Review Fractal Design Meshify 2 Review: A High-TDP Workstations Wonder

Makaveli

Splendid
What is the difference between the Meshify 2 vs Meshify S2?

edit

Think I found my answer "Meshify 2 is essentially the excellent Define 7 "

So it just an updated Define 7 case.

Last edited:

gman68

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
EDIT: Oops. I totally swung and missed. Didn't realize this is actually a review of the Meshify 2 and not the S2. My bad.

I have the Meshify S2 and the hard drive mounting is very different than the unit reviewed here. Viewing the models on the fractal design web site, you have either a revised version of the S2 that isn't updated on their web site, or you have a Meshify 2. The S2 that I have, and pictured on the web site does allow for 8 hard drives, It has 3 brackets for mounting drives on the backside of the case and that is all. It is a fabulous case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Splendid
I'm also on the Meshify S2 as you can see in my sig and love the case. The only thing i like about this is what they did on the front panel but for me I never take that off enough for it to matter to me. Front panel comes off 1 a year when I clean. All the changes made for hard drives also don't matter for me.

And I agree on the Current Meshify S2 you can install 2 m2 drives on motherboard, 4 SSD's using the back mount and front mount then you still have the 3 mounting brackets on the backside of the case for 3 more drives so that is 9 drives total.

I've moved bulk storage out of my Desktop PC's and have an 8 TB NAS so the days of stuffing a bunch of hard drives in my case are gone.

This review covers some good comparisons.

View: https://youtu.be/ICt_F9hMXk4

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
can't go wrong with this form factor. about same class as the Lian LI LanCool 2.

the only thing missing in this modern form factor is one 5. 1/4 slot. could be sideways. or even a slot for a laptop's sized optical drive.

i still have a preference for the LanCool 2 because of the discreet side intakes for the GPU.
reviewers only test the default configuration, and not with all fan slots populated.

Makaveli

Splendid
can't go wrong with this form factor. about same class as the Lian LI LanCool 2.

the only thing missing in this modern form factor is one 5. 1/4 slot. could be sideways. or even a slot for a laptop's sized optical drive.

i still have a preference for the LanCool 2 because of the discreet side intakes for the GPU.
reviewers only test the default configuration, and not with all fan slots populated.

Who still uses optical media in 2020 :p

My main gaming PC still has an optical drive. I still use it regularly actually too. I'm still surprised at how many few HTPC cases have optical drives too. All my media PCs have optical drives for playing movies.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
For people who are missing out great PC cases just because they want optical drive bay.

Use external DVD/Blueray drive.

First , it portable can be used with notebooks , all PCs you have .

and second : it is port powered . does not even need external adapter.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I dont know why case makers insist on adding fans to their cases . IMO fans should be sold separately .. and the case should come without any fans to reduce cost when we buy better ones from Noctua or Corsair or Phobya or any other respected fan makers.

Makaveli

Splendid
I dont know why case makers insist on adding fans to their cases . IMO fans should be sold separately .. and the case should come without any fans to reduce cost when we buy better ones from Noctua or Corsair or Phobya or any other respected fan makers.

Average user don't replace case fans. Users that are move advanced would obviously replace them for better models. But they have to cater to the winder market.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Average user don't replace case fans. Users that are move advanced would obviously replace them for better models. But they have to cater to the winder market.

When the market turns into cases without fans installed , all people will buy the case then choose their fans. wont be about "replacing" any more , will be a part of the components , just like adding a PSU . some will choose cheap fans "Average users" and some will choose the best fans.

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
I really like Fractal cases. Had a mini itx one before going ATX but for my ATX I went for MSI case which I love. Fractal are great though and have loads of cable management room.

For people who are missing out great PC cases just because they want optical drive bay.
Use external DVD/Blueray drive

In my experience those are you be to be less reliable. More read / write errors, and they just don't last as long. For that privilege you also get to pay more for them too.

I do agree with you on the fans though. The first thing I do is replace every fan in a case usually adding fans as well. Unfortunately this is won't change as it's a selling point / feature for many.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
In my experience those are you be to be less reliable. More read / write errors, and they just don't last as long. For that privilege you also get to pay more for them too.

I do agree with you on the fans though. The first thing I do is replace every fan in a case usually adding fans as well. Unfortunately this is won't change as it's a selling point / feature for many.

I have this :

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XD07UHD

it works without any problems ... and supports UHD as well.

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
My only problem with Fractal cases is the hard drive tray. If you are mounting a lot of them (normally in the storage layout), you will come to hate that tray. An awful lot of by-guess-and-by-gosh wiggling and futzing with the thing to get the pin-and-slot minimalist mounting arrangement to line up. Replacing a drive in the middle of a rack of 6 or 8 can be a real struggle.

Jan 27, 2024
I’ve just bought this case for a modest-not-gaudy looking Threadripper 7960 workstation build without using a full ATX case. My “ideal” case would be a Define 7 with its optical drive slot and with an airflow-style door rather than solid. In the end I chose the Meshify over the Define 7 because airflow won out over an optical drive bay (which I still use for blu-ray).

Meshify Pros: beautiful construction; configuration possibilities, heaps of front to back space. Cons: listed as having EATX motherboard support but grommetted cable slots at end of motherboard not movable so slots either blocked or not practically usable; one of the motherboard cable slots at top of case is obstructed by Nexus fan hub - can’t get an EPS 8-pin connector through. Top fan/radiator tray won’t fit over-width Hardware Labs radiators without hackery.