Question FPS suddenly going down until restart

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 2, 2024
IT WORKED! I uninstalled geforce experience and my fps shot through the roof! My 1 percent lows went way higher!!!! I've had this geforce 4070 super for a couple week and was wondering why I was getting so much stutter at times in cpu demanding games like spiderman. Swinging is super smooth now.

Why would nvdia package this geforce experience when it does stuff like that? It's like malware that destroys the cards performance. I was losing 30 percent of my cpu which is essential in certain games. AC origins is super smooth now too. Awesome. THANKS!

Jun 2, 2024
My gpu usage went from 65 percent to 99 percent in ghost recon wildlands at 4k. Massive diffference in 1 percent lows. I used to get stuttering at 23 fps. Now I'm around 80 fps for 1 percent lows. I had a bunch of games that were not utilizing my gpu and I thought I needed a better cpu and was thinking of upgrading. It was clearly because of that idiotic geforce experience was hammering my cpu.

Even before the sudden drop and when I would restart, it was still stuttering and had bad 1 percent fps in some games. That's all gone now. I feel like I have a different computer. Unbelievable how something like that can wreck things. Now, I know to check task manager. I was so confused why hardware unboxed at such better fps for their geforce super 4070. Now I know.

tomb raider benchmark was 49 cpu min fps before even when it wasn't needing a restart, now it's 111 fps cpu minimum. That benchmark in that game is an in-game type of benchmark that repeats the same thing so it's very exact.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024
And my cpu temps are better now due to my cpu usage being cut in half. Hunter call of the wild went from 55fps 1 percent low to around 100 or more. My founders edition geforce is around 69 degrees maxed . That's good right?

Why would nvdia package this geforce experience when it does stuff like that? It's like malware that destroys the cards performance. I was losing 30 percent of my cpu which is essential in certain games. AC origins is super smooth now too. Awesome. THANKS!
I'd say this is the opposite to the software developer joke of "It works on my machine." i.e., GFE may not be optimal for your setup (not just hardware, but software configuration too), but it's certainly not a problem on NVIDIA's test machines and what appears to be countless users.

I don't install though because I don't find any value in having it.

Jun 2, 2024
I'd say this is the opposite to the software developer joke of "It works on my machine." i.e., GFE may not be optimal for your setup (not just hardware, but software configuration too), but it's certainly not a problem on NVIDIA's test machines and what appears to be countless users.

I don't install though because I don't find any value in having it.
I ended up finding a 700 watt platinum hp psu that is compatible with my 15L.

BestParts New 700W Power Supply Replacement for HP Z2 G5 G8/ EliteDesk 800 880 G3 G4/ Victus 15L M09027-003 L80662-002 D19-700P1A​

It was 115 bucks. So I should be able to sell my 500 watt psu and come out with it only costing me maybe 35 dollars.