Question FPS suddenly going down until restart

Jun 2, 2024
My temps are fine. Both cpu and gpu. Under or near 70.

I'll be gaming for a bit. Maybe 45 minutes or more than I get a sudden fps drop on every single game until I restart and then it completely disappears. AC origins goes from 120/75 fps to 77/12 and nothing will fix this except restarting.

I have GeForce 4070 super with 12400. Hp victus 15L desktop. I only have a 500 watt psu. My watts used then this was happening was 65 watts on the cpu and 130-160 watts or less on the gpu in this specific game. So I'm pulling likely under 300 watts total system use. In ac origins at 2k I'm at 50 percent gpu usage in this scenario.

Could a virus/malware cause this? This is not a fps hiccup. It's suddenly drops in half and won't go back up ON ANY GAME until restart. Very bizzare.This has happened over 20 times.

I don't see how malware could cause this, because nerfing the GPU performance is pretty weak sauce for modern day malware (like this is like a 12 year old script kiddie kind of behavior) and would be easily detectable. I'd first try doing a clean reinstall of the drivers which at the minimum would be:
  • Download the current drivers
  • Unplug the computer from the internet
  • Uninstall the drivers you have from the Windows' Control Panel
    • You could substitute this by using DDU.
  • Restart the computer
  • Install the new drivers
But if I suspect my software configuration is beyond figuring out in like a day or two, I tend to just reinstall Windows. I understand if that's not in your cards, but also, we could spend like a week trying various anti-malware programs and still come up with nothing or asking a bunch of questions about your system configuration settings and also coming up with nothing.

Outside of that, I'm leaning more towards the power supply not really being up to snuff, but that also depends on what power supply you have.

Ralston18

Titan
Lots of tools available to help troubleshoot:

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance while gaming. Use both tools but only one tool at a time. You will need to leave the tool window open and viewable while gaming. The objective being to discover what is changing as or when the fps drops.

You can also look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or just informational entries related to the timing of the fps drops. Reliability History/Monitor presents a timeline format that may reveal some pattern.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) is another tool that can be used.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Overall, the PSU is a likely culprit. Possibly something getting hotter and hotter and degrading performance. Reaches some point when a shutdown/cool down is needed via the restart.

I'll be gaming for a bit. Maybe 45 minutes or more than I get a sudden fps drop on every single game until I restart and then it completely disappears. AC origins goes from 120/75 fps to 77/12 and nothing will fix this except restarting.
What are full specs of your system?
Check ram usage.
If your system is low on ram and ram usage goes past to what is physically available, this will cause a significant performance hit.
On restart all used ram gets cleared.

Run your game until you get to performance degradation point,
make a screenshot from
Task Manager - Performance/Memory section and show here.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

RTX 4070 minimum recommended PSU is 650W.

Jun 2, 2024
I don't see how malware could cause this, because nerfing the GPU performance is pretty weak sauce for modern day malware (like this is like a 12 year old script kiddie kind of behavior) and would be easily detectable. I'd first try doing a clean reinstall of the drivers which at the minimum would be:
  • Download the current drivers
  • Unplug the computer from the internet
  • Uninstall the drivers you have from the Windows' Control Panel
    • You could substitute this by using DDU.
  • Restart the computer
  • Install the new drivers
But if I suspect my software configuration is beyond figuring out in like a day or two, I tend to just reinstall Windows. I understand if that's not in your cards, but also, we could spend like a week trying various anti-malware programs and still come up with nothing or asking a bunch of questions about your system configuration settings and also coming up with nothing.

Outside of that, I'm leaning more towards the power supply not really being up to snuff, but that also depends on what power supply you have.
thanks. I downloaded a bunch of old delisted games and some were flagged by windows defender, but I went ahead anyway with one of them since I thought oldgamesdownload and archive were safe and it was a false positive.

I really don't want to lose these games. Should I just delete all of them and reinstall windows? I buy all my games, but these are not available for purchase anymore.

I ran malwarebytes scanner and it removed one piece of malware and I deleted that game, but the problem persists. Windows defender scan is coming back clean now even with those games on the system

Jun 2, 2024
What are full specs of your system?
Check ram usage.
If your system is low on ram and ram usage goes past to what is physically available, this will cause a significant performance hit.
On restart all used ram gets cleared.

Run your game until you get to performance degradation point,
make a screenshot from
Task Manager - Performance/Memory section and show here.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

RTX 4070 minimum recommended PSU is 650W.
Yeah, but cooler master psu and newegg calculator shows you're fine with 500 watt for 4070 super. I can't replace the psu. It's proprietary.

