[SOLVED] Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout/White vs. Define S2 Vision Blackout

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I'm selecting a case for a Ryzen 3900X build on an ASUS ROG VIII Hero or 570-E gaming mobo. I need a minimum of 3 hdds, I'd prefer 4 USB ports on front, and the case size WxH is optimally 8x20 (could stretch to 9.2 x 21 or so) to get airflow around the case in the slot where I need to put it.

Those requirements narrow down the field a lot. Three cases that seem to work are the Fractal Define S2 (blackout or white), Define S2 Vision Blackout, and the Define 7 (the latter actually nudges up to 9.5 wide so may be pushing it too much).

The Define S2 Vision surprised me by having cooler temperatures than the Define S2 and it has all PWM fans. I am a bit concerned that it has glass panels on the both sides, top, and front, but maybe that's not a problem. My only other build was 5-6 years ago before glass became popular. I'm sort of inclined toward the Define S2 Vision because of the cooler temperatures, but could be plenty happy with the Define S2 if the glass is an issue.

Aesthetics is personal preference, of course. But I can't really distinguish that much between them from the pictures, so any comments you'd care to make as to what you like or don't like about these are welcome. Other suggestions are welcome, but the 3 hdd and the space requirements seem to knock out the majority of cases from consideration.

Thanks.

Dale

Solution
You've got the current pandemic to blame for availability and pricing...
I agree that the S2 Vision would be more cost effective than replacing the fans in the Define S2 at the moment.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
The following videos may help. Gamers' Nexus does pretty good in-depth reviews of cases - it may be more than what you're asking for though.

FD Define S2
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvfHN2up_uM

FD Define S2 Vision
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2RYppr9lSE

FD Define 7
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeTxUjUrw4A

Thanks. Actually I had watched the first two (somehow missed the Define 7) and found them very helpful. I did struggle with one thing in them. In most cases the S2 Vision had lower temperatures than the S2 (or the R6). But I don't have a context. Is it a lower temperature within a margin of safety so large that even the worst one has nothing about which to be concerned? Is it significant? And is one of the several different measurements more important than the other? In the absence of knowledge to the contrary, I'm assuming the safest course is to think it matters. Thus I'm leaning toward the Vision.

Except for my lacking that context, they were good, and thanks for bringing them up as I will watch the Define 7 one.

The total width available in my space is 11.75." Thus my current total clearance is 3.75" which has worked fine. The Define S2 or Define S2 Vision would result in 2.55". The Define 7 would result in 2.25". I think either might still work, but don't want to push it too far. Still, the latter only reduces clearance by .75" on each side.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In most cases the S2 Vision had lower temperatures than the S2 (or the R6). But I don't have a context. Is it a lower temperature within a margin of safety so large that even the worst one has nothing about which to be concerned? Is it significant? And is one of the several different measurements more important than the other? In the absence of knowledge to the contrary, I'm assuming the safest course is to think it matters. Thus I'm leaning toward the Vision.
I checked the reviews myself, and from what I can tell, the reason that it turns out that way is entirely down to the fans:
-Define S2 is pre-installed with 3x Dynamic X2 GP-14
-Define S2 Vision is pre-installed with 4x Prisma AL-14/PWM
-The fans in the S2 Vision are stronger too. If the Define S2 had the same fans, I'd bet performance would be identical.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I checked the reviews myself, and from what I can tell, the reason that it turns out that way is entirely down to the fans:
-Define S2 is pre-installed with 3x Dynamic X2 GP-14
-Define S2 Vision is pre-installed with 4x Prisma AL-14/PWM
-The fans in the S2 Vision are stronger too. If the Define S2 had the same fans, I'd bet performance would be identical.

Thanks for the reply. What you say seems to make sense, especially as it causes me to recall the reviewer's statement about brute force regarding fans. While I don't particularly care one way or the other about RGB, your comment did cause me to wonder if getting the Define S2 and changing out the fans would be a good idea. But the 3-packs at $75 are out of stock everywhere and single fans at about $40 would make the Define S2 Vision much more cost effective. Perhaps going with it and hoping the extra glass and noise aren't problems is the best alternative unless there are similar fans, RGB or not, that are much less expensive. . I may take a second look at the Define 7 as well.

It's unfortunate that I'm stuck with a very large, nice and comfortable computer desk/work surface arrangement yet old enough to significantly limit the size case I can use, and most smaller cases don't have the three HDD mounts I need. So I've got only a very small set from which to choose.