Question FPS < refresh rate

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi All

I have a 3080ti GPU and playing a game on 60HZ OLED TV.

I am getting 45 - 50 fps(max) in a game at 4k resolution. But my OLED TV is set to 60HZ (Max refresh rate).

Shall i enable VSYNC or some other feature to avoid the stuttering issue because FPS < Refresh rate in my case.

Please suggest what should i do?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync will give you input lag. Try fast sync, leave Hz at 60. Or, sort of a hack, limit fps to 59 with fps limiter in NvidiaCP and enable Vsync. Let us know if you get input lag this way.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Vsync will give you input lag. Try fast sync, leave Hz at 60. Or, sort of a hack, limit fps to 59 with fps limiter in NvidiaCP and enable Vsync. Let us know if you get input lag this way.
Thank you for your response.

But in my case my fps is around 45 which is far less than 60 or 59 fps.

So what's the point to limit the fps to 59 as GPU is struggling to reach 60 fps at 4k resolution.

We set the fps limit to 59 with VSYNC if GPU is producing more FPS than refresh rate to avoid screen tearing. Right?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
In simple terms, I just want to ask.

if we play any AAA title which produce less FPS than refresh rate.

Can we do anything to remove the stutter? or just play like this

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync tries to sync every frame to the display, doesn't matter what the fps is doing. In my experience, 59fps + vsync is smoother than just limiting fps.

Regarding your stutters, there's different kinds. Display not in sync with frame rate isn't smooth, as in a jittery look but no soft pauses. Soft or hard pauses isn't associated with display syncing but rather system performance ie throttling, background running processes, storage io delays, drivers, power supply, list can go on what might be possibly going on. It can be tedious process identifying these things.

Latencymon can help identify stutter problems.

List PC specs.

Cpu & cooler
Motherboard
Ram
Storage for OS / games, how much free space on OS drive?
OS
Graphics card: 3080Ti
Psu
Case

Is Windows freshly installed on this PC?

Reactions: anjris

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Vsync tries to sync every frame to the display, doesn't matter what the fps is doing. In my experience, 59fps + vsync is smoother than just limiting fps.

Regarding your stutters, there's different kinds. Display not in sync with frame rate isn't smooth, as in a jittery look but no soft pauses. Soft or hard pauses isn't associated with display syncing but rather system performance ie throttling, background running processes, storage io delays, drivers, power supply, list can go on what might be possibly going on. It can be tedious process identifying these things.

Latencymon can help identify stutter problems.

List PC specs.

Cpu & cooler
Motherboard
Ram
Storage for OS / games, how much free space on OS drive?
OS
Graphics card: 3080Ti
Psu
Case

Is Windows freshly installed on this PC?
Yes, it was freshly installed on PC.

I don't have any issues with latency. I was just asking in general.

If we play AAA games and If FPS < Refresh rate.

Do we need to do anything special? Or shall i just continue like this? or shall i lock the fps to 30. As half of refresh rate.

Why because i have played game where my GPU was producing 120fps on 60HZ TV
FPS > refresh rate. In that case i have done as you said above. 59 fps limiter + vsync. ;)

But what should i do in reverse case? That's my original query.

I hope you understood my query

MY BUILD: Core i7 9700K, Noctua Noctua NH-U14S Cooler with 2 Fans, MSI Z390 Ace, G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 8GB x 4 , Seasonic PRIME TX-850 , Colorful RTX 3080 Ti NB-V, Cooler Master MB511 RGB, SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB (M.2 SATA), WD Green 120GB (M.2 SATA), Kingston NVMe KC3000 1TB, 5x Nocuta NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM , Gigabyte Force K83, Razer Death Elite, Windows 11 Pro.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
either reduce game details, reduce resolution (1440p/dlss) to get out 60fps or limit fps to 30
Is there any harm if i play on 40 - 45 fps on 60 HZ TV? is it recommended.

Will i get stutter or screen tearing anything?

