Question fps stops at 75 fps

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
hi.

i saw that my fps is 75 at every game. this still was a problem before i had gtx 960 but i thought that after a new installation of drivers its gonna repair.
i dont know what makes it

specs: gigabyte ga-78-lmt usb3 r6.0
amd fx 6100 (oc to 4.2ghz)
msi geforce gtx 960 2gb (slightly overclocked) (newest driver)
psu: corsair cx 430

and no, there is no cpu bottleneck (even in osu its 75, after the new gpu and before)

maybe i should reinstall windows or something.

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
Well, since you didn't mention it, the obvious question is what display are you using and do you have Vsync on in games or otherwise, GPU control panel for instance?
well, i have a LG flatron D2342 (a 60 hz monitor). even before i checked if i had v-sync on and its off. i checked all options at gpu control panel and i had turned off like v-syncs

well, i have a LG flatron D2342 (a 60 hz monitor). even before i checked if i had v-sync on and its off. i checked all options at gpu control panel and i had turned off like v-syncs

OK, I trust that to be the case, but as this is an English speaking forum, I have no idea what that language is let alone being able to translate it.

What resolution are you playing at, and what resolution and refresh is your desktop showing as in Windows Display properties?

Worse case scenario is you might need to go into the AMD GPU control panel and set a custom 60Hz resolution for your display.

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
OK, I trust that to be the case, but as this is an English speaking forum, I have no idea what that language is let alone being able to translate it.
i overclocked it one time to like 74 fps, i played like 15-20 minutes and i turned it off ( for my own safety )
and now i never overclocked it again ( i dont want take the risk )

does that matter? like does because of my display being overclocked before stops it ( something brokes or something)?

and at the time its not overclocked

i overclocked it one time to like 74 fps, i played like 15-20 minutes and i turned it off ( for my own safety )
and now i never overclocked it again ( i dont want take the risk )

does that matter? like does because of my display being overclocked before stops it ( something brokes or something)?

and at the time its not overclocked

Uh, yeah, pretty sure that matters, meaning it isn't likely a coincidence you're seeing it capped at 75 Hz in games.

At this point I would advise looking in the display's manual to make SURE you reset it to 60 Hz properly.

I wouldn't worry about damage since the display allows OCing. You'd have likely seen a clear indication were it actually damaged.

What is your res and refresh showing as in Windows Display Settings?

So Iassume that means you're trying to achie
1920x1080 60hz

So I assume you want unlimited FPS in games, as OSU from what I've read appears to be a game designed around fast reflexes, vs heavy graphics?

Since Windows seems to be reporting the refresh properly, I have to ask, what are you using to monitor FPS in game that reports it as 75? Also, when you see it as 75, is the performance OK?

I'm not sure if it's possible for this to happen, but I know driver IDs of older GPUs can be retained in Windows and cause problems with a new GPU install. This is one of the purposes of using a tool like DDU to completely remove old graphics drivers when updating them. Reason I'm saying this is it may or may not be possible the 75 Hz refresh info got retained by games as a Display property (or the driver, so use DDU if you didn't already!).

If wiping/reinstalling the driver doesn't work, it might be helpful to remove your settings file in games (NOT SAVE GAME), relocate it, and see if the game then sees the new refresh rate. PCGamingWiki is a site I use a lot to locate where such files are contained.

You'll likely need to input your settings again when relocating the settings file, IF you changed any key bindings or other settings. In the case it does not achieve the desired results though, you can easily put the file back if you just relocate vs delete it.

Last edited:

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
So I assume you want unlimited FPS in games, as OSU from what I've read appears to be a game designed around fast reflexes, vs heavy graphics?

Since Windows seems to be reporting the refresh properly, I have to ask, what are you using to monitor FPS in game that reports it as 75? Also, when you see it as 75, is the performance OK?
i using build-in fps counter like in osu, its says 75/480fps.
when i see it as 75 the game at menu likes to stutter (i think because of math that osu is doing to describe difficulty)

i also tested it on world of tanks and same results, stuck on 75fps without vsync

i used DDU and reinstalled the newest drivers, deleted the settings file from osu (i used PCgamingWIKI (great recomendation, thanks)) and its still the same results - 75 FPS :mad: :mad:.

i wonder why its locked up at 75fps

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
hi. something weird happened. i tried turning on CS2 and it was normal (still 75fps locked), i wanted to change the shadows settings from low to medium and my resolution locked at 1600x900 (i cant change it to 1080p ) and fps is like 90-120fps. idk what is the problem and why only in cs2 and why i cant change resolution.

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
and thats ever more weird!!! i restarted cs2 and same resolution happened but i opened window mode, not full screen before i restarted and i could use 1920x1080 resolution, when i tried use it at fullscreen it just changed back to 1600x900. very weird

janesiako5

Prominent
Sep 24, 2022
and again, now in gta 5. yesterday installed custom os on my phone and i had to plug additional monitor to my pc. now today i went to gta 5 and in menu i have like 110-120fps ( i see this with Alt + R, build in on nvidia driver ) and it shows it (in game i have 50-60 fps, at almost max 1080p)