Question FPS Stutter and odd performance. RTX 4070 Ti Super I9-12900k

May 10, 2024
Hey yall, new to Toms Hardware forums, yall seem smart here.

Running into some performance issues with my build.
Im seeing various FPS spikes when playing any game (example 270 fps, 180 99% fps, that's like a 100 fps difference right there)
When stress testing with XTU, I keep getting thermal throttling and power limit throttling.
When using Riva tuner, I keep seeing Power Voltage Limit on the top left side of the screen.
I was getting computer crashes (without blackscreen) but did DISM online restore health which seemed to fix it but wouldn't be surprised if that didn't exactly fix it.

Im starting to think its and SSD problem as well. Ive used the same SSD and OS system for 3 different motherboards, 3 different CPU's and 5 different GPU's. Ive done the whole DDU process on my new GPU but I still think its time to move on to a better SSD.

Userbenchmark is saying its time to upgrade the SSD, Micro Center support is saying its time for a 850W power supply.
Im just looking for general advice here, Im new to having these high end PC parts. I miss having a simple 2080TI.

Here is my list of hardware
CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K - 118.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070-TS (Ti-Super) - 224.6%
SSD: Spcc 2.5" SSD 1TB - 37%
RAM: G Skill Intl F5-6000J3636F162x16GB - 179.7%
MBD: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI (MS-7D91)
Power Supply: EVGA 750 B5, 80 Plus BRONZE 750W

Any suggestions are appreciated <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I was getting computer crashes (without blackscreen) but did DISM online restore health which seemed to fix it but wouldn't be surprised if that didn't exactly fix it.
You might want to keep a bootable USB installer for Windows 11 handy.

MBD: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

How old is your PSU in your build?

Honestly, with the sort of hardware you have in your build, you should have an NVMe drive, at the very least a PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD.

Make and model of your case? Number of fans in said case and their orientation in said case?

Reactions: PEnns
May 10, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to keep a bootable USB installer for Windows 11 handy.

MBD: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

How old is your PSU in your build?

Honestly, with the sort of hardware you have in your build, you should have an NVMe drive, at the very least a PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD.

Make and model of your case? Number of fans in said case and their orientation in said case?
Been looking for a good M.2 SSD drive to upgrade to but cant ever find a 2TB one for under $120. Those 990 Pros look top of the line but they always above the $130 range. Any good recommendations? 1TB just isnt enough in my opinion.

Case is a Cooler Master MasterBox Q500L Micro-ATX Tower, got 2 Noctua fans in it., tried installing more a week ago but wouldnt solve the thermal throttling problem when stress testing on XTU. I have a Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler pushing year 4 for the i9-12900k but I have a MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R V2 coming in about a week to replace it.

PSU is pushing year 4 as well, had in the case since I built it originally. I literally just learned how to overclock my CPU and GPU a month ago when I picked up the 4070ti super.

Updated my BIO right when I bought so I could enable XMP so it should be up to date.

Last edited:
Hey yall, new to Toms Hardware forums, yall seem smart here.

Running into some performance issues with my build.
Im seeing various FPS spikes when playing any game (example 270 fps, 180 99% fps, that's like a 100 fps difference right there)
When stress testing with XTU, I keep getting thermal throttling and power limit throttling.
When using Riva tuner, I keep seeing Power Voltage Limit on the top left side of the screen.

Im starting to think its and SSD problem as well. Ive used the same SSD and OS system for 3 different motherboards, 3 different CPU's and 5 different GPU's. Ive done the whole DDU process on my new GPU but I still think its time to move on to a better SSD.

Userbenchmark is saying its time to upgrade the SSD, Micro Center support is saying its time for a 850W power supply.
Im just looking for general advice here, Im new to having these high end PC parts. I miss having a simple 2080TI.

Here is my list of hardware
CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K - 118.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070-TS (Ti-Super) - 224.6%
SSD: Spcc 2.5" SSD 1TB - 37%
RAM: G Skill Intl F5-6000J3636F162x16GB - 179.7%
MBD: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI (MS-7D91)

Any suggestions are appreciated <3
Post a link to the userbenchmark results page.

I would not hurt to move out to a quality 850w psu.

If you remove the overclocking you have done do the problems go away?