Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hi guys.

FX - 8350
GTX 970
16GB Corsair RAM
GA-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 5 I think)
500 GB SSD

Most of my games run pretty well on 2720x1536 and 1080. obviously on a 970 I can't max everything at 1536.

I play an older game called Aion, it's an MMO. It is a CPU demanding game. Here is my problem:

Sometimes the game runs incredibly smooth. Sometimes it does not. Fluid 55 - 60 fps. (I use a Sony 60hz TV, so I realize this may be part of the problem).Fallout 4 and GTA5 act the same way.

I'm just wondering, is there a reason sometimes these games run perfectly smooth and sometimes I end up with 10 less FPS, sometimes more, and additional stutter/micro stutter?

Is there something I can do to improve this without improving my hardware? It seems odd to me that sometimes these games run very smooth (like they should) but sometimes they do not and there is no real discerning factor.

Arkahm

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Thank you! I had a feeling it might be the mobo. It also sticks me with ddr3 ram and does not give my ssd full sata potential. Is there a board I could upgrade to without having to change my CPU? I realize I would have to buy new RAM.

TBH, I was saving for a gaming mobo and an i5/i7 + new RAM and a case but if i can get a new mobo to hold me over until then...

Arkahm

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I'll have to get the model number when I get home, I'm not sure tbh but i was planning on upgrading that as well so it isn't a huge issue atm. Assume I have the correct size for the mobo for now, that you may have in mind.