[SOLVED] Fractal Design Define Mini C

daalsat

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
So I just got this new case (rest has stayed the same).

When reading the manual (https://www.fractal-design.com/media/046f3dc0-40cc-4850-aba5-88bad0b0e551), I got confused.
On page 6, it tells me to connect the pins of Power button and LEDs to one header, 6 pins in total.
Now, where on the header do I connect all of them? 6 pins on a header with two rows, only 4/5 pins each?

Also, does the reset button go on the same header?

On my previous case, I had everything connected to one large 9 pin connector that would perfectly fit on the header. I also didn't have a reset button.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Good news is that no harm will come if you do not get it right.
If you look carefully at the motherboard, it will usually have some small markings that identifies the pins in the front panel header box. I do not think there is a standard.
But, I looked at an asus motherboard and an asrock motherboard and I see that the two look the same.
If you orient your view so that the top right is the empty part, the PWR led + will be in the top left corner and PWR LED ground will be next to it on the right.
The PWR switch and ground are the next two to the right. This switch is not polarity sensitive.
The HDD + will be on the bottom left and the HDD led ground will be next to it on the right.
If the led lights do not work, no harm, just reverse...
Your motherboard manual will show you the location of the front panel header and what the pins are.
Check the orientation and locate the empty pin location for reference.
The pwr and RST pairs are not polarity sensitive, plug them into the appropriate pins on the front panel header.
The LED leads are polarity sensitive.
Look for a + on the lead.
Usually the ground will be a common white/black and the + lead will be in color.
If you get it backward, no harm will come, the led just won't work.
Reverse to correct.

daalsat

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
My system is prebuilt and they used an own motherboard, one you wouldn't find on the market. The system manual doesn't say anything about it.
Is there any standard locations where the connectors usually go?
And can I damage something by connecting it wrong?

Good news is that no harm will come if you do not get it right.
If you look carefully at the motherboard, it will usually have some small markings that identifies the pins in the front panel header box. I do not think there is a standard.
But, I looked at an asus motherboard and an asrock motherboard and I see that the two look the same.
If you orient your view so that the top right is the empty part, the PWR led + will be in the top left corner and PWR LED ground will be next to it on the right.
The PWR switch and ground are the next two to the right. This switch is not polarity sensitive.
The HDD + will be on the bottom left and the HDD led ground will be next to it on the right.
If the led lights do not work, no harm, just reverse them.
The RST switch and ground are the next two to the right. It is not polarity sensitive.

You can get some amusing effects if you screw things up like I once did; I connected the pwr LED to the RST switches!!

Solution