Frame rate being capped at 60 fps with a new 144hz monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2018
I have a laptop that is meant to run games at high frames. I have a msi gs63vr stealth pro - https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS63VR-6RF-Stealth-Pro.html which has all high end hardware inside the laptop including the nvidia gtx 1060 6gb of ram. I have the msi mag24c monitor - https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG24C I have a hdmi 2.0 cable connecting the monitor and laptop because it doesn't have a DP port. I was wondering if i need to do anything to the gpu to allow it to be uncapped. The monitor is capped at 60hz at 60 fps. but on my laptop i can easily get 120 hz with over 150 fps. i was wondering if it is the connection between to two or a problem with the gpu. if the connection doesn't work, would a thunderbolt 3 to DP port adapter work to get higher hertz and a higher framerate?

ironcreeper2004

Reputable
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why the refresh rate is capped at 60hz is because you need a Display Port. They allow you to run at higher refresh rates, do you mean your laptop doesn't have a Display port? Because that monitor does, if you do mean that then yes try using an adapter

Apr 5, 2018
yeah my laptop sadly doesnt have a DP port but i dont have a thunderbolt 3 port. so if i get a thunderbolt 3 port to DP port would that be good enough?

That would work too. But you probably just need to set a custom resolution.

Apr 5, 2018
If the monitor can support 120 hertz over hdmi why are my frame rates capped at 60 fps when using the hdmi 2.0? is there any way to fix this. Also if i needed to would the thunderbolt 3 port to DP port adapter work better than the hdmi 2.0? thanks for all your help

There could be many reasons. As I said, read:

6.  Setting Up 120+ Hz, Verifying, and Troubleshooting

• 6.1.  Setting the refresh rate
    • If you haven't tried to set the refresh rate to anything else, make sure you do that. Not all monitors set themselves to 120+ Hz automatically. The instructions for setting the refresh rate in Windows 10 are in Section 6.1.1 below.

If you have tried but there are no options above 60 Hz, see Section 6.1.2.
      6.1.1.  How to set the refresh rate in Windows 10
      • Right-click on image links to open them without closing the spoiler.

Make sure GPU drivers are installed and that you have restarted the computer since installing them.

■ Right-click on the desktop and go to "Display Settings" [Image][/*]■ If you have multiple monitors, select the correct one (if you are not sure, click "Identify" and it will show you which number monitor is which) [Image][/*]■ Scroll down and click "Display adapter properties" [Image][/*]■ Go to the "Monitor" tab [Image][/*]■ The next instruction will cause the screen to turn black for a moment. If it does not come back, hit the Escape key or wait 20 seconds.[/*]■ Change the refresh rate and hit OK [Image][/*]■ Click "Keep changes" when it prompts you to do so [Image][/*]
      6.1.2.  If you have tried to change the refresh rate, but there are no options above 60 Hz
      • Make sure you are connected with the correct cables. Carefully read the sections of this guide that deal with the cables or adapters you are using.

If you are using a TV, it is most likely only a 60 Hz display. Almost all TVs advertise fake refresh rates like "120 Hz" or "240 Hz" when they are really only capable of 60 Hz.

If you are using an AMD graphics card and using DVI or HDMI to connect, run the AMD Pixel Clock Patcher and restart the computer, then try to set the refresh rate again as described in Section 6.1.1.

If you are connected with DisplayPort, check the monitor's menu for a DP version option and set it to the highest available. If you can’t find any such control, read the monitor manual, sometimes it’s a hidden option.

• (Images may take a long time to load)
            B35sQn8.png
            Example: enabling DisplayPort 1.2 capability on a Dell U3415W
        If you are trying to set the refresh rate from the NVIDIA control panel, scroll down the resolution list and make sure you select from the "PC" section if the maximum resolution is listed there.

• (Images may take a long time to load)
            isKHgnz.png
            Selecting from the "PC" section of the resolution list
        If there are still no options above 60 Hz, try setting a custom resolution (see Section 6.3).
    6.2.  Verifying 120+ Hz Operation
    • The Blurbusters UFO test is commonly used to check high refresh rate monitors. This test does not always work properly since it depends on browser support. It is recommended to use Firefox for the UFO test. Chrome does not usually work above 60 Hz.

Make sure to follow all onscreen instructions, including setting the high refresh monitor as your primary display and closing all other tabs and windows.

