[SOLVED] Fractal Design Meshify S2 top filter removal

Colif

Win 11 Master
Anyone actually removed the top filter from the case? Can it be done without damaging it?

I don't mean the front filter, half the videos online show the front one.

I mean the fine filter inside the removable top section of the case.

I need to take it out as I have 2 exhaust fans inside top of case and they are leaving a lovely white circle on top of case. I don't want to stop dust leaving the system.

Solution
Anyone actually removed the top filter from the case? Can it be done without damaging it?

I need to take it out as I have 2 exhaust fans inside top of case and they are leaving a lovely white circle on top of case. I don't want to stop dust leaving the system.
Bend the metal tabs up on the grill I just used my finger. The plastic piece will come right out and the filter is under it.

Take note of the exact way the plastic retainer is positioned it needs to go back in the same exact way it was removed.

Clean filter or leave it out place the plastic retainer back in and just bend the...

dimtodim

Reputable

i cant understand what u want to do and after that what u will get :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

It should have a push button on the back of the case toward the top.

https://www.bit-tech.net/media/image/2019/1/c0957017-3892-4be3-96bc-b637c842b3cf.jpg

EDIT I just confirmed this with my brother that has that case. Push the button (just above the back I/O } and it kicks that corner up then just pull it off, he said you might need to get a fingernail under it or something the button don't push it up far.

As for removing the filter from it's bracket leaving only the top grill in that part you should be able to just cut it and pull it out in parts not 100% sure about that but from the looks of that picture you have the plastic bottom (top look from my pic) and the metal mesh that is secured to the plastic (bent over tabs) That should be the only thing holding the filter in I see no reason for them to use any kind of glue to secure it.

I think you could just cut out the fan area filter pull that out and leave the rest of it in their to keep dust from just falling in when the pc is not in use. ( without cutting the plastic veins)

The way it looks you have the bottom part of the top, plastic veins and frame, filter in-between that and the top mesh with the bent tabs holding the filter in place to the frame.

EDIT again I would leave all the edges intact since that is probably acting like a spacer to keep the frame and top mesh part separated instead of pulling that part of it out out.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know about the button, I was asking about the fine filter inside the black part.

I was trying to avoid cutting but I will see what I can do. All its doing right now is making case look bad, i don't think it stops any airflow as I have more exhaust than i probably need.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't have hands-on experience with the case, but I'd assume you'd depress the 5 tabs (red) and lift it out (blue)?
All the filters should be removeable/washable.

111.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nice idea... but after looking at the tabs, they don't move. Down or sideways, feel moulded into place.. i didn't try too hard.

I think there more there to maybe act as guides for putting case lid back on, it only goes on in one way. The tabs that extend horizontally from the edges are the same, there to lock the part into place

I will mess with it tomorrow.

Even the fractal design site doesn't show any info, search for Meshify and get normal S2 video on how to remove its top filter, but its a different design on top.

Front filter - easy - https://support.fractal-design.com/...-to-guide-meshify-series-front-filter-removal

Top filter.... nothing.

I wonder how dirty front filter is, it may not be so bad as the only intake I have is my AIO fans which have the radiator between them and filters. I don't see the front often due to how case is situated at other end of my room.
7VZs6mU.jpg

its why the top doesn't bother me as I can't see it all day.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i appreciate the help, I haven't tried removing foam from front filter yet as I can't tell if it is dirty. I could guess based on fact there is dust on inside of top and it had to get there from somewhere... but I live in hope :)

Front of case has more info on it than top does. As I am in the future (Australia) I will undoubtedly beat Zerk to Saturday and find out for myself :)

Reactions: Barty1884

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Bend the metal tabs up on the grill I just used my finger. The plastic piece will come right out and the filter is under it.

Take note of the exact way the plastic retainer is positioned it needs to go back in the same exact way it was removed.

Clean filter or leave it out place the plastic retainer back in and just bend the tabs back.

3 Pictures

View: https://imgur.com/a/V2mh96F

Reactions: Colif
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see the tabs you mean now, they aren't the ones Barty referred to, they run along outside of the cover.

I might see if I can get another top for case and take the filter out of it so if I ever decide to not have exhaust fans in roof, I can still have filters.

I vacuumed the filter right now, it is clean for the moment. I will have to think about it

PC seems louder now.

Last edited: