[SOLVED] Fractal Design Meshify 2 and Fan options

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I decided to use the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for my new build and ive been trying to decide on the fans to put in this case. I already bought the Kraken X73 360mm RGB cooler which im going to mount in the top of the case as exhaust. I plan on buying more fans for the front. The case supports either 3x 120mm or 3x 140mm, is there any real benefit from going with the bigger 140mm in the front or would the 3 120mm do just fine?

I also see this case can fit two bottom fans but I've heard that you could go without them and be fine. I've been thinking of going with the Lian li unifans im just trying to decide whether I should go 120 or 140mm. Any suggestions would be great.

Solution
is there any real benefit from going with the bigger 140mm in the front or would the 3 120mm do just fine?
140mm fans should in theory, move more air while being quieter at a given rpm, compared to 120mm.

I also see this case can fit two bottom fans but I've heard that you could go without them and be fine.
Bottom fans are pretty redundant.
-Many obstacles present = high air resistance, thus forcing the user to 'brute force it' by maxing the fan speed. If they don't run the fans high, then the fans don't really do anything.
But you know, some folks want to fill all spaces up, whether it's functional or not.

-The gpu fans already act as the bottom intake, plus they're not as close to all the major obstacles, so they...
Jan 30, 2021
I'd rather go for the 4000d airflow. Anyways, for the fan configuration, go with 140mm if you can, so 3 140mm in the front, and one rear exhaust. If you'll use the 4000d airflow, go with your cooler in the top, 3 120mm fans in the front, and 1 120mm at the back. I think the 4000d airflow has great cooling potential. The 5000d airflow is even better.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I'd rather go for the 4000d airflow. Anyways, for the fan configuration, go with 140mm if you can, so 3 140mm in the front, and one rear exhaust. If you'll use the 4000d airflow, go with your cooler in the top, 3 120mm fans in the front, and 1 120mm at the back. I think the 4000d airflow has great cooling potential. The 5000d airflow is even better.

Is the 4000d and 5000d a specific case or something or just airflow in general? So do you suggest I dont even worry about fans ar the bottom and just put the cooler up top, 3 intakes in front and 1 exhaust in back? I don't really want to buy the bottom fans if their unnecessary

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
is there any real benefit from going with the bigger 140mm in the front or would the 3 120mm do just fine?
140mm fans should in theory, move more air while being quieter at a given rpm, compared to 120mm.

I also see this case can fit two bottom fans but I've heard that you could go without them and be fine.
-Many obstacles present = high air resistance, thus forcing the user to 'brute force it' by maxing the fan speed. If they don't run the fans high, then the fans don't really do anything.
But you know, some folks want to fill all spaces up, whether it's functional or not.

-The gpu fans already act as the bottom intake, plus they're not as close to all the major obstacles, so they make for more effective bottom intakes anyway.

I'm the voice of practicality...

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I decided to use the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for my new build and ive been trying to decide on the fans to put in this case. I already bought the Kraken X73 360mm RGB cooler which im going to mount in the top of the case as exhaust. I plan on buying more fans for the front. The case supports either 3x 120mm or 3x 140mm, is there any real benefit from going with the bigger 140mm in the front or would the 3 120mm do just fine?

I also see this case can fit two bottom fans but I've heard that you could go without them and be fine. I've been thinking of going with the Lian li unifans im just trying to decide whether I should go 120 or 140mm. Any suggestions would be great.
Go with the 140mm in the front and 120mm top /rad and back it should be about even as far as pressure after the flow you loose going through the rad.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Won't make a real difference either way. With the 140mm on front, you xan spin them slightly slower than a 120mm and get equitable air flow.

It already comes with 3x decent fans, save your money and just use them in front. With an aio you do not need a rear exhaust, that's a dinosaur port left over from AT cases.

Put the rad up top-rear, use the stock fans in front. That's chimney. Plenty of direct air flow pattern. Run your pc for a while, game on it, look at temps, then decide if you need more or need to change things up.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Won't make a real difference either way. With the 140mm on front, you xan spin them slightly slower than a 120mm and get equitable air flow.

It already comes with 3x decent fans, save your money and just use them in front. With an aio you do not need a rear exhaust, that's a dinosaur port left over from AT cases.

Put the rad up top-rear, use the stock fans in front. That's chimney. Plenty of direct air flow pattern. Run your pc for a while, game on it, look at temps, then decide if you need more or need to change things up.

Yeah I could do that, i just feel though as if I already have the x73 rgb aio it would only be fitting to change the front fans with rgb as well to match ya know.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

-The gpu fans already act as the bottom intake, plus they're not as close to all the major obstacles, so they make for more effective bottom intakes anyway.

