[SOLVED] Fractal Design - Define R7 Glass vs Full Metal

Jun 9, 2020
Hi everyone,

New to these forums, so hope this kind of question is okay!

I've decided that my new PC will utilise the Fractal Design Define 7 case, as I love the aesthetics and the reviews for sound dampening are fantastic.

However, a decision that I'm torn between is whether I should opt for the glass versions or the solid steel version.

My concern is whether the glass hampens the sound dampening ability of the case through the removal of a sound dampened side panel? Or is the effect very negligible?

Apologies if that's a daft question, quite new to all this so any help appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Brick60000

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

The full metal version has sound dampening on it, so that's obvious but the glass panel has an edge of a rubber material to absorb any vibrations from mechanical noise. You could just source the full metal version and then add-n a glass panel replacement part since the side panel/mounting mechanism is the same for both the glass and metal version.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epd3WWSYgw4

Jun 9, 2020
Thank you for your reply! :)

Do you know where you can get those from at all (UK)? Sounds like a good option. I've done some searching but can't seem to find a source.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Solution
Jun 9, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case (£143.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £143.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-09 14:15 BST+0100

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case (£135.65 @ More Computers)
Total: £135.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-09 14:15 BST+0100

Thank you for the reply!

I can see an option for the cases on there, but am unable to find just a side panel, not sure if that's something they do? :)

I think I would stick with what comes, depending on the option you pick.
If you like a windowed case, buy that. Looks count.
Noise is created by moving parts, notably by fans running at high rpm.
Be warned, once you start down the quiet computing path, there is no end to it.
Here is a web site for such info:

You can never be silent, but you can be quiet.
Do you have a list of proposed parts?

One strategy is to overprovision your components so that they loaf and do not need much cooling and the attendant high rpm cooling fans.
Buy a stronger graphics card that you need.
Buy gold rated psu of sufficient power plus 20%
Use larger fans which can move more air at lower rpm. Your case comes with two 140mm intakes... excellent.
I would favor a good air cooler. They are quieter and in a good case like yours they will cool just as well as a 280 aio.