I'm nowhere near 500 watts. I have a 65 watt tdp and a 220 watt tdp gpu. Toasty brothers tested out this exact config and 320 watts was the max pull. But, maybe it's still a problem somehow. I don't have imgur
I have 16 gigs of ram

Here's the data on here for assassins creed when it happened.
Gpu 45C 55% 1260mhz
MEM 5913 2397MB 5002mhz
Cpu 66 C 3994Mhz 51.2 Watts
Ram 11563mb 3245mb

I really don't want to lose these games. Should I just delete all of them and reinstall windows? I buy all my games, but these are not available for purchase anymore.
You should have an external drive for this sort of situation.

I'm nowhere near 500 watts. I have a 65 watt tdp and a 220 watt tdp gpu. But, maybe it's still a problem somehow. I don't have imgur
You also need to add like 50W for the rest of the system. Also Intel CPUs consume more than the base TDP rating for short periods, which the i5-12400F will use up to around 120W.

Jun 2, 2024
You should have an external drive for this sort of situation.

You also need to add like 50W for the rest of the system. Also Intel CPUs consume more than the base TDP rating for short periods, which the i5-12400F will use up to around 120W.
I have them on an external drive. I don't need an ssd for those type of games.

include your complete system specs;
make & model of all components
along with the overall time in use.
I only have a 500 watt psu. My watts used then this was happening was 65 watts on the cpu and 130-160 watts or less on the gpu
the shown wattage used doesn't mean as much as the reliability of the power supplied and if it can cover spikes in that power usage.
the recommended minimum wattage for the RTX 4070 Super ranges from 650-750w, so your 500w is not(as others already pointed out) going to cut it.
the lower quality PSU usually provided with these OEM systems is most likely not able to handle this card properly even if it was the proper wattage.
cooler master psu and newegg calculator shows you're fine with 500 watt for 4070 super.
I can't replace the psu. It's proprietary.
that's why it's never a good idea to use these prebuilt OEM systems for modern higher quality gaming.
and those calculators are not to be trusted. they may show the absolute minimum required but do not account for all hardware present or heavy spikes in usage.
you would need a higher quality power supply anyway to even trust that it may provide stable reliable power.

when running DDU to remove graphics related data
run from Windows Safe Mode and select to remove all options available.

Jun 2, 2024
include your complete system specs;
make & model of all components
along with the overall time in use.

the shown wattage used doesn't mean as much as the reliability of the power supplied and if it can cover spikes in that power usage.
the recommended minimum wattage for the RTX 4070 Super ranges from 650-750w, so your 500w is not(as others already pointed out) going to cut it.
the lower quality PSU usually provided with these OEM systems is most likely not able to handle this card properly even if it was the proper wattage.

that's why it's never a good idea to use these prebuilt OEM systems for modern higher quality gaming.
and those calculators are not to be trusted. they may show the absolute minimum required but do not account for all hardware present or heavy spikes in usage.
you would need a higher quality power supply anyway to even trust that it may provide stable reliable power.

when running DDU to remove graphics related data
run from Windows Safe Mode and select to remove all options available.
ok. Hp victus 15L. A few months old.

But what about when I'm not drawing a lot of power. I was cpu bound in that game yet it was happening anyway. Even with capped frame rate. If it was psu related wouldn't it show up under full load instead of on a game that isn't taxing the system? And it was showing up on games that aren't taxing the system. I can game at 99 percent gpu usage and it will be fine drawing 220 watts for a while, but then I'll switch to a game that draws half that and I have issues after a while. And I never lose power.
But maybe it is the psu. I don't know. It just seems odd.

Obviously if I was building a system, I wouldn't use 500 watt psu, but I'm stuck with it now. There's a guy called technitwit on youtube would put a 4070 in his victus 15L. i haven't had a single shut off or crash I THOUGHT that was the number one sign.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024
I can power limit the gpu in msi afterburner if the psu is not up to the task. Is that my best option? Maybe 80 percent? HP sells that exact system I have with a 3060 ti 12gb graphics card and a 65 watt 12,700 cpu.

I can power limit the gpu in msi afterburner if the psu is not up to the task. Is that my best option? Maybe 80 percent? HP sells that exact system I have with a 3060 ti 12gb graphics card and a 65 watt 12,700 cpu.
Well first let's figure out if software is actually a problem. If you still have issues even after going to a known good configuration, we can point at hardware.

There's a guy called technitwit on youtube would put a 4070 in his victus 15L
and one thing to keep in mind is that just about any video you see on YouTube is there to draw views,
not actually relay any important information.
ok. Hp victus 15L.
that is only a name HP put on this system, not the components it houses.
you need to provide the make & model of each component included.

is this a retail card that you purchased separately and put in this thing?
but I'm stuck with it now
possibility you could still return it depending on what exactly you mean by, "a few months".