I'm the voice of practicality...
I will agree on that point.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a hole. It's clearly intended to have a fan mounted there, and more fans = more air, obviously. So if I want to get my cpu below ambient temps, obviously I need to fill every hole, just as the designer intended. Now all I need is the cheapest fans possible, and they must be RGB because everyone knows you get better fps from gaming RGB in a case. Light makes Right!

And with all those fans, I shouldn't have any issues with the included stock cooler and a massive overclock. But it says I'm overheating, so must be bad paste, I have some solvent that should be good to remove it. Or maybe I can just re-use the old stuff, it might have been too thick anyway.......

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
There's a hole. It's clearly intended to have a fan mounted there, and more fans = more air, obviously. So if I want to get my cpu below ambient temps, obviously I need to fill every hole, just as the designer intended. Now all I need is the cheapest fans possible, and they must be RGB because everyone knows you get better fps from gaming RGB in a case. Light makes Right!

And with all those fans, I shouldn't have any issues with the included stock cooler and a massive overclock. But it says I'm overheating, so must be bad paste, I have some solvent that should be good to remove it. Or maybe I can just re-use the old stuff, it might have been too thick anyway.......

Im assuming this is a copy pasta troll lol

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Im assuming this is a copy pasta troll lol
Yeah, but there's some truth to it. Oftentimes, users will set too many bars and screw themselves.
Perhaps settle for a more realistic, 'best 2 out of 3'?

"There's a hole. It's clearly intended to have a fan mounted there, and more fans = more air, obviously."
This is doing it backwards, prioritizing airBLOW over airFLOW.

"So if I want to get my cpu below ambient temps, obviously I need to fill every hole, just as the designer intended."
A combo of not knowing how physics works and prioritizing airblow.

"Now all I need is the cheapest fans possible, and they must be RGB..."
This one should be obvious, but it isn't. Cheap and RGB do not go together well. They suck. Priority goes to looks, and cooling takes a back seat. It's even worse if the user is thinking of installing such fans on a hybrid cooler.
If a particular model has both RGB and non-RGB variants, the non-RGB will always be the more effective cooling medium. Period.
Manufacturers want to keep power consumption within a certain range, and the addition of LEDs take away from that.
Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very minor thing: LEDs do add to the heat inside a chassis.

"And with all those fans, I shouldn't have any issues with the included stock cooler and a massive overclock. But it says I'm overheating, so must be bad paste, I have some solvent that should be good to remove it. Or maybe I can just re-use the old stuff, it might have been too thick anyway..."
Cooler and OC - physics again.
Thermal paste application is pretty difficult to screw up, unless the paste has specific instructions that were ignored(TG Kryonaut, for example), or the user bought some cheap crap off of Aliexpress or something.
I also hope people clean their PCs more frequently than the time it takes for paste to go bad...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Actually it's a satire of a combination of multiple postings by many different people, just in the course of the last week or so. Which is pretty bad. The assumptions and guesses and opinions were later corrected and/or educated (mostly by other regular posters and knowledgeable ppl).

Case designs are very rarely intended to fit a niche. Almost all (including such things as motherboards) are designed for the masses. Things such as a case having 9 fan locations or removable hdd trays allow for options. Not requirements.

You don't need front intakes nor a rear exhaust as such, what is needed is a clear path of airflow. For some, that means bottom intakes and top exhaust, a chimney affect, so blowing/pulling air 90° sideways is counter-productive. Options.

To start understanding case designs, you gotta go back a few years, to the AT full towers. Those ancient cases had an upside down U shaped lid that was a single unit, unscrew 8 screws and lift the 2x sides and the top off as a single piece. Royal pain to deal with at times. This made side/top fans impossible as an option, requiring a high rear exhaust, which often as not was just the psu - fan down mounted high. Very little to no thought on real airflow.

But many did put a 80-92mm rear exhaust fan. And with the invention of the tower cooler, that became the obvious choice in later ATX cases, as the preferred exhaust. Even with subsequent changes and multiple top fan options, ppl still insist on using it, even without a tower cooler. You simply do not always need it, a top mounted aio or 2x top mounted fans are more than sufficient, but ppl get stuck with assumptions.

The trick with airflow is creating an effective path of in-out. Multiple fan locations don't always lend a helping hand to that, the static pressure of the fans blowing air in several directions means a circulatory pattern, heat blowing around the case, not through the case. There are exceptions, but they are few.

Last edited: