FPS issues with ROG Strix GTX 1060 6Gb

janahan090

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a 750ti to and ROG Strix 1060 6Gb and I've since been having problems running games. Playing GTAV, my settings are on very high at 1080p but when i drive around I will encounter frame stutter (sometimes from 70fps down to around 20fps). GTA was only using 2Gb of the cards VRAM (if that's relevant). Earlier I loaded CSGO and it was doing the same thing which is a problem I never encountered with the 750. My system specs-

AMD FX-8350 at 4GHz
8Gb DDR3 RAM
Corsair VS650 PSU

I have tried using DDU to uninstall my 750ti drivers but that has made no difference to the fps. I have also monitored the temperature of the card and it is going no higher than 60 degrees C. Any ideas on what could be causing these issues?

Solution
212 EVO is cheap and it works unless you are extreme overclocking

If the new cooler doesn't help with FPS consider a CPU upgrade which would essentially mean moving on to AM4/Ryzen. You are getting the most you can pretty much out of the AM3+ platform with the 8350.

jr9

Estimable
Is your CPU hitting 100% usage and the card dropping down at the same time? You can watch for this using HWmonitor. My first thought is your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card. HWINFO64 will give you charts as well.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

look at cpu temps/core speeds

use msi afterburner and turn on cpu usage and core speeds + temp monitoring in the OSD

the 8350 is weak, so most likely a cpu bottleneck

it may also be thermal throttling

janahan090

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Downloaded HWmonitor and it is showing both GPU and CPU usage is at 100% while playing PUBG (don't know if the game makes a difference?).

janahan090

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

My CPU core temps are reaching 75C while playing PUBG on high. All cores are performing at 4GHz. However i did recently find that my RAM speed is 800 MHz which I'm pretty sure is terrible. Could this be the problem?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

75 degrees is too hot, old fx cpu's start throttling at ~62 degrees

you are thermal throttling

your ram is dual channel: 800 x 2 = 1600mhz

janahan090

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Would a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler keep it at a decent temperature?

jr9

Estimable
212 EVO is cheap and it works unless you are extreme overclocking

If the new cooler doesn't help with FPS consider a CPU upgrade which would essentially mean moving on to AM4/Ryzen. You are getting the most you can pretty much out of the AM3+ platform with the 8350.

Solution