The game which i am playing doesn't support DLSS. (The Quarry)

Then i guess i need more powerful GPU to match or produce more FPS with my TV refresh rate at 4k Resolution.

or the last option is to reduce settings from Ultra to high
hmm whats stopping you from using 1440p?
TV should have upscaler with like 98% accuracy of 4k content at 1440p

you will just need to switch from GPU upscaling to TV upscaling in nvidia control settings

I am sitting very close to TV. so if i lower the resolution. it will be a pixel hunting for me.
TV has better upscaler then GPU, it should look fine?
NvidiaControlPanel.png

switch to no scaling here, otherwise GPU would upscale 1440p to 4k
tv would receive 4k signal instead of 1440p signal
that means your TV upscaler wont kick in
you can confirm TV/GPU upscaler with active signal resolution, active signal should be matching your desktop resolution
if you see something like this when changing resolution, then your TV upscaler is not used
View: https://imgur.com/UjD3kHU
in this case 1440p resolution is upscaled by GPU into 4K, TV receives 4K and doesnt use its own upscaler (which is better then on GPU and usualy has better latency)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it was freshly installed on PC.

I don't have any issues with latency. I was just asking in general.

If we play AAA games and If FPS < Refresh rate.

Do we need to do anything special? Or shall i just continue like this? or shall i lock the fps to 30. As half of refresh rate.

Why because i have played game where my GPU was producing 120fps on 60HZ TV
FPS > refresh rate. In that case i have done as you said above. 59 fps limiter + vsync. ;)

But what should i do in reverse case? That's my original query.

I hope you understood my query

MY BUILD: Core i7 9700K, Noctua Noctua NH-U14S Cooler with 2 Fans, MSI Z390 Ace, G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 8GB x 4 , Seasonic PRIME TX-850 , Colorful RTX 3080 Ti NB-V, Cooler Master MB511 RGB, SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB (M.2 SATA), WD Green 120GB (M.2 SATA), Kingston NVMe KC3000 1TB, 5x Nocuta NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM , Gigabyte Force K83, Razer Death Elite, Windows 11 Pro.

Was trying to determine what kind of stutter you're referring to because pretty much every game should perform well with your setup at 4k even if fps is belowish under 60fps, motion should still look reasonable with vsync. 59fps limit is just a little trick to reduce input lag permanently on 60Hz displays. There's no harm in running an unsynchronized display other than ruining your enjoyment if there's tearing and jitters.

Perhaps try disable antialiasing in games. Shouldn't need any resolution enhancements in 4k, resolution itself should be crisp enough and should reduce gpu overhead and give you better more stable minimum performance. Try with and without DLSS if games offer the setting, see what you think. Same goes for Ray tracing, try on vs off.

Reactions: anjris

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
TV has better upscaler then GPU, it should look fine?
NvidiaControlPanel.png

switch to no scaling here, otherwise GPU would upscale 1440p to 4k
tv would receive 4k signal instead of 1440p signal
that means your TV upscaler wont kick in
you can confirm TV/GPU upscaler with active signal resolution, active signal should be matching your desktop resolution
if you see something like this when changing resolution, then your TV upscaler is not used
View: https://imgur.com/UjD3kHU
in this case 1440p resolution is upscaled by GPU into 4K, TV receives 4K and doesnt use its own upscaler (which is better then on GPU and usualy has better latency)
Please see the screenshot below of my settings. 2 photos

View: https://imgur.com/a/TaMISYU

FAhentai

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2016
V-sync means when your graphic card FPS>REFRESH RATE, your system force the graphic card work slower to meet your refresh rate so it prevents grahic tearing.
In your case, forget about that. You need that when your refresh rate<FPS.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
V-sync means when your graphic card FPS>REFRESH RATE, your system force the graphic card work slower to meet your refresh rate so it prevents grahic tearing.
In your case, forget about that. You need that when your refresh rate<FPS.
So , i won't do anything. Just play like this.

Fps < refresh rate

No need to apply any special filtering.