Question Fractal Design Lumen S36 V2 - Pump noise

Zajic99

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Hello,

I want to ask if it is ok to reduce the pump speed manually on BIOS (DC Mode), because this AiO does not have a PWM pump controller. Won't the pump be destroyed, for example, when reduced to 3000RPM?

The default setting is at full speed - ca. 4050 RPM all the time and the pump is quite noisy.
PC is only for gaming, CPU Ryzen 7 7700X (default settings, no PBO).

Has anyone dealt with the same problem?
Thanks for help!

Zajic99

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Hello,
thank you for response..I installed the radiator in the front - i have case Fractal Design North and that's the only option for 360MM radiator.

(I have a 360MM radiator, I forgot to write…)

so manually reducing RPM the pump could reduce the noise without damage. but temperatures will be higher.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,
thank you for response..I installed the radiator in the front - i have case Fractal Design North and that's the only option for 360MM radiator.

(I have a 360MM radiator, I forgot to write…)

so manually reducing RPM the pump could reduce the noise without damage. but temperatures will be higher.
So it was already in the front. That's good.

Lowering the pump speed doesn't do any harm. They're designed around 100% operation for hours on end.
And yes, thermals may be a little higher. The flow rate of liquid in AIOs isn't very powerful to begin with, so it's ideal to max pump out while you manually set a curve for the fans... but if the pump is too loud like that, it's ok to reel it back in.

Have you tried tilting the case around? It happens sometimes, but air might have gotten trapped in the pump when you initially installed the cooler.

Zajic99

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
So it was already in the front. That's good.

Lowering the pump speed doesn't do any harm. They're designed around 100% operation for hours on end.
And yes, thermals may be a little higher. The flow rate of liquid in AIOs isn't very powerful to begin with, so it's ideal to max pump out while you manually set a curve for the fans... but if the pump is too loud like that, it's ok to reel it back in.

Have you tried tilting the case around? It happens sometimes, but air might have gotten trapped in the pump when you initially installed the cooler.

Hello Phaaze,
i have currently solved the problem lowering the pump speed on curve. Only at highly load is speed on max. i also adjusted the position of the hoses (more the ,,U").

Thanks for the help, it probably can't be solved better if AiO doesn't have it PWM pump.

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I'm in a very similar position myself.
As you can't control rpms in the dedicated pump header, could users ofd the lumen instead plug it into a standard fan header?