[SOLVED] FPS issues while GPU, CPU and RAM are not exhausted at all ?

Jul 24, 2021
Heyho :)

I have the problem that with my currently played games none really exhausts my hardware, but the FPS really does not come up... I've already thought about upgrading the PC, but I think that doesn't make sense if you don't really get to the limit, right?

My system is this:

Win 10
8GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce 3X OC
16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 DIMM
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8x 3.00GHz So.AM4 BOX
ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD B350 So.AM4 Dual Channel

Currently I play Rocket League, COD Warzone and Assassins Creed Origins.

For this I also sat down and tested the values in different situations. This came out as an average: (sorry for german words there :D)

TpQGSyg.png

Ultimately, I have to say that the load is simply NEVER, in any game, really high. At Warzone, the RAM usage goes relatively far, but GPU and CPU stay behind. With Assassins Creed, I didn't really exhaust any of my components and just can't get a decent FPS. Then a CPU change, RAM change and MB change, which I had really thought about recently, should not really be necessary, right?

Does anybody know what I could do here to get more FPS?

Thanks so much in advance!

Solution
Check the NVIDIA control panel; there's definitely a FPS cap you can set, both globally and per game. Vsync could also be coming into play and artificially capping you to 60 FPS. Only thing other then that I could suspect is the PSU may not be providing enough power to the GPU.

That being said, be careful of looking at CPU usage charts; it's hard to max out all cores on a CPU, especially as core count increases. So while 60% may seem low, it might be expected in certain titles. Regardless, GPU usage looks low enough where it's more likely it's being limited somehow.
Jul 24, 2021
Hey Fix! Thanks for your answer.

My bios is the latest according to this one, https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350 Pro4/#BIOS, i just double-checked restarting my PC and entering BIOS.
My GPU drivers are the latest ones. I reinstalled Windows some weeks ago and made fresh installation of all latest drivers, and also updated every drivers in the weeks afterwards so far, so that should be fine.

Do you want me to show the GPU-Z stats while I'm in a game?

If not, here is what GPU-Z shows:

FVXCksY.gif
CZ3lYcS.gif
gZIOPmG.gif

Does this help you in any way?

Jul 24, 2021
Ok, unfortunately I have no idea. I went to the BIOS, found nothing there, I put all my energy-options in windows and NVidia Control panel to maximum performance, but the GPU still doesnt go beyond 55 % usage in AC Origins for example, while the CPU also stays low.

Interesting is, that when I enter the AC Origins menu, the GPU Usage goes up to 80 % and the framerate also up to 105 (testing on my 144 hz monitor).

Do you have any idea where I could have a frame rate cap, voltage cap or temp limit? Of course I triple checked that there is no FPS cap in the game options. And this problem occurs in multiple games, so that shouldn't be the issue.

edit: Could it be that the CPU is indeed the bottleneck, although its not having high CPU usage? Maybe the games are simply horribly written and so the CPU is not used to its full potential, but still somehow "exhausted" in the game? Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Check the NVIDIA control panel; there's definitely a FPS cap you can set, both globally and per game. Vsync could also be coming into play and artificially capping you to 60 FPS. Only thing other then that I could suspect is the PSU may not be providing enough power to the GPU.

That being said, be careful of looking at CPU usage charts; it's hard to max out all cores on a CPU, especially as core count increases. So while 60% may seem low, it might be expected in certain titles. Regardless, GPU usage looks low enough where it's more likely it's being limited somehow.

Solution
Jul 24, 2021
Thanks for your reply.

I checked everything, I did not set a FPS cap globally in the NVidia preferences, nor did I do that at my games. All games use the global settings. The preferences for "max refresh rate" is "off". Power management mode is "prefer maximum performance".

My PSU is a beQuiet 750W. I seriously doubt that this is not enough for my setup. :D

I fear the ideas where my problem could come from come to an end, right? ^^