Fractal Design Reveals Node 804 Micro-ATX Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
My last case was a Fractal, and it quickly became my favorite one of all time. It was solid, clean, simple, and functional. This might be my next case.

major-error

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
If you really want to pack this thing solid (costs notwithstanding) for gaming & storage, that middle slot free bonus goes away since the most SATA3 connections current boards support is 8...[12 drives in a case? zounds!]

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I don't really get why a dual-chamber design is important if the GPU and CPU end up in the same chamber. Hard drives don't take much to cool and most PSUs can handle their own cooling anyway, so separating them into their own chamber doesn't seem like much of a selling point.To me a true two-chamber design would have an installable shelf that separates the PCIe cards from the CPU cooler. Each chamber then has one intake fan each, with the CPU chamber using a rear exhaust, and the PCIe chamber using a top exhaust (or PCIe covers with grills) for venting air. Bundle a decent temperature based fan controller and you've got yourself a significant two-chamber setup. I mean, this is what many workstations do, and with good reason, a proper gaming rig would be no different.I dunno, just feels like this dual chamber thing is a marketing point and little else, as it's not like you're wasting a ton of extra energy cooling your hard-drives and PSU, and in fact you'll probably waste more energy by giving them their own, separate cooling.

Marcus Lewis

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I don't really get why a dual-chamber design is important if the GPU and CPU end up in the same chamber. Hard drives don't take much to cool and most PSUs can handle their own cooling anyway, so separating them into their own chamber doesn't seem like much of a selling point.To me a true two-chamber design would have an installable shelf that separates the PCIe cards from the CPU cooler. Each chamber then has one intake fan each, with the CPU chamber using a rear exhaust, and the PCIe chamber using a top exhaust (or PCIe covers with grills) for venting air. Bundle a decent temperature based fan controller and you've got yourself a significant two-chamber setup. I mean, this is what many workstations do, and with good reason, a proper gaming rig would be no different.I dunno, just feels like this dual chamber thing is a marketing point and little else, as it's not like you're wasting a ton of extra energy cooling your hard-drives and PSU, and in fact you'll probably waste more energy by giving them their own, separate cooling.

zephyrus17

Reputable
May 6, 2014
There's no way you can design a partition between the CPU and PCIe that can totally block the heat. Different motherboards have different designs. However, if you use AIOs or watercooling, you can effectively make it a dual-chamber design by putting the radiator in the 2nd chamber. Though the components produce heat, they will be isolated from the source. You could have the heat from the CPU and GPU go to 2 radiators in either chamber. Thus, obtaining effective heat isolation.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013

Sure, but it doesn't really need to; there's a limit to what motherboards can really put right next to PCIe slots, so it should be possible to fit a shelf that leaves only a small gap to accommodate the motherboard. That'd still be enough to limit the amount of heat passing between the two sections so that fans can focus on clearing heat only from the CPU or GPU(s). Even just providing a mean of mounting such a shelf would be a good feature, as it could allow modders to cut one of their own that fits more exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS