Frame drops after CPU fan installation

Feb 9, 2019
Hello community,

So I will try to make my story short, but I doubt that is possible.

I decided to start streaming and noticed that my, at that time, rig was not capable of giving me the experience I wanted.

Here was my previous build:

MB - Asus B150 PRO GAMING/AURA

CPU - Intel Core i5-7400, Quad Core, 3.00GHz, 6MB, LGA1151, 14nm, 65W, VGA, BOX

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 OC, 3GB GDDR5 (192 Bit), HDMI, 2xDVI, DP

PSU - SilverStone SST-ST50F-PB 100% modular, 500W, 80P LUS Bronze, 120mm FAN

RAM - 2x Kingston HyperX FURY 4GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM 1.2V, Black Series

And without streaming I had only around 60-80 frames on PUBG with very low settings, also around 160 frames on CS GO.

So i started to upgrade my gear slowly to increase the performance.

First I upgraded my RAM sticks to the same brand but 2x 8gb 2400MHz because my memory usage was at 90% at the time so now it stays around 60% of used memory.

There was no more bottlenecking on the memory so i found my game having less stutters and that was great and all. I didn’t stop there so I decided to upgrade my CPU.

I bought the intel i7-7700K 4.2GHz and there was an additional 20-30fps increase. With OBS streamlabs i was runing my PUBG at around 70-90 frames.

Not enough for the passionate gamer so I decided to upgrade my GPU to gtx 1080 ti from Gigabyte 11gb.

So then i was finaly pleased streaming games with 120 frames and everything was very smooth, but still i was curious why on very low settings I only manage to get 120 frames?

I checked that my temperatures were skyrocketing for my CPU as it was 90-100 degrees and i knew I had to get a new aftermarket cooler. So i upgraded my stock cooler that i had from my i5-7400 to a brand new Noctua, NH-D14 CPU Cooler. So i installed it and cleaned all my other parts and did a nice cable management. Also installed two exta coolers for my case Noctua, NF-S12A PWM 120mm fan; and Noctua, NF-P12-PWM 120mm fan.

So i have everything set and i turn my pc on and everything looks good, so I start my PUBG and open my OBS and BAM i get 40-60 frames...

My temperatures are good 50-75 on CPU, 60-70 on GPU. And from here I can’t find any solutions.

I have resocketed all of my components twice, i have ran all malware scans, i have updated my drivers but nothing.

I saw some suggestions that my PSU was too weak for this settup and that 500w is not enough.

And I said f*** it and upgraded to a Corsair, 750W, TX750M, 80+ Gold, Modular.

But still nothing guys, after all of this i just decided to reinstall my pc and try it then, so i did that, again got all the drivers/windows updates but everyhing is the same guys...

I have no freaking clue of why am I having this issue at the moment. Please don’t say that I have to upgrade my MB because before the CPU cooler it was all runing good at 120 frames.

So this is my story that is still unsolved. And overall I believe that my frames should be even higher than that (120).

I am thankful for all the ideas and recomendations but so far nothing has worked for me.

winks42

Respectable
Are you still rocking the b150? Also in task manager have the games at high priority and make sure and change some stream settings down a tad. Also if you can oc your cpu to get petter performance. I have a 7600k and 1080 and run my streams at 1080p at 60fps and get 90 frames on high in Apex. Good luck

Feb 9, 2019
Yes I am still rocking the b150 MB, because I didn’t see a reason to upgrade as all of my hardware could be connected and everything is supported.

I am running 1920x1080 recording, but as said before i had 120 frames, so I don’t think that it is the problem.

I guess I didn’t mention that i don’t neciseraly have to start the stream for my fps to be low, but only open the streaming software. And yes I have switched alternatives but the same low fps problem persists.

I believe that I can’t overclock my CPU on this motherboard.

On Apex I have similar FPS, but everything is very low or disabled in my video settings.

Feb 9, 2019

I am not a master at this, but there is certainly something that is not working, the problem is that I have no clue what.

I have set all max performance boxes in Nvidia panel.

Power saving options are off.

Resolution that I am playing is 16:9 to 1920x1080 for most of the games.