I have tested also rust and same thing there. I play most of the time fortnite, i have tried low settings but the fps will still drop and will not stay at 180fps. I heard that fortnite have some much to render and that can cause stuttering but like i said with lowest settings it will still drop. And my friend have same components that i have but worse GPU and he doesnt have these problems.
Have you tried any single player games? Multiplayer games tend to have more issues with fps drops and stutter caused by lag or more calculations required for large numbers of players.

I have a similar setup, .....
  1. Make sure you update the GPU drivers DIRECT from the GPU maker not Windows
  2. Check your powerplan in windows, set balanced
  3. Nvidia system panel (green icon) and check the settings, especially set the powerplan under "Global settings" for the GPU to Adaptive

What display do you have? Is G-Sync enabled or Free-sync?

Dec 15, 2019
I have a similar setup, .....
  1. Make sure you update the GPU drivers DIRECT from the GPU maker not Windows
  2. Check your powerplan in windows, set balanced
  3. Nvidia system panel (green icon) and check the settings, especially set the powerplan under "Global settings" for the GPU to Adaptive
What display do you have? Is G-Sync enabled or Free-sync?
G-Syng is enabled and i think my display is PC 1920 x 1080 from nvidia controlpanel if i understand that right. I downloaded my driver from asus website and i think its the same driver that is in nvidia website, the driver is 441.66 and its the newest that i can get.

Dec 15, 2019
Have you tried any single player games? Multiplayer games tend to have more issues with fps drops and stutter caused by lag or more calculations required for large numbers of players.
I havent tried single players games. My main issue that i cant understand is why my friend with same components except worse GPU have better FPS in same game and higher graphic settings.

Dec 15, 2019
Hey guys

I had the same issue with my pc running ryzen 3 2200g and asus dual rx580 4gig, you should download an empty standby list tool https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/. And i also googled how to fix stuttering on Windows 10 https://windowsreport.com/fix-pc-stuttering-windows-10/ this helped me a bit and then go to the YouTube and optimize windows 10 for ryzen
View: https://youtu.be/sAN3Zjm8xTM
. When you do all this it should fix the stuttering at least it did for me, hope it helped stuttering is really a big pain in the but. Good luck man!

I havent tried single players games. My main issue that i cant understand is why my friend with same components except worse GPU have better FPS in same game and higher graphic settings.
Compare your graphics settings to your friends and try using those. Your problem might also be a bug with the high precision event timer and you should make sure to update the motherboard bios if you haven't done so yet. I know an old friend had this bug back in 2018 when he built his Ryzen 5 2600 system, but I don't know if he ever got it fixed.

What did you lock your FPS with , MSI Afterburnrer?. If your refreshz rate is 165 then 200 fps are of no real value anyway. I would disable G-Sync and uninstall anything like Afterburner etc , then remove present GPU drivers and download new. After run a simple test like Userbenchmark to see what it is doing.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
did you activated the XMP profile in the bios for your ram ?

your description shows a 3200Mhz ram kit, but if you didn't activated XMP and your friend did, it explain the differences in FPS .

Explanation : in the ryzen architecture, the communication speed of the cores inside the CPU are tied to RAM speed. up to 3600mhz for ryzen 3xxx , and up to 3200mhz for ryzen 2xxx.

activate your XMP profile following this procedure for your motherboard :

Boot into the BIOS by pressing [DEL] or <F2> if you PC starts up during the post procedure.

Switch to Advanced mode by pressing <F7> on your keyboard.

Go to the Ai Tweaker section of the menu, and change the AI Overclocking Tuner to D.O.C.P Standard.

At the D.O.C.P. choose the appropriate XMP profile for your Ram modules. (it could be one and it could be more profiles)

If you did that, go to the Exit menu and select Save Changes & Reset or just press the <F10> key on your keyboard.

After you PC reboots, the new Ram frequency values should have been applied. :)