Question FPS going above frame cap

Dec 28, 2022
I have been having BSOD issues since enabling DOCP on my new build. I think I need to play around with my timings more but it has been manageable for now. The problem came after running a CHKDSK in command prompt while trouble shooting the BSODs. I logged into the game that I play the most to run some tests and noticed screen tearing. I have my frame cap at 120 and the game usually runs 100-115, but now I am getting jumps (quite frequently) to around 130. It happens even with DOCP off so as far as I can tell that is not causing the issue. Could the disk scan/repair have cause this somehow? I can not for the life of me find any other examples of this happening. I'm still relatively new to computer building so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

It's unlikely that CHKDSK caused the issue. That being said, I'm not sure what your issue is exactly. Your screen shouldn't tear solely because the FPS are going above the frame cap. Alternatively, your screen shouldn't stop tearing simply because you cap the frames.

I'd try checking your V-Sync settings and possibly updating your graphics drivers. Which GPU do you have?

Dec 28, 2022
It's unlikely that CHKDSK caused the issue. That being said, I'm not sure what your issue is exactly. Your screen shouldn't tear solely because the FPS are going above the frame cap. Alternatively, your screen shouldn't stop tearing simply because you cap the frames.

I'd try checking your V-Sync settings and possibly updating your graphics drivers. Which GPU do you have?
Drivers are all up to date. Here's my full parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/theREALbufo/saved/Twd4pg

I found out last night that my ram may not support my mobo. While my mobo does have my ram on its QVL. could this be causing the issues. The RAM's website says I would need the 2 x 8GB 3600 cl18 of the same RAM (does that mean I can't have 4 sticks). Can I fix this with timings or should I just look into new RAM. Id also like it to be compatible with a ryzen 9 5950x for when I upgrade it eventually.

My main problem is that my games were running super stable at first. Running 100-115fps, never going over and never tearing. And then something happened and now I'm getting jumps from 60-130fps and tearing.

Last edited:
Drivers are all up to date. Here's my full parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/theREALbufo/saved/Twd4pg

I found out last night that my ram may not support my mobo. While my mobo does have my ram on its QVL. could this be causing the issues. The RAM's website says I would need the 2 x 8GB 3600 cl18 of the same RAM (does that mean I can't have 4 sticks). Can I fix this with timings or should I just look into new RAM. Id also like it to be compatible with a ryzen 9 5950x for when I upgrade it eventually.

My main problem is that my games were running super stable at first. Running 100-115fps, never going over and never tearing. And then something happened and now I'm getting jumps from 60-130fps and tearing.
You have 2 kits of ram.
That may or may not ever work proper.
Remove one of the kits and fit the remaining kit in the proper slots.

It is important to know which 2 sticks belong to a kit.

Dec 28, 2022
You have 2 kits of ram.
That may or may not ever work proper.
Remove one of the kits and fit the remaining kit in the proper slots.

It is important to know which 2 sticks belong to a kit.
Ah. Well at this point I would probably rather return them and just get something that will work out of the box. Could you help point me in the right direction for something that would work with my current build and if I upgrade to a Ryzen 8 5800x3d.

Dec 28, 2022
There is a better chance of getting 2 sticks to play nice together than 4 sticks.
Roger. Even if it is all apart of the same kit? What about these: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562838637/F4-3200C14D-32GTZN
Which would be the best all around option.

Last edited:
Roger. What about these: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562838637/F4-3200C14D-32GTZN
Which would be the best all around option.
Either one should work make sure of the return policy.

Make sure you have an up to date bios.

Dec 28, 2022
That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to help me! Do you think my frame rate issues are coming from the RAM? It was weird because I had a couple days of my games acting 100% normal then the instability kinda came out of no where. Should I just leave this system alone until the new memory arrives?

That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to help me! Do you think my frame rate issues are coming from the RAM? It was weird because I had a couple days of my games acting 100% normal then the instability kinda came out of no where. Should I just leave this system alone until the new memory arrives?
No idea if the ram is causing a problem just plugging a possible hole.

Reactions: thebufo