Jun 2, 2024
and one thing to keep in mind is that just about any video you see on YouTube is there to draw views,
not actually relay any important information.

that is only a name HP put on this system, not the components it houses.
you need to provide the make & model of each component included.

is this a retail card that you purchased separately and put in this thing?

possibility you could still return it depending on what exactly you mean by, "a few months".
Purchased aftermarket gpu. : 49N24AV is the model. Upgraded ram to 16gb.

Everything I've read says a psu simply shuts the computer down if it can't deliver enough power. I've never had that happen. Psu has no effect on fps. Just what I've read. Not saying it's right. I have no idea.

Jun 2, 2024
I should add I haven't noticed this problem when I don't have my fans on hp omen turbo max. I'm going to see if it still happens when my fans are normal. Turbo max makes the fans spin at 100 percent at all times and drops the cpu temp by as much as 13 degrees. Cpu hovers near 80 and cam go as high as 86 with ac oddysey. That's why I was using turbo max fans

Yeah, but cooler master psu and newegg calculator shows you're fine with 500 watt for 4070 super. I can't replace the psu. It's proprietary.
4070 super is 220W card, but it can have short duration transient spikes up to double that.
That's why minimum recommended PSU is 650W.
I don't have imgur
Open imgur.com , press on <New Post> button in upper left corner of the page and upload your screenshot.
I have 16 gigs of ram

Here's the data on here for assassins creed when it happened.
Gpu 45C 55% 1260mhz
MEM 5913 2397MB 5002mhz
Cpu 66 C 3994Mhz 51.2 Watts
Ram 11563mb 3245mb
Will still need screenshot from Task Manager - Performance/Memory section.

My temps are fine. Both cpu and gpu. Under or near 70.

I have GeForce 4070 super with 12400. Hp victus 15L desktop. I only have a 500 watt psu. My watts used then this was happening was 65 watts on the cpu and 130-160 watts or less on the gpu in this specific game. So I'm pulling likely under 300 watts total system use. In ac origins at 2k I'm at 50 percent gpu usage in this scenario.

Could a virus/malware cause this? This is not a fps hiccup. It's suddenly drops in half and won't go back up ON ANY GAME until restart. Very bizzare.This has happened over 20 times.

Is your memory single or duel channel and what is the capacity make and model of ram

Jun 2, 2024
Is your memory single or duel channel and what is the capacity make and
Dual corsair 3600mhz cl22 16gb.

It went away. Turning off turbo 100 percent fan at all times mode fixed it. Very weird. Was it the extra wattage? I didn't think fans used that many watts. If it it comes ba k again, I'll update on here. But bit seems that was the problem. I remembered it not happening until I turned that on.

Hp even sold a 3070 with a 500 wat bronze psu. I have gold psu 500 watt so I thought I was ok

Jun 2, 2024
it could be that the card is getting that much warmer with the lower fan setting that it is thermal throttling itself down and therefore using less power.
Lower fan setting only made a 1 or 2 degree temp difference for gpu. It never gets anywhere near thermal throttling for the gpu. Low 70s was the highest I ve ever seen. Mostly 69 ornlower for gpu. It was the cpu where the difference was. 10 to 13 degrees cooler with fans. 87 for a few seconds was the highest I've seen cpu falling quickly to mid 80s.

YouTube videos really mean nothing in real world scenario;
HP advocates(whether paid or not),
streamers following popular sales and using those to acquire more views,
using popular search phrases to acquire more views,
just knowing that users with less overall knowledge of system mechanics will find their videos and add more views...

that is all the majority of YouTube videos are aimed toward.

if you don't also see it in trusted major tech review sites and advocated from sources similar to Tom's then it is likely BS.

Jun 2, 2024
YouTube videos really mean nothing in real world scenario;
HP advocates(whether paid or not),
streamers following popular sales and using those to acquire more views,
using popular search phrases to acquire more views,
just knowing that users with less overall knowledge of system mechanics will find their videos and add more views...

that is all the majority of YouTube videos are aimed toward.

if you don't also see it in trusted major tech review sites and advocated from sources similar to Tom's then it is likely BS.
What about hardware unboxed or gamers nexus?

Jun 2, 2024
Ok, I opened up task manager like you guys suggested and nvdia container is using 30 percent of my cpu at times! Obviously I think this is the problem. This is not normal right? It was using 30 percent of my cpu while gaming and about just under 30 percent at idle.