[SOLVED] Fractal Meshify C good enough for air cooled Threadripper?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys
I'm going to do a 3960x build with a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cooler. I'm conscious that I need to get plenty of air in and out so I'm looking at a front mesh style case.

Will the Meshify C be good enough? I'd put 2 x 140mm Noctuas at the front and top.

My graphics card will be a 1660ti.

Regards, Andrew

Solution
Product pages for both of those coolers specifically do not include a listing for TR4 or sTRX4.

The coolers in that video are NOT the coolers you recommended. The Dark rock pro 4 is NOT the same as the Dark rock pro TR4 (In the video) and the NH-D15 is NOT the same as the NH-U14S TR4 SP3 (In the video), which are the coolers used in that video, not the DRP4 and D15. So again, a lack of correctness is evident. It's understandable that you might confuse these coolers, but they are no more the same than two people from different sides of the world are. In fact, overall, they are not even remotely similar other than the fact that they are all CPU coolers.
Product pages for both of those coolers specifically do not include a listing for TR4 or sTRX4.

The coolers in that video are NOT the coolers you recommended. The Dark rock pro 4 is NOT the same as the Dark rock pro TR4 (In the video) and the NH-D15 is NOT the same as the NH-U14S TR4 SP3 (In the video), which are the coolers used in that video, not the DRP4 and D15. So again, a lack of correctness is evident. It's understandable that you might confuse these coolers, but they are no more the same than two people from different sides of the world are. In fact, overall, they are not even remotely similar other than the fact that they are all CPU coolers.

Solution

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys
I thought this thread has fizzled out a while ago, but I just checked it to see it had taken on a life of its own!

I thought long and hard about a threadripper but in the end decided against it because of the lack of mainstream cooling solutions. I don't see the point in doing a £3000 build not being confident you'll be able to it cool.

I'm going for a 3950x instead. I'll wait til gen3 comes out first and see if I can get a cut-price one.

I could use more cores for the work out do (3d laser scan processing) but will make do with 16. If it bottlenecks then I'll use a second PC do other stuff whilst the 3950X is munching through the data.

Cheers, Andrew