Even in the best cases, the test may fail to detect refresh rates above 144 Hz, so don't be too worried if the test detects your monitor as having a lower refresh rate. It is not 100% reliable.
    6.3.  How to set a custom resolution
    • 6.3.1.  NVIDIA:

■ Open the Start Menu and type "Control Panel" and press Enter[/*]
          ■ Open the NVIDIA Control Panel (NVCP) [Image][/*]
          ■ Click "Change Resolution" [Image][/*]
          • ■ If there are no options besides 3D Settings, then you are most likely using a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus enabled. You should set a custom resolution from the Intel control panel instead, using the instructions from the Intel section below. Alternatively you can reboot and check the BIOS for an option to disable NVIDIA Optimus/switchable graphics).[/*]
          ■ If you have multiple monitors, select the correct monitor at the top[/*]
          ■ Below the list of resolutions, click the "Customize" button [Image][/*]
          • ■ If the Customize button is greyed out, go to the "Manage 3D Settings" section and make sure all options inside "DSR - Factors" are unchecked. Custom resolutions cannot be used with DSR. [Image]■ If the Customize button is still greyed out, make sure you have no pending changes. If there are "Apply / Cancel" buttons in the bottom right corner of the NVCP, that means you have pending changes. You need to either apply or cancel them before setting a custom resolution.[/*][/*]
          ■ Click "Create Custom Resolution..." [Image][/*]
          ■ Set the horizontal pixels, vertical lines, and refresh rate boxes to the values you want, and in the Timing section, set the Standard option to "CVT reduced blank" [Image][/*]
          ■ The next instruction will cause the screen to turn black for a moment. If it does not come back, hit the Escape key or wait 20 seconds.[/*]
          ■ Click Test, then when it prompts you to save the resolution, click Yes [Image][/*]
          ■ Click OK to close the Customize window[/*]
          ■ In the NVCP Change Resolution section, scroll to the top of the resolution list, your custom resolution should be in its own section at the top. Select it, then hit "Apply" in the bottom right. [Image][/*]
      6.3.2.  AMD:

■ Go to the Start Menu and open the AMD Settings app [Image][/*]
          ■ Click the "Displays" section at the top [Image][/*]
          ■ Below the list of displays, in the Custom Resolutions section, click "Create" [Image][/*]
          ■ Set the Horizontal and Vertical Resolution and Refresh Rate to the desired values, and set the Timing Standard to "CVT-Reduced Blanking" [Image][/*]
          ■ In the upper right corner, click Save (this will cause the screen to go black momentarily) [Image][/*]
          ■ The setting you just created will now appear as an option in Windows. Change the refresh rate through Windows Settings as explained in Section 6.1.1.[/*]
      6.3.3.  Intel:

■ Open the Start Menu, type "Control Panel", and hit Enter.[/*]
          ■ Open the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel [Image][/*]
          ■ Make sure the Intel control panel is set to Advanced Mode [Image][/*]
          ■ Go to the Custom Resolutions section [Image][/*]
          ■ If you have multiple displays connected, select the correct display from the dropdown menu at the top[/*]
          ■ Using the "Basic Settings" section of the Custom Resolutions menu, set the Width, Height, and Refresh Rate to the desired values, set the Timing Standard to "CVT-RB", then click "Add" [Image][/*]
          ■ Click "Add" and then click Yes when it prompts you to continue. [Image][/*]
          ■ The new format should now appear as an option in Windows (you may have to restart the computer, I don’t remember). Set the refresh rate through Windows according to the instructions in Section 6.1.1.[/*]
      6.3.4.  All Platforms: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU):

■ Download the Custom Resolution Utility by ToastyX here and extract the contents to a new folder[/*]
          ■ Open CRU.exe and select the correct monitor in the dropdown list at the top. The list may contain monitors that were plugged into the computer in the past that are not present now. The monitors marked "(Active)" are the ones currently plugged in. [Image][/*]
          ■ In the "Detailed Resolutions" section, click "Add" [Image][/*]
          • ■ Only four detailed resolutions are allowed (or 3 plus a name). If there are already 4 resolutions, you will have to remove one of them. Also if you fill up all 4 slots, just be aware that the monitor’s name will no longer be detected since there is no room for it, so it will show up as "Generic PnP Monitor". This doesn’t affect anything though.[/*]
          ■ Set the timing dropdown at the top to "LCD Reduced". [Image][/*]
          ■ Set the resolution and refresh rate to the desired values and click OK, then click OK on the main CRU window to exit the program. [Image][/*]
          ■ In the CRU folder, run "restart64.exe" to restart the graphics driver. (Screen will go black for a few moments) [Image][/*]
          ■ The new format should now be available as an option in Windows, change the refresh rate as described in Section 6.1.1.[/*]
          ■ If things aren’t working, you can revert to defaults by selecting the correct display in CRU and pressing the "delete" button. Or, you can run "reset-all.exe" in the CRU folder to delete all custom profiles. [Image][/*]

Status
Not open for further replies.