Question FPS suddenly halved in all games?

Feb 26, 2023
PC Parts:
MB: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
CPU: i9-12900K
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X
RAM: Gskills 3200mhz 16GB x2
Storage: Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Cooling system: Noctua NH-U12A
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

On Friday night I updated my GPU from an EVGA RTX 3080 to the Asus TUF RTX 4090 OC. I also transferred my rig into a new PC case as well. Everything seemed to be going fine until last night when I noticed that my frame rates appeared to be lower while I was gaming. When I checked they were at least half in all games. I am up to date on my mobo bios and video drivers. My temps are fine, max mid 80s for CPU and mid 70s for GPU with 3d mark timespy and gaming. My timespy score was 30942 which is slightly below average of 31403 with my setup.

Right now my GPU is connected to my PSU via 3 PCIe cables with the 4th connection daisy-chained. To see if this was a power issue, I removed my new 4090 and put back in my 3080 and that resulted in even worse FPS in games which was not an issue before.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated as my computer should be getting much higher frame rates in the games I am currently playing: WoW, Diablo III, Hogwarts Legacy.

Did you check your Nvidia 3d settings in the Nvidia control panel? When new drivers are installed for the gpu the default setting for Nvidia is let the application decide for Vsync which would limit the fps to your refresh rate of the monitor. One thing to check. I would check the refresh rate setting in your control panel also.

Feb 26, 2023
I have 3 PCIe 8 pin cables. Two of which are connected to their own adapter on the 12VHPWR connector and the other 2 slots on the 12VHPWR are connected to the third one, that is the daisy-chain. I'm not sure if I am describing that correctly or using the correct terminology but yeah three PCIe cables connected to my PSU and all 4 slots on the 12VHPWR connected to those three cables using one cable to connect to two slots on the 12VHPWR adapter.

Feb 26, 2023
When you say daisy chained what is being used?

I have 3 PCIe 8 pin cables. Two of which are connected to their own adapter on the 12VHPWR connector and the other 2 slots on the 12VHPWR are connected to the third one, that is the daisy-chain. I'm not sure if I am describing that correctly or using the correct terminology but yeah three PCIe cables connected to my PSU and all 4 slots on the 12VHPWR connected to those three cables using one cable to connect to two slots on the 12VHPWR adapter.

I just ran a Unigine Heavy Benchmark 4.0 on Extreme settings and my score was 4312 which I think is low looking at others. Max FPS 171.2.

TRENDING THREADS