[SOLVED] Fractal Define 7 fan hub ?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Hi Guys I am using a define 7 together with a Gigabyte Z390 Pro. The case has build in fan hub, which you are suppose to use together with your MB. The only downside is that this means you can't no longer control the speed of individual case fans and cpu fan. Since they all run at the same speed, because the hubs single MB connection you are suppose to connect either to CPU_FAN or case fan 1 port.

So my question is what is the best solution? connecting the case to the MB fan ports? Or live with that all the fan including CPU ran all run at the same speed? Any thoughts?

Solution
Thank you for your answer, but Fractal claims this setup (p.20) from the manual ? Have I misunderstood something?
https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Define_7_Manual-V2.pdf

View: https://imgur.com/a/RWIAAib
Look at the last picture, (connect to the CPU or system fan.

Hook your CPU fan to the CPU fan header not the controller.

I could go into a long drawn out post as to why but I'll make it short.

Your CPU will jump up and down on frequency just opening programs, higher boost your CPU fan jumps up faster then boost goes back down the CPU fan slows back down. Every time this happens your case fans will also jump up in speed if your connect it to the CPU fan header for no reason really.

Lutfij

Titan
In truth the fan hub that comes bundled with the case can work off of any 4pin PWM header available on any motherboard. So long as the chassis fan header also supports PWM functionality, you can have the hub power off and receive signal from that and then have the fans work off of it in tandem.

That being said, if I were you I'd group the fans in the build, for example have the chassis fans to operate off of the CPU temps(which should be possible within BIOS or an app in GUI by Gigabyte).

FYI,
  1. 1 x CPU fan header
  2. 1 x water cooling CPU fan header
  3. 4 x system fan headers
  4. 2 x system fan/water cooling pump headers
^ that's listed in the specs on the board's support site, here. So you're not limited by just two headers.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi Guys I am using a define 7 together with a Gigabyte Z390 Pro. The case has build in fan hub, which you are suppose to use together with your MB. The only downside is that this means you can't no longer control the speed of individual case fans and cpu fan. Since they all run at the same speed, because the hubs single MB connection you are suppose to connect either to CPU_FAN or case fan 1 port.

So my question is what is the best solution? connecting the case to the MB fan ports? Or live with that all the fan including CPU ran all run at the same speed? Any thoughts?
Your CPU fan should be plugged into the CPU fan header, you can connect the hub to any 4 pin system fan header.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for your answer, but Fractal claims this setup (p.20) from the manual ? Have I misunderstood something?
https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Define_7_Manual-V2.pdf

View: https://imgur.com/a/RWIAAib

Your CPU will jump up and down on frequency just opening programs, higher boost your CPU fan jumps up faster then boost goes back down the CPU fan slows back down. Every time this happens your case fans will also jump up in speed if your connect it to the CPU fan header for no reason really.

Reactions: Euroman28
Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020

Thank you for your reply.

I did experience a temp flux for the cpu which jumped between 57c and 78c during gaming.

So in your opinion Fractal p.20 in the manual where they somewhat suggests connecting the CPU fan to the hub is wrong?

I will try your suggestion.