Fractal Design Announces Define R4 Quiet PC Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
That looks wonderful. I spent a fortune on on an Antec P183 and it's no where need as good as that!

If you want a very silent case and have no money. I used to have a really cheap awful OEM beige one. Every screw had a cheap silicon washer either side. http://www.maplin.co.uk/silicon-washers-99272

Fitting it back together was really hard. That crap case had less HDD noise than the Antec P183 I bought :( The Fan was louder in the crap case; but as I've upgraded them all for the Antec and I'm still not happy - I don't think I can blame the OEM beige box much! I really want to hear how good the R4 is.

What the best 120/140mm fan these days?

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Love my FD R3. It was the easiest case I've ever worked with, and I have to put my ear to the case before I can hear any sound at all. My only gripe is the cheap grommets they provide for the openings in the back designed for water coolers. They fall out too easily, and I lost one. Also, I wish there were one more external drive bay, and that this additional bay would not be hidden behind the door. That would allow for adding a card reader or additional USB3 or even thunderbolt ports, which could be used with the front door closed.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
WAXDART,

Without a doubt NOCTUA makes the best fans on the market.
Every part of the fan - blades, shroud, motor, bearing has been meticulously engineered for top performance and low noise. I just got their 140mm fan that fits 120mm holes for $25. It is completely silent running at top speed and is made to produce a high static pressure inside the case. I plan to replace all my fans with NOCTUA at a later date. The only bad thing is they are ugly - brown and tan.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]That looks wonderful. I spent a fortune on on an Antec P183 and it's no where need as good as that! If you want a very silent case and have no money. I used to have a really cheap awful OEM beige one. Every screw had a cheap silicon washer either side. http://www.maplin.co.uk/silicon-washers-99272Fitting it back together was really hard. That crap case had less HDD noise than the Antec P183 I bought The Fan was louder in the crap case; but as I've upgraded them all for the Antec and I'm still not happy - I don't think I can blame the OEM beige box much! I really want to hear how good the R4 is.What the best 120/140mm fan these days?[/citation]
Interesting, my p183 is the quietest case I've ever used. Not sure why yours is so loud.

This Fractal case looks to be exactly what I want in a case. I'll definitely be considering this (or future Fractal models) for my next build. It's even more minimalist than the p183.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I want it... I need it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-O5iMsEQwUActually, I'm fine with by Define R3. Great cases for the money.[/citation]
Thanks a lot. I'm going to have trouble sleeping after watching this.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]JoeMomma[/nom]WAXDART,Without a doubt NOCTUA makes the best fans on the market.Every part of the fan - blades, shroud, motor, bearing has been meticulously engineered for top performance and low noise. I just got their 140mm fan that fits 120mm holes for $25. It is completely silent running at top speed and is made to produce a high static pressure inside the case. I plan to replace all my fans with NOCTUA at a later date. The only bad thing is they are ugly - brown and tan.[/citation]
Ugh don't even get me started on the color scheme. Out of all the colors they could have used... brown and tan?!

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]I want it... I need it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-O5iMsEQwUActually, I'm fine with by Define R3. Great cases for the money.[/citation]
Ponies...

G

differences between r3 and r4, they got rid of that awful fan pci controller and replaced it with a front fan controller, there is now a removable hard drive cage, there is an extra USB3.0 up front and it now supports some 240mm rads, more room behind mobo tray, tool less front fan holders, 2 more ssd mounting places, better rubber grommets. they fixed everything that was wrong with the r3

G

they also came out with 2 more cases, I might get the itx version

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I wonder if you guys have ever tested this Lian Li cases with the front mounted power supply It is a more minimalistic design but it still has enough space to cram in an ATX motherboard. I wonder if it is loud or what? It has a design with only one optical drive slot. That is enough if that is all you want. It has room for both a top and back mounted fan also. I dont know if I like those tiny looking holes in the back. LIAN LI PC-A55B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
It looks like it has room for a long video card as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.