Question FPS goes low only in Open World Games

Apr 1, 2023
Hi all,

Noob here. Have no idea about tech. Just started gaming.

I'm not sure why my system (12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1235U 1.30 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit OS) lags in open world games. Only when the missions are in an open environment. For Eg: In Watchdogs 2, the first mission begins in a building and there's no lag in the gameplay.

It starts as soon as the missions are outside on a larger map. This happens in every game especially when the speed of the movement increases (like a bike race).

Could someone tell me how to counter this?

Apr 1, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can y please pass on the make and model of your laptop? An SKU tot eh laptop would help s two fold. As for said laptop, please pass on it's BIOS version as well.
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.17, 20-10-2022
System SKU 67V52PA#ACJ
System Model HP Laptop 15s-fq5xxx

Hey I hope this is what you asked for. Thanks in Advance!!

Apr 1, 2023
^This, you are running Watch Dogs 2 on a laptop with mere Intel Iris Xe onboard graphics vs a a dedicated GPU. WD 2's minimum requirement GPU wise is a GTX 660 or equivalent, which is 41% faster than Intel's Iris Xe.

Read especially the last sentence about the Iris XE in the Conclusion, which states, "Remember, this is not a gaming GPU".
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-Intel-Iris-Xe/2162vsm1268515
Yeah I get that, but it happens in almost all the open world games that should sit well with my Iris Xe graphics; for example: Dishonored 1. As soon as the speed of the movements increased, the game started lagging.

That's why it made me think maybe its some hidden issue and not specs per se. Idk if I'm making any sense lol

There's only two P-cores on the CPU. While the E-cores should help, games tend to run better on CPUs with a higher single core performance and most of the work tends to be sent to a handful of threads. In addition, Ubisoft games tend to be CPU heavy. This is also an ultraportable-based CPU, so if you're going to throw a CPU heavy task on it, it's going to be nowhere near the 4.4GHz turbo boost, not to mention the E-cores only go up to 3.3GHz

Yeah I get that, but it happens in almost all the open world games that should sit well with my Iris Xe graphics; for example: Dishonored 1. As soon as the speed of the movements increased, the game started lagging.

That's why it made me think maybe its some hidden issue and not specs per se. Idk if I'm making any sense lol
I think you need to learn more about system requirements of games, and take them seriously. However, you certainly aren't the first to overstate the capability of your PC.

Reactions: drivinfast247
There's only two P-cores on the CPU. While the E-cores should help, games tend to run better on CPUs with a higher single core performance and most of the work tends to be sent to a handful of threads. In addition, Ubisoft games tend to be CPU heavy. This is also an ultraportable-based CPU, so if you're going to throw a CPU heavy task on it, it's going to be nowhere near the 4.4GHz turbo boost, not to mention the E-cores only go up to 3.3GHz
The Iris Xe part of his CPU is clocked only at about 1.2 GHz though. I don't think it's made for serious gaming at all, and credible benches I've read about it verify that.

The Iris Xe part of his CPU is clocked only at about 1.2 GHz though. I don't think it's made for serious gaming at all, and credible benches I've read about it verify that.
Yes, while the iGPU isn't that great for gaming, neither is the CPU. The CPU isn't really that powerful and open world games, especially Ubisoft ones, tend to be CPU heavy.

Even an i5-12600K with its weaker UHD 770 handily outperforms the i5-1235U in gaming on the iGPU.